The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unexplainable Acts by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I agree tedski. They are difficult but they are real reputation makers. To be able to perform his stuff, one must be familiar with how he thinks and how he applies body language and misdirection techniques.

After I read his "Leading With Your Head" and "Misdirection Notes" and applied the techniques, the reactions I've been getting are improving. I learned on how to direct attention more with control and to amplify even the simplest effects. Brilliant thinking that is a must if you are a serious magician.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 15:03, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Canadian magician Gary Kurtz has created what I believe is destined to become a magic classic! His audience-tested routines including his famous "Flurious" coin routine can be found here. Each effect is explained VERY well, and all have very well illustrated images in the usual Kaufman publishing style. He includes some great variations on some fantastic effects as well as bringing some very cretive work into the mix. My review of each effect is below:

Hypothetical Possibilities: A great card routine utilizing the Balducci wallet! ****

Inside/Outside: A variation of Jay Sankey's effect uses two pieces of card, a stapler, and a stunning transposition! ****

Constant Return: I have never used this, but it is a Copper/Silver effect with a cute touch to it.

Attraction: A nice animated ring effect that can be done with simple props you probably already have. ****

Wishful Thinking: A selected card appears in the deck wherever the spectator wants it to. This routine utilzes some simple sleights to put together a cute bit. ***

Split Disclosure: I have never used this, but it appears to be a combination on Out To Lunch and Card To Wallet.

Body Heat: A nice coin routine that requires a simple gimmick. ****

Four Fisted: A Copper/Silver effect on steriods! You will love this! ****

Special Delivery: A nice Cards-To-Envelope effect. ***

Orange: A Lemon and apple morph into a single orange in this creative bit of business. ****

Name It: A spectator's name appears on a selected card! ****

The Anticipator: A nice synergy-invoking routine with a handful of change.****

The Empty Hand: A nice way to produce selected cards from the inner jacket pocket. ****

Interchange: A nice four-of-a-kinds transposition. ***

Coming Out Ahead: A gimmicked paper bag allows for an astounding coin bit. *****

Artistic License: A magical, colourful card moment that relies on an art storyline. ***

Trio: An extensive coin routine using a shell. ****

All Together: A version of Roy Walton's Collectors that I kind to be the cleanest. This is my favourite effect in the book. *****

Cigar: A nice bill routine innovating a sought-after principle. ****

Mirror Image: A great Out To Lunch style routine that is very magical. ****

Flurious: The effect that is worth the price of the whole book! Gary's famous coin routine put in print in a bestselling Kaufman classic! *****

Overall, I give this book a review of 8/10. There are some routines that require multiple gimmicks, but most work in the real world and play for close up, stage, or parlour. Not one of the effects is a flop and they all have promising potential for every performance venue. They range from classy to bizarre and there is definitely something for everyone in this book. Highly recommended!

That's my review. Hope you enjoyed it!

Michael Kras

Destined to become a classic? In my opinion this 18 year old book is already a classic.
Magi51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magi51
His stuff is demanding and not for beginners. He might be the most skilled performer I've ever seen. He is just so talented. Some things like Attraction don't take much skill, but others like his coin and card work does. He is the real thing. I'm so amazed he doesn't use his sleight of hand much anymore.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1171 Posts

Profile of Salby
More thoughts on this book???

I'm still confused.... Is his Trio effect Gary's 3 FLY effect? Where is his famous 3 FLY routine in print and video??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Trio is a coin routine. It's a production,vanish, production, coins across, and vanish. Inside the write up for Trio you will find his handling of 3 fly. He actually used it in the course of a routine like Chris kenner suggests.
Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I like the cigar trick alot, seems to fly under the radar
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Gary's Trio routine is on video/dvd. It is on his "Creating Magic" video/dvd and the trick is titled, "Misty Like A Dream". Cheers,

Bill
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
I love his work, especially gary's trio. one of the best 3 coins routine around in my opinion.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I need to have a look at it . . .
Cards never lie
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
His trio in 3 routine is the best 2 copper/1 silver routine I have seen (not to be confused with trio), and his hypothetical possibilities of a non-linear flow of time is my favorite presentation for ambitious cards I have ever seen. The man is brilliant!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Gary Kurtz into mentalism now?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I believe he is.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hope he will come back soon again and perform his gracefull and artistic magic.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Is this a joke? unexplainable acts is 18 years old. It is a great book, yes, but it is certainly not new.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Unexplainable Acts by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL