The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm a beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
Hello,

I'm a beginner. I'm decent at handling cards comfortably. I haven't read a book on sleight yet, but I can do a few basics like moving cards from top to bottom, or vice versa. Well, I picked up a Svengali deck at a fair. I've developed a decent routine with the Svengali and I'm looking to expand (I also made a horrible tapered deck with an exacto). I really like how coin vanishes look, and I'd especially like to be able to do one impromptu. I ordered Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, so I suppose that is my next order of business. I have a heavy academic load on the plate (junior in the pure mathematics major at Berkeley), so reading a lot of books and spending a lot of time aren't easy for me to do. I'm not looking for a challenge-free hobby, but I will definitely want to take it more casually. What should I look into next? I was considering a thumb tip and some silks. The style I'd like to pursue is definitely impromptu, not carrying to many decks around, etc.

Also, can the revolution coin vanish be done in gymshorts + tshirt (no pockets). If not, is there a technique that works under those conditions (granted, it seems a tall order)?

Thanks,
Daniel
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
The TT is a great idea, but don't bother getting silks for it. Everyone seems to know that right now. But you can use it for many other things, and people wont make the association. I would reccomend a couple of card tricks that can be done with regualr decks. Your revolution question....no. You can do a palming vanish, as long as you immediately make it reappear, so that you finish clean. Good luck. Might I also reccomend a set of Supersoft Sponge Balls? Fairly easy, lots of fun, and always received well. Plus, they're easy to carry. Scotch and Soda is a great gaffed coin trick, very easy to do, and gets huge wows, but its not an easy re-set, so when they say, "do it again!" you cant. Let me be the first to tell you what you will hear many many times: Buy a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic. It will give you an overview of ALL types of magic: Card tricks, coin tricks, close-up, large scale illusion...you name it. No single investment will give you more. Have Fun!!!!
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 13:46, tnscot wrote:
The TT is a great idea, but don't bother getting silks for it. Everyone seems to know that right now. But you can use it for many other things, and people wont make the association. I would reccomend a couple of card tricks that can be done with regualr decks. Your revolution question....no. You can do a palming vanish, as long as you immediately make it reappear, so that you finish clean. Good luck. Might I also reccomend a set of Supersoft Sponge Balls? Fairly easy, lots of fun, and always received well. Plus, they're easy to carry. Scotch and Soda is a great gaffed coin trick, very easy to do, and gets huge wows, but its not an easy re-set, so when they say, "do it again!" you cant. Let me be the first to tell you what you will hear many many times: Buy a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic. It will give you an overview of ALL types of magic: Card tricks, coin tricks, close-up, large scale illusion...you name it. No single investment will give you more, and it's pretty cheap. You can get it on his website, autographed. Have Fun!!!!
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
MagicalAdam
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of MagicalAdam
Check out On the Spot with Gregory Wilson, it's exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=466
"Mommy, what's that man doing up there?"
"He's putting on a Blindfold, my dear."
"What's a Blindfold, Mommy?"
"Something you wear so that you cannot see."
"Why's he wearing one, Mommy?"
"So that he can tell us what he's looking at." -
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
So are you done with cards and you want to move on? If not, you might want to learn "self working card tricks" and buy Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi. This will save you time because you won't need to learn card sleights. I don't have this book, but I do have 2 of the other Card College books and I think they're great books.

Also, if you don't have much time then I don't know if coin work is the way to go. I have heard that coins take a really long time to learn. I'm not sure about a thumb tip, though. I have a few but I never seriously learned how to use one. By the way, do you want tricks to be impromptu so that when someone asks you to see magic, you will be able to show them some magic?

Hey dans595, I'm going to UC Berkeley too. I'm an incoming freshman.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a good start for someone wanting to do impromptu.
Coins are the most common thing that a majority of people.

I don't know what country you're from but when you get Bobo's you will see that most tricks are described using U.S. half dollars. Keep in mind that other coins can be used for many of the effects and by doing so will seem more impromptu.

A click on my IMP (Impromptu Magic Pages) link at the bottom of my signature may be of help to you.

Take care of your academics first and practice in those few spare moments you may be lucky enough to get.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You've already gotten some good advice here. Let me try and throw in a few more suggestions.

Pick up some tricks that require one or two moves to do them. It doesn't really matter what kind of tricks. The goal here is to learn moves one trick at a time. While you're are learning those tricks and performing them for friends you'll also be learning how to present them and that's more important then the actual methods. Think of it sort of like on the job training.

Let me think back to some of the things I learned on in this fashion. I remember I used to perform a packet card effect called "3 color Monte". This trick taught me the fundamentals of the "two cards displayed as one" (Double lift). IT also had a move called the Mexican Turn over. Learn this trick and perform it for people. They are basic moves but in magic the basics are the most useful. Especially if you want to perform impromptu type effects. Sleight of hand is what you'll mostly need for that.

Some basic coin type moves can be learned from sponge balls (Vanishing, Producing, loading, etc...). Even if you don't want to perform with sponge balls. you can use other object such as napkin balls or even coins in some cases.

You mentioned a t-tip. you'll get a lot of use out of them and they'll teach you some other fundamentals. For example it'll teach you that what is obvious to you might not be obvious to them. When you first start working with them you'll probably have this fear that people will see it. This will cause you to move your hands in unnatural fashion and that will actually tell people you're hiding something. A common mistake is they move their hand that contains the T-tip quickly. Learning to use a T -tip will help you understand how to hide object such as a palmed coin.

Learn card routines that require the basics. The list of what I consider basics is almost endless because I keep finding things that are useful. But if you want to do impromptu magic the basics are essential because they are the things that'll get you out of trouble. For example if you accidentally loose their card or find the wrong one. It'll be the basic sleights that'll give you options to work those things out. If you lost their card you could ask what it was. Show that you found the wrong card. Find the right one then go into an ambitious card routine which is a routine that for the most part only use basic sleight of hand moves such as Double lift, top change, tilt move and so forth.

So learn tricks and routines that contain basic sleight of hand. It'll make it easier and funner to learn because you'll be performing them.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
Small world, eh Matt? I'm an incoming junior (transfer). Are there any magic shops around here besides Houdini's in San Francisco?

I ordered the Wilson text, also, $6.50 is cheap enough for me. Any ideas on an affordable TT?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
>>>Are there any magic shops around here besides Houdini's in San Francisco?<<<

"Misdirections" magic shop is also in SF and from what I see in their catalog they are well stocked! Welcome to The Café and good luck in your studies of both math and magic! My youngest son is a math major/film minor and I can't even spell half the stuff he's studying much less assist him with homework!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Welcome to the perhaps most exiting activity in the world. Check the net for most affordable TTs.
Cards never lie
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
Another thing, how about the history of magic? Survey of the field type stuff. It'd be nice to know about a resource which would tell me who and what are out there, types of magic, big magicians, etc. I've found in the past that getting to know something's general properties early on can have a big advantage in the long run. Any ideas?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There is a book called the history of magic . . . google it.
Cards never lie
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Hey I'm not sure about where the magic stores are near here. I'm actually from a place near San Jose, I'm not from Berkeley. I usually buy my magic stuff online or I make some things myself.

By the way, you can get TTs online for about 2 to 4 dollars plus shipping.
DylanTolly
View Profile
New user
Australia
94 Posts

Profile of DylanTolly
I also recommend "On the spot" by Gregory Wilson, great DVD and it's all impromptu with everyday items Smile

-Dylan
MindMyst
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
32 Posts

Profile of MindMyst
The mathematical mind generally gravitates toward getting a grasp of the whole, before committing to the study of any specific subset of the whole. Just how large is the whole of the world of magic? It's much more substantial than one would ever think when still a beginner.

With that in mind, I have to back up the recommendation for getting and studying Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Also, I would recommend James Randi's "Conjuring" for a broad overview of the world of magic given in a chronological sequence.

Finally, join a magic group, or at least get a subscription to any of the fine, monthly magazines on the subject... I recommend "Magic" magazine.

Have fun,

Joe
The Truth Will Set Your Fee
http://mindmyst.blogspot.com/
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Gym shorts and T shirt with no pockets is quite difficult for a complete vanish (i.e. where the coin doesn't come back). I think all of Bobo's complete vanishes need more formal clothing, either for you or the spectator. Sankey's Messiah Vanish and Steve Draun's Perfect Coin Vanish both come close to being complete vanishes. Or you could use your TT and a folding coin!

If you want to reproduce it, then there are plenty of possibilities.
Jolyon Jenkins
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
As an update, I picked up a TT, Scotch and Soda (probably a waste of money), and Mark Wilsons. This should be plenty to keep me busy for a while! Thanks to all.
broken_arrow
View Profile
New user
Jakarta, Indonesia
10 Posts

Profile of broken_arrow
What about Loops? It's a killer effects. There is also Loops dvd from Nathan Kranzo & friend.
"Dominus illuminatio mea"
Mike_A
View Profile
New user
Bristol, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Mike_A
Dan - You can pick up books with extra ideas for Scotch and Soda. There's a manual called Scotch & Soda that explains many more tricks and a few basic coin sleights. Might help squeeze a little more use out of your investment.

Good luck, Mike
Mike_A
View Profile
New user
Bristol, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Mike_A
Just found my copy - its by Julie Detmer and is only 3 or 4 $s.
Google should find plenty of sources for you.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm a beginner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL