The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Creating A Family Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I could use some help. I am putting together several shows for elementary children, or children and their parents. My kids, who are 7 & 9, are a part of my show. We are basically a Family Magic Show. But I am struggling with ideas of how to incorporate my children into the show. We dress in matching clothes. They often do typical assistant stuff.

I sometimes can think of unique patters that tie them into the program during a routine. For example, during my linking rings routine, I become very "confused" as to how these things are working, and one of my children, who is the "expert" and guides me through the routine, which is kind of entertaining. I don't know of any resources that give ideas for this sort of thing. Do any of you have ideas, or can anyone point me in the right direction?
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21989 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is something that will be unique to you and your show. Try to think funny, like having the kids take something while you are not watching and the trick still turns out.

Brainstorm and rehearse 2 hours every day. As you and the kids rehearse, ideas will come to you. If you don't rehearse, then I don't think you will come up with much that works.

As a last resort, use them in an illusion. Visit http://www.abbottmagic.com and down load their catalog. See the boy to rabbit illusion, easy to build yourself if you have a workshop.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
That is a good suggestion. You're thinking exactly in the direction that I want to go. Such as the kids not following my commands in an obvious way, and that being part of the gag and the trick. I'm wondering if some clowning skits could be modified. Those that I have seen so far all seem to involve water. I really don't want to get wet.

I have built two illusions and use them in those as well. I'll look at abbotts catalog. I'll check out the boy to rabbit illusion - sounds interesting.

Wow - the two hours of rehearal time a day is callenging. That would solve all my problems, don't see that happening though. Thanks for the suggestions... And I am open to others...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Your youngest son can be reading a "Magic Book" and following the instructions, perform great miracles on stage.

One person can be blundering on stage while the other acts as a mentor and the youngest become the world's greatest magician on stage just from following instructions from a MAGIC BOOK!

Hope you like this.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks James. I like the magic book idea. I'll think through fleshing this suggesion out. Very much appreciated.

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Let us know how it turns out.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Tony,
I am blessed to have a wife and two great kids who all carry equal weight in our show! I am fortunate to be able to incorporate thier own talents and interests. This evolved over a period of years.

My advice...For now use the assistant, cameo role ideas to get them on stage and comfortable with that. Then, as they develop personally try to feature them as individuals and build on their unique personhood.

It can be a challenge, but having everyone on the bill has been very rewarding for us. Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Hey Ed,

Thanks for making me aware of your family show. I spent some time looking at your web site. Very impressive. Your family is quite talented.

So, I'm getting the picture that folks aren't aware of any resources, per se, to guide toward incorporating family into a show. Is that right?

Take Care...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Once again it appears that we are the 'music makers and the dreamers of the dreams'. I have never encountered a book, etc. about using family members specifically. Outside of Frances Willard talking about working with her famous father and taking over the spirit cabinet act when he retired...I cant think of any. I wonder if such a resource would be in demand or if most magi use the shows to get away from family! *Kidding*Kidding*
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Creating A Family Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL