The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » New from L&L Publishing - Video On Demand! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Like I say, Louis is the smartest guy in magic!

No Shipping Fees!
No Waiting for Delivery!
Watch Online or Download!

We have chosen GrapeFlix.com to be our exclusive Video On Demand provider.
Currently 11 World's Greatest Magic titles are available and there are more on
the way! You can view the current titles here:

http://www.grapeflix.com/Category/frmThe......erID=311

There is more information and links to GrapeFlix.com on our home page -
http://www.llpub.com

Thank you,

The L&L Publishing Team.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He may qualify for a very smart man OUTSIDE of magic!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've never done this kind of thing before. So you can pick a title and it will be on your computer so if you are slow like me watch it over and over until you get it right?
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
This is the future right here!

For us in the uk it means we pay 50% of what we normally would. Dealers ain't going to be happy, customers will be delighted.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-08-12 04:12, MagicSanta wrote:
I've never done this kind of thing before. So you can pick a title and it will be on your computer so if you are slow like me watch it over and over until you get it right?

Interesting question, is it downloadable, do you have a code to watch it as often (on-line) as you wish, or is it pay-per-view?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
...and is it stored at their site so it doesn't take up disk space? Can it be copied to a DVD legally? If Tony and I met at the Black Rose would either of us be able to walk out?
ccccchunt
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ccccchunt
I notice from reading the website that all these files will have DRM encryption. I forsee many unsatisfied customers to follow. To answer some of the earlier questions: NO, you will not be able to burn the vids to DVD. They will only be playable on your computer (and only the one you downloaded them on). You cannot move them to another computer or onto an ipod for later viewing. If your specific DRM liscense for the purchased product gets messed up on your computer, you are out of luck and will likely have to re-purchase the video. Just my opinion on DRM liscensing. It was a good idea but was put into production WAY before all the bugs were worked out of it.

Expert magic used this DRM system unsuccessfully in the past. Hackers have ways of getting around it therefore the DRM system only makes it difficult for the registered user. Just Google "DRM problems" and you will see what I mean.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you sir
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Yes, DRM causes problems. Yes, there are ways to transfer the license. It's not easy though.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Louis reads the Café posts, so maybe he'll look in to it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4817 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I found the following which seems interesting:

---------------------------

Grapeflix allows you to protect your movies/videos for downloads on Creative Zen Vision M devices and other portable Mp3/video and media players. Once your movies/videos have been synched with a portable video player, your viewers can easily watch your movies/videos on TV. All they'll need is to connect their Creative Zen Vison M or other portable media players to their TV using a simple Camcorder A/V cable, as the picture below shows. There is no software to install or tuning required, and those cables can easily be found in electronic retail stores such as Radio Shack and can be purchased for less than $10!

*1 - Video In; 2/3 - Left-Right Audio; 4 - A/V Out in the Creative Zen Vision M or portable media player; 5 - Camcorder A/V cable; 6/7 - Right-Left Audio plugs; 8 - Video In plug.

**Acceptable players include, among others, devices that have the PlaysforSure logo. These devices include: : Archos AV 500 100GB, AV 700 40GB; AV700 100 GB, Archos AV420, Creative Zen Vision M, Creative Zen Vision 30GB, Creative Zen Portable Media Center; iriver PMC-120; Samsung Yep-YH 999 20GB Portable Media Center; Toshiba Gigabeat MES30, and the Gigabeat MES60. In general, to ensure that your movies/videos will play on portables, the suggested bitrate is 800Kpbs and the suggested screen size is 320x240 (4:3). For complete details on what type of video files can be transferred to (synched) and played on a PlaysforSure-compatible video/media player, please visit our PlaysforSure specifications page

---------------------------

So apparently the purchaser is not confined to just his/her PC. Sure, there are a few restrictions, but if that's a real problem then I would humbly suggest the purchase of the actual DVD. In the end I think it boils down to a matter of personal convenience, what works for you may not be right for me. However, I still find the whole concept interesting. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
ccccchunt
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ccccchunt
Steve,
Yes, it should work by transferring to the selected mobile media devices. The problem I ran into was when I tried to copy the movie file from my desktop to my laptop to bring with me on travel. It will not work because the DRM liscense for the file is installed on my desktop. I am in the Navy and left to go to sea. Of course I did not check the operability before I left and was stuck with some non-working files while I was out on the submarine. Since then, I have always purchased the full DVD's and waited a little extra for the mail.

Thanks,
Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26995 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DRM just provokes the clever into applying the cracks to open it up one way or another.

Let's stay out of that mess.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
Sounds like a fun idea but tricky to police I would of thought.

Dean
bouche
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of bouche
I just tried to download a video. The download was very slow and then stopped altogehter before it finished. I cancelled the download thinking I had the link so I could try again. Problem is : I can't find the link anywhere. Where is it?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I wonder what happens if you switch PCs or OSs . . .
Cards never lie
ccccchunt
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ccccchunt
If you switch PC's, your DRM liscense stored on the original machine does not transfer over. I do not think there would be a trouble if you updated you OS.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » New from L&L Publishing - Video On Demand! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL