The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unexplainable Acts by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Canadian magician Gary Kurtz has created what I believe is destined to become a magic classic! His audience-tested routines including his famous "Flurious" coin routine can be found here. Each effect is explained VERY well, and all have very well illustrated images in the usual Kaufman publishing style. He includes some great variations on some fantastic effects as well as bringing some very cretive work into the mix. My review of each effect is below:

Hypothetical Possibilities: A great card routine utilizing the Balducci wallet! ****

Inside/Outside: A variation of Jay Sankey's effect uses two pieces of card, a stapler, and a stunning transposition! ****

Constant Return: I have never used this, but it is a Copper/Silver effect with a cute touch to it.

Attraction: A nice animated ring effect that can be done with simple props you probably already have. ****

Wishful Thinking: A selected card appears in the deck wherever the spectator wants it to. This routine utilzes some simple sleights to put together a cute bit. ***

Split Disclosure: I have never used this, but it appears to be a combination on Out To Lunch and Card To Wallet.

Body Heat: A nice coin routine that requires a simple gimmick. ****

Four Fisted: A Copper/Silver effect on steriods! You will love this! ****

Special Delivery: A nice Cards-To-Envelope effect. ***

Orange: A Lemon and apple morph into a single orange in this creative bit of business. ****

Name It: A spectator's name appears on a selected card! ****

The Anticipator: A nice synergy-invoking routine with a handful of change.****

The Empty Hand: A nice way to produce selected cards from the inner jacket pocket. ****

Interchange: A nice four-of-a-kinds transposition. ***

Coming Out Ahead: A gimmicked paper bag allows for an astounding coin bit. *****

Artistic License: A magical, colourful card moment that relies on an art storyline. ***

Trio: An extensive coin routine using a shell. ****

All Together: A version of Roy Walton's Collectors that I kind to be the cleanest. This is my favourite effect in the book. *****

Cigar: A nice bill routine innovating a sought-after principle. ****

Mirror Image: A great Out To Lunch style routine that is very magical. ****

Flurious: The effect that is worth the price of the whole book! Gary's famous coin routine put in print in a bestselling Kaufman classic! *****

Overall, I give this book a review of 8/10. There are some routines that require multiple gimmicks, but most work in the real world and play for close up, stage, or parlour. Not one of the effects is a flop and they all have promising potential for every performance venue. They range from classy to bizarre and there is definitely something for everyone in this book. Highly recommended!

That's my review. Hope you enjoyed it!

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1170 Posts

Profile of Salby
Is this version of TRIO the 3 FLY effect of his and then in video form in LET's GET FLURIOUS???
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

I believe it is... Any more thoughts on this from anyone? Questions? Comments?

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
Sounds great. Thanks for adding just one more book to my list of things to spend my money on!!!
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Gary Kurtz was one of the absolute best magicians I had ever seen. He was truly amazing and really understood how to present a magic effect. Couple this with his gift for sleight of hand and he stood head and shoulders above most people.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
Nice review. I'm gonna have to hunt this down now.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Attraction is an amazing trick to perform on a young couple!

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Where is this available? Thank you for your help!

Tom
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 16:20, zgecko wrote:
Where is this available? Thank you for your help!

Tom

It was published by richard Kaufman (editor of Genii magazine) and I believe it is still available through them or your favorite magic dealer.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Silly Walter,

Thank you for the lead. I found it!

Tom
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
What gimmicks are required for the following coin effects?
I already know what are needed for Trio and Flurious.
I already have a shell and a couple of jumbo coins. Just want to know what other gimmicks are needed for the rest of the coin effects so I could shop for it.

Quote:

Constant Return: I have never used this, but it is a Copper/Silver effect with a cute touch to it.

Body Heat: A nice coin routine that requires a "simple gimmick". ****

Four Fisted: A Copper/Silver effect on steriods! You will love this! ****

The Anticipator: A nice synergy-invoking routine with a handful of change.****

Coming Out Ahead: A gimmicked paper bag allows for an astounding coin bit. *****

Trio: An extensive coin routine using a shell. ****

Flurious: The effect that is worth the price of the whole book! Gary's famous coin routine put in print in a bestselling Kaufman classic! *****

"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

I think you're covered! Most of the coin stuff doesn't require gaffs or gimmicks.

Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Iv been really wanting to get this book. iv not heard a lot about it till recently when I started working with kainoa's material and kept seeing it pop up in reference all over
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for pointing this out.
Cards never lie
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I like his performance style. His thinking and body language is brilliant. His book and videos came out a while back and I bet that some magicians still can't do his stuff. Quite technical but they look beautiful in his hands.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2905 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I am a huge Gary Kurtz fan. I have known Gary for a long time and have been repeatedly blown away by his fantastic work.

He has gone into mentalism and really doesn't do the sleight of hand stuff very much any more. What a tragedy! At least we have the book and the videos...

Mike
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Me too Mike. Smile I'm a huge fan of his work. All of what he did was way ahead of his time when they first came out. I hope he'd take a trip back to sleight of hand magic. It was a loss in the magic community to see him shift to mentalism.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 00:13, Salby wrote:

Is this version of TRIO the 3 FLY effect of his and then in video form in LET's GET FLURIOUS???

No, Trio is not on the Let's Get Flurious video. His copper/silver/brass and Flurious routines are though and they are both outstanding.

His material is pretty brilliant and time tested; the book that is the subject of this thread came out around 1990 if I recall.

cb
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
Much of it is also very difficult, IMHO. However, some real great stuff to work on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unexplainable Acts by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL