The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading: Any good generic script? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi Everyone!

Maybe an unusual request, but I'll give it a try.
I am looking for an example of a typical cold-read person description. "Buy a book and do your own" you might say.. well, the reason why I don't want to buy a book is that I do not really want to get into learning how to do cold readings or anything like that. I'm really still a beginner at magic (mainly card stuff at the moment), and I prefer to learn one thing properly instead of starting 3 things together (allthough it's hard to stay away from mentalism.. love that stuff) Smile

A friend of mine is loosing loads of money because of a so called medium. Allthough I do respect other people believes, I just want to show her how even I could tell her "quite detailed things" about her life which I couldn't possibly know.
Basically I want to do the kind of Randi thing where everyone got the same "read".

Don't get me wrong, I won't force anything or try hard to get her away from her believes, but I hope she'll realise how the medium might work and maybe she'll become a bit more skeptical. Obviously I have no skills in cold reading at all, that's why I am looking for a "generic" script I could use. I am not sure if it would be "exposure" or even "unethical" if someone could let me have a one-pager, allthough I don't feel like it is the same as exposing a trick or method really.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, I'd be very interested to hear your opinion.

Many thanks
Carl
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Did you see the Criss Angel episode where he gave several people "readings" by tarot. He cut out several newspaper horoscopes and used those as his script. It was really effective. He asked them to shuffle the tarot cards and then close their eyes and concentrate their energy. When theor eyes were closed he put a small stack of prearranged cards on the shuffled cards. He had taped the horoscopes to these prearanged cards, then is was all the performance....
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi afillius

Thanks for your reply.
Nah, haven't seen this one, sounds interesting though Smile However, I prefer not to use horoscopes from newspaper or so, because I think they are not detailed enough, even if a couple are put together.

cheers
Carl
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Look up the forer effect, you might find some suggestions.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
OIf course, the question could be posed, why are your friends decisions your business?
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi JohnWells
Thanks, I might have a look at it!

Hi JohnWells That's none of your business ;O) Nah I'm kidding, I understand why you ask this. Well, let's put it this way: I do not want to see my friend wasting money for nothing, plus it just makes me angry to see people get rich without delivering anything.... you know, if it is a one off thing, and the medium says something which makes someone feel better, that's fine. You could say it was a lie, he spent money for a lie, but he feels better. but this is becoming more and more a "ok, we made progress but we should have another session.. and then again and again and again"-thing. And I don't want to see someone I care off getting ripped off, whok nows, maybe even ruined. This person does have some personal problems, and it is just not right to exploit the situation and mke money out of it.

I Hope that answers the question.

Cheers
Carl
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
In Derren Brown's book "Tricks of the Mind" you'll find a long coldreading script he even used on television.
Get the book, it's quite a nice read and you'll learn some mnemonic techniques as well.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi RickDangerous

Thanks.. actually, as stated in my original post.. I don't really want to buy a book if a generic cold reading script is available somewhere online. I don't feel like downloading and using such a script would be unethical, since I don't see this as a trick. I tryed to google it but couldn't find anything really. That's why I was wondering if anyone has a source or something. However, if none is available or a coldreading script is handled same as a trick in the magic world I will buy some book. I'm not sure honestly, as said, I'm quite new to the magic world and there surely are some rules I don't know.

Many thanks
Carl
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Full facts of Cold reading by Ian Rowland.
That is all you need.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Gentle Art of Cold Reading has the "Classic" 12 cold reading lines and some other ideas - a good beginning - Ian's book is excellent but it isn't a stock/generic thing... it is for learning to make your own... then there is Webster's material
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi Guys

Thanks a million for that! I think I found those classic lines in Wikipedia Smile But you know what.. I start getting interested now.. I might buy a book anyway. It's such a pain when you decide that to get the skills on one particular thing in magic (let's say cards) and then you see some killer mental effect and forget about the cards immediately since you feel "that's what you want to do now!"
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
By the way.. since Derren Brown was mentioned in this thread.. I've just watched the "messiah" episode during lunch. I was totally dazzled by the instant conversion thing.. I guess I understand part of what he does, but still.. this guy falling back.. that was creepy Smile
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I second the vote for "tricks of the mind". It gives a good introduction to "why people want to believe", to mnemonics, hypnosis, etc.
What's even more important : Derren shows a healthy dose of scepticism and uses enough humour to let "believers" see a glimpse behind the veil of his shows.
Loved the book.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you want to get truly good at cold reading then you have a lot of study in front of you.

One generic script isn't going to do it. Good readers are very well read.
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi Traveler.
yep, I'll probably get a copy of tricks of the mind. thanks!

Hi mindpunisher
Yep.. I feel that cold reading is probably one of the most difficult things to learn really.. Also, the question is: should anyone even start learning it just for "fun". Cold Reading always gave me the feeling of "study for years, and if you are lucky you'll be able to become a mediocre reader".. It seems to be sooo much more then just knowing techniques used. I do not have the intention to start working as a stage magician or even medium, so I don't think that mastering cold reading and become an expert would be of any use for me.

Am I totaly wrong? Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well see it as a study of people. I would only study anything if I had an interest in the subject.

If its something you enjoy studying and are interesteed in why not?

Human behaviour and psychology is a facinating subject and will stand you well in other areas of your life.

Only you know if its for you. I believe everything we study should be for fun. Or we will never be any good at it..
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi Mindpunisher

I agree on that. For me there are 2 ways to learn and master something: Either you love it, have a passion for it and therefor you do it "for fun" or your life depends on it Smile The only thing is.. well.. yes, you do learn a lot of interesting things about human psychology, you might even be able to apply some of it in your every day life.. but what bothers me is the fact that I would learn how to cold-read people, but would never do a seance or anything similiar even if I could Smile It's that kind of "If you only knew what I could do.."-thing. I guess I'm still fighting with myself and try to figure out what my style/persona and interest is. I hope I'll find the right direction. Hope this makes sense :O)

Thanks for your replies guys
Carl
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 05:42, psychicturtle wrote:
Full facts of Cold reading by Ian Rowland.
That is all you need.

He doesn't want a book.

J
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Thing is I don't think showing his friend a cold reading script will change anything. If she is a believer she will take no notice.

googled cold reading scams

http://www.google.com/search?q=cold+read......;oe=utf8

better showing her some of these links they look pretty good
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
Hi mindpunisher

I thought about what you posted above, and must admit you're probably right. I don't think I could just walk up, claim to be a medium all of a sudden and show her some piece of paper. a) she knows that I know her and b) if she is not sure what to think about it won't work anyway.. it will be the usual "yes this part is specific, but you knew that, maybe I told you" and the rest will be "well, that's very random, could apply to everyone". Anyway, I'll probably forget about it and leave the decision to her. I hope this guy doesn't ruin her. I'd love to talk about it with her, but who am I to tell anyone what to believe or not. What bothers me is that it is a fraud and her money is being stoled Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading: Any good generic script? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL