The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which magazine is good? Genii or Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Liyao
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Liyao
Which magazine should I buy; Genii or Magic magazine?

Please post your thoughts and comment.

I'm really keen to get these magazine. If both are good, I will order both.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
They are both good, order both.
Click to visit:
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
If you can afford it, I would suggest subscribing to both. I find that I learn something each month from each.

My personal preference, though, is Genii. It is generally better written and has more of an "edge." I find its writers more thought-provoking, even--or especially-- when I disagree with them. The publisher, Richard Kaufman, is not afraid to be controversial and state his opinions strongly.

Good luck!

Bob
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I agree with Bob. Both are good, but if you can only afford one, I'd recommend Genii. Since Kaufman took it over it is always on time and the better magazine of the two--by quite a bit IMO.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Genii is the one to get. I limited myself this year to either it or Magic, and really didn't even hesitate to subscribe to Genii. IMO, the only thing I miss is Mike Close's reviews...
Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
Magic is good too, I love reading Mike's reviews.
I'm Your Daddy
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
They are both pretty good magazines. I remember hearing a term on this where someone wrote Genii is like Life magazine and Magic is like People Magzine. Genii has lots of history, and great things in it. Magic has a lot of up to date articles. Shoot Ogawa is supposed to be in the next issue of Magic I think.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I like them both. I think of Magic as Las Vegas, West Coast, and illusion focused while Genii is East Coast, Historical, Sleight of hand focused. Generalizations for sure, but that is the way I categorize them in my mind. One is glossy, one is edgy, both are good.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I love both of them.
But..
Genii if there was only ONE choice.
Liyao
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Liyao
Thanks a lot guys for the reviews. Since both are good I will order both.
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
I think there was the exact question last month, however Genii is probably a little more intensive as far as magic is concerned.

Magic is a very good magazine and a little more people intensive.

Dave
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
If you can afford both, by all means get both. Genii has really improved under Richard Kaufman and there seems to be a little more magic. Greg Webb's sleight of hand stuff is great. The Bill Goldman articles and Jamy Ian Swiss reviews are useless. I really can't understand why Richard Kaufman puts up with them. In Magic, good card stuff from Joshua Jay and good reviews from Mike Close.
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
If only one: Genii
Magic has gotten better in the last couple of years, so if you can, order both, but Genii is still much better.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
After reading both, I personally would go with Genii, but whichever you choose you would be happy with either.
Speedy
View Profile
New user
Singapore
45 Posts

Profile of Speedy
May I know how can I subscribe to the magazine as mentioned here?

Do they have any website? I live in Singapore and there are very limited resources here.

Any idea they ship outside to foreign countries?

Thanks for replying.

Jason
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Both magazines have a website. Plus Genii advertises a lot in Magic magazine. I guess I am a little different than everyone else since I like Magic better then Genii. I do get both magazines since it is the limited way I can stay in touch with the magic community since I am stationed overseas with the military.
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
Dear magic friends,

Sorry, but I don´t understand...
Genii still exists???
It sees below what Pete Biro, one of its collaborators, wrote in the Magic Café (in Dec 13, 2002):

-----------
Pete Biro
Posted: Dec 13, 2002 2:10am
-----------------------------------
When Richard Kaufmann decided (today) to shut down Genii, I asked a few friends
"where to go?"

They suggested here... so, let's see what happens.
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Kardini,

To clarify, Pete's reference was to the Genii online forum, rather than the magazine. Richard Kaufmann shut down the forum, but it has been re-opened under updated guidelines. The magazine is still going strong.
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
To subscribe to Genii:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/welcome.html

To subscribe to Magic:
http://www.magicmagazine.com/

To me they are different enough from each other that I would suggest starting out with both if cost is not an issue.

With Genii I find myself going first to Mr. Kaufmman's comments each month. He doesn't pull any punches and and his comments and insight add to the contents of his magazine each month. With Magic Magazine I go first to anything written by Jim Steinmeyer.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
*cough* Penumbra *cough* *cough*

Wow i got a bad cold.

Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which magazine is good? Genii or Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL