The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question about Mentalism & Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 21:30, kevin carmean wrote:
I use to think any kind of magic in a mentalism show was a big mistake. I have come to find out that the audience (for the most part) can be sold anything if presented correctly.

Kevin

is there a clear line between magic and mentalism?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It all depends on what the performer believes, and how he performs it.
KBLV
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
188 Posts

Profile of KBLV
Don't worry about whether it's magic, or mental magic, or mentalism. Ask, instead, "Is it Billy the Squid"?

If it is, great! Explore it until it either satisfies you, or doesn't.

If it isn't, ask yourself, "Can it be altered to be Billy The Squid"?
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 00:21, ico wrote:

is there a clear line between magic and mentalism?

You really don't need to worry about it. You just do it. If you want to throw a magic effect in the middle of your mentalism show and present it as a magic effect, do it. I've seen Kreskin do it and say "you know, I love a good card trick" and he does one that is not connected to mentalism, but just wanting to show off his sleight of hand ability.

I saw one mentalist start his presentation by playing the piano for a couple of minutes and then go into his show.

KBLV is correct when he say Don't worry about whether it's magic, or mental magic, or mentalism. Ask, instead, "Is it you"?

The great John Archer who does a mostly mentalism show calls himself a magician. It works for him.

Mentalists, especially new mentalists want to disassociate from magic because they view magic as tricks and trivial. But that's their problem and their opinion. It doesn't make it so. In just about all of the books that Richard Osterlind has published, he talks about making your magic more powerful - whether it's magic or mentalism and Richard explores both.

Just because something is "mentalism" doesn't automatically make it more powerful or believable than a magic trick. It's about the performer. The perfect example is Eugene Burger. Eugene's magic tricks are more powerful and believable than many mentalism shows I've seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question about Mentalism & Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL