The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Terra Cotta warriors of China (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Has anyone seen or heard tell of a routine of effect that implements the terra cotta warriors (of Shaanxi) transforming into real people for a sword battle/ magic battle...

Had that thought watching Lance Burton in Las Vegas. He has a sword duel scene in his act-- derived from a French salon / Renaissance era style. I thought of the large flow of Asian visitors (so many that MGM repositioned its Lion in response to cultural needs) and how relevant such a piece could be...
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Ok, if you haven't heard of such a thing, what do you think of the idea?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The only terra cottawarrior trick I have run across was made by Amazing Factory, I believe.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There was an illusionist featured on YouTube in the not too distant past, who began as a statue and then came to life. I believe he was French, but his name escapes me (as do a lot of things these days).

I could envision a terra cotta statue made in three parts, feet, torso, head. You show the individual parts to be hollow, stack them up and when you unstack them, they contain a living person dressed in the manner of the statue. Wouldn't be too hard, and all you would need is a good base and a good potter.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

The image in my head is of a pagoda set, similar to the Beijing palace, with a row of about 6 terra cotta warriors like the ones in Shaanxi. I imagine them being carried into place, then coming to life (shards falling from them) as an Indiana Jones-like magician tries to enter the temple... this would culminate in the illusionist getting the sacred object and all of the warriors falling rigidly to the misty floor and shattering like pottery.
Either this or dancing girls.
Just kidding.
------

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The French illusionist was Marat. I saw him live in London in 2005. It was pure magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Terra Cotta warriors of China (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL