The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren on UK TV in a few minutes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Channel4, Richard & Judy, sometime within the next hour. Not sure if he is being interviewed, but he was in the promo for todays show a few seconds ago. Enjoy.
BH_Magic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of BH_Magic
He features in a clip with Richard Dawkins which is being shown right now.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I think it's trailing Dawkins' essay "The Enemies of Reason" on Channel 4 on Monday night. Dunno what time, though.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Monday Night at 8pm
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
What??? he has a new special?
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Richard Dawkins has a new series - sounds fantastic.

FACEBOOK
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Dawkins.... FOR!
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I believe it's only in 2 parts. Shame, Dawkins is truly awesome. Oh and yes...FOR!

FACEBOOK
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Derrens a guest on the show, I know he's a big fan of dawkins so will probably be discussing the methology behind the work of mediums... I believe that richard dawkins also gets a reading from a well known tv psychic who gives him a message from his father from the other side... trouble is he's still alive..
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
From the Radio Times web site:
    "Hello and welcome to Shooting Fish in a Barrel with your host, Professor Richard Dawkins. He's looking for trouble again, dead set on challenging the superstitious thinking that for him impoverishes our culture. His point is simple: when science has brought us so much, "from sewage systems to satnav", why embrace tosh like astrology? So he goes after the culprits and politely skewers them. The look on a dowser's face when she discovers in an experiment that she can't, in fact, find water with wavy sticks, is priceless. And the tarot reader flailing to "read" something, anything, relevant to Dawkins is almost sad. (Derren Brown explains how such "psychics" work.) Dawkins is like a knight on his charger of reason cantering through thickets of delusion and bogs of nonsense. But there's a nagging sense that, with the number of physics A-levels halved in the last 25 years, he may be a voice crying in the wilderness."

Nice to see they've put a bit of science into it. Without it, a lot of Dawkins work on telly just looks like ardent assertion.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I will probably watch it. But my gut feeling is this is an easy way to make some money and ridiculing a section of the public for having certain beliefs.

Already it is coming over smarmy and not very nice. And it will make not the slightest bit of difference to those that believe.

The real reason for the show is to make some easy cash not to change the world.

Science and progress isn't always so great for us too.

A nice wee sideline for Derren too. kaching!
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Can't fault him... personally. As for ridiculing the public for having certain beliefs, whos's really taking the P***? Him or the psychics?
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Easy show easy target been done to death over and over and over...

Enjoy..

I just don't find it entertaining and it will change nothing, that's my point its easy money the only reason for it existing..
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Yeah, I kind of agree with Mindpunisher. Isn't this topic something that Randi has covered? And Penn and Teller?

I do like Dawkins and the God Delusion was cool, but I wish he'd stick with the biology. He opened a can of worms there and seems to be walking away from it.

Although ... I think that this kind of programme will have a positive benefit on some people ... although not very many.

That said ... Can't wait till tonight! Go Ricky! Go Dezza!
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2007-08-13 07:51, mindpunisher wrote:
The real reason for the show is to make some easy cash not to change the world.

My psychic intuition says both gentlemen sincerely believe in what they're doing.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Most psychics ive met are a bit loopy but actually believe they are psychic. So from that point of view they aren't really conning. On the other hand mentalists that give readings and add to those readings using billets etc are much bigger con men.

It is easy to believe in what you are doing if it is furthering your own self interest...if it was something that affectetd their ratings or audience numbers...they would soon disown it.#

Its about money and fame as it was is with Randi
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
All three parties are at fault - the psychics who believe in their own powers, the psychics who don't believe in their own powers but exploit anyway, and the people who believe them!

I don't think Randi, Dawkins or Derren can be faulted. What they are doing is very noble. Yes, they benefit from it. But so does the wider public. Important work.
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It has been done to death. To me it is opportunist rather than noble. It will change nothing. The sceptics wil love it the believers will ignore it And Richard and Derren will make a few bob.

And some of you will believe they are doing this for mankind out of the goodness of their hearts..

Everyone will be happy....yawn.

What an incredibly cheap show to put together. The quality of TV programmes these days is getting worse. No one puts a decent budget into anything..
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Yeah, fair point. But ... I suspect that it will be difficult for many believers to ignore the likes of Dawkins and Brown. I think the programme will make a small but certain change in the right direction.

What's that saying ... all it takes is for good men to sit idly by and do nothing for evil to flourish.

I know it's been done to death. But given how things are, I think it could still be done a bit more.
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
Diehard denouncers(so called sceptics - sceptic, meaning to doubt and to suspend judgement) and truebelievers will unlikely change their stance from this kind of broadcast or any other, but I'm sure for a great many who watch it, it will be an eye opener and at least encourage some people to think a bit more about it (it seems a very fatalistic attitude there mindpunisher). Like the others, I'm confident it will be very well put together and extremely interesting and only a pity its limited to the two-part special.

Even a cursory glance at the lives of Brown, Randi, Dawkins, Sagan, Pen and Teller, etc. shows them to be completely and passionately driven in this area, that they have very personal reasons for doing what they do and its far too simplistic to dismiss them, their motives and their arguments by just saying they’re doing it all for a paycheck.

Looking forward to it.

Nick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren on UK TV in a few minutes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL