The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping a Secret - The Importance of (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
When you divulge a secret to a layperson you barter the potential power of your hidden knowledge for the fleeting ego boost that comes with its revelation.

It's a natural urge to want to impress others by disclosing something thought to be of value, especially when self-esteem is weak or waning. The disclosure is made to one-up someone else.

Unfortunately, a guarded principle is often usable by persons of scant accomplishment, allowing any novice to duplicate that which was formerly limited to the "savant".

Instead of exposing secrets, keep in mind that awareness alone gives confidence and strength that will project to others, even if the "knowledgeable" does not employ the secret, its ready accessibility contributes to his/her security.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
For.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Guilty...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
There's a difference between having information and having knowledge.

- entity
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The answer to all the world's most important questions can be found here http://www.kraftfoods.com/PostCereals/AlphaBitsHome.html

Shhh, it's a secret. Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3449 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 12:43, entity wrote:

- entity

That is very true, but in the wrong hands, both are damaging.

On the flip side I like to give plausable pseudo explanations for some of my effects. Even the most die hard skeptics will be on your side if the explanation is acceptable to them.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:

- entity

Information is "Tomatoes are really a fruit"; knowledge is not putting them in a fruit salad.
[
mentalv
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of mentalv
People don't undertstand that magic is very powerful. you are literally doing a miracle. placing a coin in your hand then making it dissapear is very powerful stuff. you can really scare the **** out of someone by doing that even though to us it is so simple. Every time a secret is revealed it is taking away from the art. And magic is an art.

Think about it: you take someone's ring and make it dissapear. when you think about it. that's impossible! who in the world can do that! we can! lets keep the mystery alive my friends.

we are able to do the impossible. no matter how simple or complex it is. lets keep what we do an art and a secret, not just a trick. lets make it true magic
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Docsteve...brilliant quote! is that yours?

Alexandre, I would disagree with one of your points; there is rarely an "ego boost" associated with revealing the workings of a 'secret.' More often than not, those not in the know are disappointed when they find out how something actually 'works;' not impressed.

Let's face it, best ego boost in the world is when you impress someone with a performance. That blows an exposure out of the water in 'personal payoff,' every time!

It's invariably young 'outsiders' who are responsible for most exposures today (You tube, etc.), and here, I would agree, it's done for a sense of personal power.
chris_johnson_au
View Profile
Regular user
Queensland, Australia
113 Posts

Profile of chris_johnson_au
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 12:50, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The answer to all the world's most important questions can be found here http://www.kraftfoods.com/PostCereals/AlphaBitsHome.html

Shhh, it's a secret. Smile

I can't believe I actually clicked on that link!

Now I have this irresistable urge to have breakfast cereal... and it's only dinner time.
Chris Johnson
0433 181 675
www.thementalist.com.au
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
I believe the artful revelation of apparently "arcane" knowledge can be powerful and actually beneficial to the impact of a performance. Some partial "honesty" can greatly amplify the performance as a whole.

Ex:
I use the shapes forces (triangle and circle) and reveal the "physical suggestion" (read: drawing it in the air). This "truth", though it is only a part of the full method, implies that these techiniqes will be skillfully woven throughout the performance. This creates a nice "texture" when performing some surefire routines that do not truly use suggestion.

Although I am not suggesting exposure of standard techniques, sometimes a little light casts new shadows. Thereby creating psychological misdirection.

Many of the current performance iconoclasts are doing just that... being honest (but not exposing).

Just some thoughts.

Sean
rick727
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX, USA
188 Posts

Profile of rick727
I recently did Kurotsuke (find the person holding the black rock). Fortunately, or unfortunately, I am not sure which, the spec with the black rock could not hide her emotions at all. Later after the show another spectator said, "I know how you do it - you don't read minds, you read people." She was referring to the Kurotsuke effect and how it was obvious who was holding the black rock by the girl's expression. I couldn't have said it better myself Smile I let her think that she was accurate. It offered her a plausible explanation and something to ponder. The fact that she was thinking about the things that I did is exactly what I want my spectators to do after the show - keep them thinking about what I did.

-Rick
Practice what you present.

Present what you practice.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4474 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Sometimes after performing a book test, I'll get a spectator telling me that the way I accomplished it was that I have photographic memory and just memorized the entire contents of each book.

I do nothing to dissuade them of their belief.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Bushido
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Bushido
You bring up a good point. We all know that we should never tell them how it is done, But just as importantly we should never tell them how it is NOT done either. Sorry if that’s a bit hard to read.

As performers, we will always be confronted with “oh, I know how it was done… you did bla bla bla”

As soon as we get defensive, it will either turn into a guessing game or a “prove it” competition.

Let them think what they want (regardless of how off they are) and continue with the show.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Bushido,
When I hear that type of response from a spectator I like to respond with a smile and say, "Yes, I guess you COULD do it that way." I don't try to defend anything, that separates you from your spectator.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Nice approach, Doughlas, I like it!
Cognite tute
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
Something from The Prestige I like:
“Never show anyone. They’ll beg you and they’ll flatter you for the secret but as soon as you give it up, you’ll be nothing to ‘em, you understand? Nothing.

The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for… is everything.”

Nick.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If they keep asking you for the secret then youve done something wrong...90% of the time they should think its a talent or a skill not a trick.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 15:50, docsteve wrote:
Quote:

- entity

Information is "Tomatoes are really a fruit"; knowledge is not putting them in a fruit salad.

Information is 2+2=4.

Knowlege is "Don't put out a campfire with your face".

Now we run into a pretty sticky subject. When the first person buys their first magic trick, they are a lay person. So do you SELL THEM A SECRET? We sell secrets all the time. (by the way I only apply the term "secret" laughingly, once it is sold how "secret" is it?).

At some point everyone is not part of the initiated. So what do we do about people who don't actually make a living doing magic of any sort? Do THEY qualify for secrets? I think so but that is only me.

What about only collectors, who collect "secrets" and things magic related but never work? Do THEY get secrets? Sure why not?

It is easy to say the "laity" should not have secrets. It is easy to see why we should protect them. Doubtless it is a matter of respect for those who came before us. BUT when magic became a BIG BUSINESS and every 13 year old with a computer started making instant downloads, and you have the convention circuit and lecture tours, and ways guys can make pretty ok money by NEVER ONCE working for a lay audience, it changes the equasion. DRAMATICALLY.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BestPest
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of BestPest
Never tell anyone any secrets ever ever ever. If you tell a layperson anything they have no reason to keep it to themselves. I couldn't expect someone to keep a secret like that. Once it's out, you can't put it back. I know you feel like you want to show off a bit and flex your clever muscles, but unless someone has paid their dues, they are in no way obligated to keep it a secret.

I have friends who beg me to tell them simple "tricks" but as a lot of simple tricks are the basis for a more complicated effect, once you give them a clue, they know more than you want them to.

It's not being smug, or feeling like you have one over on them, it's a bit of a horrible feeling actually if you ask me. So I often just claim I don't know how it's done.. and I'm as surprised as them it worked out like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Keeping a Secret - The Importance of (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL