The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which magazine is good? Genii or Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1256 Posts

Profile of reese
I hear Channel One is good, but that's just a rumor. I subscribed 9 months ago and am still waiting to recieve my first issue. In the meantime... I love Genii and Antimony.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
Genii- I let my Magic subscription expire-Genii gives me enough each month to keep me busy
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Mystification
I prefer Magic. I like its layout better, and it seems easier to read to me.
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
I have subscribed to both for many years, and they are always neck in neck. One month Genii is better, the next month MAGIC. But they really are two different personalities all together. Like trying to compare People magazine with Atlantic Monthly or something. (Bad ****ogy on both counts, but maybe you get what I mean?)

The quality of the tricks in both has gone up considerably in the past few years, to the point where the term "magazine trick" is no longer pejorative. Really good material regularly appears in both magazines. Add to that really good articles about the craft and the people in it, reviewers that no longer pull punches (Henderson Lovick and Swiss all writing insightful, honest reviews), historical pieces about things obscure, and I look forward to each arriving in my mailbox.

I know this isn't an answer to the question posed, but my honest vote is to subscribe to both.

SWN
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
I like Genii much better. I think the tone of the magazine is a little less flashy and the Magicana selections are better than Magic's.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2006-12-01 20:21, reese wrote:
I hear Channel One is good, but that's just a rumor. I subscribed 9 months ago and am still waiting to recieve my first issue. In the meantime... I love Genii and Antimony.

Channel One is not good; It is TREMENDOUS!! Understand that the Millers do not produce greatness on a TIMETABLE, they simply prefer to produce GREATNESS in and of itself. This, of course, takes time. They wait for the right amount of quality material to unveil itself and then take the time to produce a publication worthy of the investment of their subscribers. Not only do they make this point on their website, they also make back issues an option for new subscribers who lack the necessary patience. Trust me... I get as antsy as you do waiting for the next issue to arrive, but as a proud subscriber, and one of only two or three people in the known world to have a complete collection of all issues, I am happy to know that my subscription dollars are well invested in a product that I do EAGERLY await. So... how many mags do you subscribe to, and how many of them can you make the same statement on behalf of?

Hmmm......

:)
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
Magic was definitely better before Richard Kaufman took over Genii. But now, if I only have the money to subscribe to one, I will pick Genii.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which magazine is good? Genii or Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL