The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper/Silver, Wildcoin, Spellbound routines..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I love coin magic. It is different, fun, and for me I think it is a little more interesting then cards.

But if there is one thing I can't stand in coin magic it is the Copper/Silver, Wildcoin, Spellbound effects. They drive me nuts!!

Oh the coin changes..it changes back...watch, it's silver again, then..thats right silver.

Or silver dollar right here, give a lil squeeze, bam! Chinese coin!

whoopee.

These effects have so many variations but IMHO they are played out. How many of you agree with me or disagree? (I know there's a lot that wil disagree!)

Not trying to start an arguement here. I just want to know why everyoen thinks they are sooooo great. Until I see one that is mad super incredible I will take my stand agaisnt them! heeehee. (oh and please don't bring up New York Spellbound, I've seen it and I still don't like it.)

chris Smile Smile Smile Smile
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
They are great from the spectator's perspective. The sleight of hand part isn't all that sophisticated but the visual change is what makes it incredibly great.

Just like the argument with self working card tricks vs sleight of hand and a purist view.

It's the end result. Sometimes we, behind the magic, are clowded by what really gets the audience going. The end result is their pleasure.

Smile
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think that 2 things have to happen.

You have to enjoy performing the effect.
It has to be a strong effect for the audience to like it.

If either are missing, then it's probably not worth performing it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Seismic,

What do you think of THIS one.

All the coins can be seen at the beginning, during, and end of the routine. The coin is only held in one hand. The other hand covers the coin in the same way every time. Even without any apparent manipulation, the coin changes to all of the colors seen on the table.

Dan
Click to visit:
david walsh
View Profile
Regular user
Bonnie Scotland
183 Posts

Profile of david walsh
Do you like Presto Chango from Bobo's. On one of the Johnny Thompson Comercial Classic videos he follows spellbound with this. I don't do the same handling as him when joining the two effects but I find they play well together.
David.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I think Frank hit the nail here. You have to like it yourself.
Hey, nothing wrong with not liking something that's supposed to be good...
(I have that myself with a LOT of cardtricks).
Real world magic is IMHO in dire need for a little diversity. I want my magic to look as fresh and unique as possible to laymen and I hate it when they say "I've seen that one before". To me that feels like I'm "One of those...".
May I suggest you forget what you do not like and focus on what tickles you! Good for you and all of magic.

Oh btw, Dan W. your King Midas Spellbound looks gorgeous!
I was also very impressed by Paul Wilson's ungimmicked spellbound.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5184 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think spellbound routines look great - especially to spectators. To do coins without a spellbound routine would be like a card magician without a DL. Still great magic can be accomplished but something would just seem to be missing.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Kevin Bethea
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
36 Posts

Profile of Kevin Bethea
Seismic,

I agree that if you already do not like an effect, then you should not do it..But consider this.

I think it all depends on your presentation of the effect. Sure the coins are changing, but why are they changing, and does it make sense to your audience or is it just eye candy? How can you make them relate to the coins changing and make it entertaining. that's the key. It's all in your presentation versus showing someone that you are skilled at switching coins in and out.

Hope this was helpful.

Kevin Bethea
Kevin Bethea

"If they like you, they will LOVE your magic."
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Yeah...ya gotta like what you do. I like routines like that. I hate 4-ace routines, open travelers, oil and water, card assemblies, and all backs routines. So I don't do them. I'm sure spectators think they're cool but I think they blow. So I do other tricks.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Dan....WOW.

That was an answer to my prayers!

I'm in shock...seriously....1 from snowboading (I am in a little pain from that.) But that Spellboudn was incredible!

Thanks for the views and opinions everyone..and Dan thanks for sharing....wow!

Chris Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I follow suit.
If I don't like a routine, I just don't do it! There are many to pick from.

Personally, I do think that spellbound is very magical if done right. Big key is leave yourself clean at the end!

Smile
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper/Silver, Wildcoin, Spellbound routines..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL