We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Timing Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magician304
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of magician304
Hello!

I am currently working on a close up mental epic utilizing business cards to write my predictions. When writing the predictions, I am wondering how get around this problem: when your “prediction” takes longer (or shorter) to write and what the audience member is thinking of. For example: You ask your spectator to think of an object. They are thinking of a bat. However, for the previous question they answered “strawberry”. Now you are faced with trying to write “strawberry” when, in the audience’s mind, you should be writing “bat”. What are some ways to get around this for close up?

Thank you very much!
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2086 Posts

Profile of gabelson
One solution would be to draw a quick picture of a strawberry.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12355 Posts

Profile of John C
This is a proven routine. Just do it!

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If the situation were reversed, writing "bat" when you should be writing "strawberry", you would just write "bat" and keep on pretending to write the number of letters in "strawberry." That's not the problem.

When you are faced with having to write "strawberry" when, in the audience’s mind, you should be writing "bat", you can probably get away with writing half the word "straw", and then look up and say, "How many T's in bat? How many B's? There goes my dyslexia again. Let me start over." Pretend to erase what you have written and on the second try, you complete the word by writing "berry." As an additional bit of humor you can say, let me check my spelling. How do you spell "bat?" They say, "B-A-T," and you say "Darn!" and pretend to erase another letter. It gets a laugh but it solves the problem. On the other hand, you have to decide if it's worth calling attention to it and maybe, as John suggests, you should just brazen your way right through it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3097 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
All good suggestions.

The other approach is to develop a sort of 'nervous pen stroke,'which is to say that your pen is constantly moving...something that people do (kind of bounce it between fingers when thinking). If you look away while you are doing this, they really can't tell when you're actually writing and when you're not.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Banachek makes a similar suggestion for another routine on his DVD series.

Of course, the beauty of using a full Mental Epic (I absolutely love Supreme Slate Of Mind), is that it covers your writing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic Timing Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL