The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
ETMMM is the way to go. You'll learn an awful lot of classic mentalism really quickly.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I forgot to say it, try out a lot of Richard Webster books on tarot, palmistry, pendulum work..all the books are very affordable...great and practical info in them...

and then perhaps, depending on your character and displayable skill-set as a mentalist, try John Riggs work, and Sleight of Mind...
I've asked to be banned
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Again thanks guys to all the great suggestions...keep them comming

Bill-I do understand shedding the "magic act" when moving into mentalism. I understand the difference the spectators react, and thing towards a magician verses a mentalist which is why I have started down the path of mentalism. That being said I still want to be able to "switch" b/w the two as I said before just for simple fact of more gig's. Thanks you again for you words of wisdom.
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
I dunno...I guess I will throw Bob Cassidy's "Fundamentals" into the pot.
tajkuri
View Profile
New user
Finland
41 Posts

Profile of tajkuri
Ypu said you have Banachek's dvd series.. I suggest his books also, Psychological Subtleties 1&2. Vol 1 is out of stock, but while waiting it to be reprinted, I suggest buying vol 2.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Magic_man_jim,

Bill is right. I think Bill is suggesting that, in mentalism "persona" is more important than ever. For the most part, I think an effective mental performer has an air about him that makes his performance persona and effects seemless (there are obvious exceptions). It can, but typically does not have the same impact preceding or following a standard magic act.

My personal "persona" could be desribed as a "a student of the mind and a somewhat reluctant, but friendly host", behind the curtain of the mind. I like to demonstrate amazing things and allow them to infer (with some encouragement from me) how these are happening.

These are almost plausible reasons that they can grasp, but ultimately those are just as amazing as if I were "psychic". However, since I have been truly interested in cognition, memory, emotion and behavior, these are all almost possible (as far as they know).

I recommend reading, "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber and Drew McAdam's, "Making Money with Magic" (not necessarily for the thoughts on making money, but for development of character and the responsibilities of a performer).

Welcome!

Those will help.

Regards,
Sean
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 12:58, phillsmiff wrote:

What I think you really need to look into is to immerse yourself in the world of mystery and paranormal weirdness. Get yourself a stack of books on the paranormal and the supernatural and, with your mentalists head on, stop caring whether anything you read about in them is really true or not. Assume it is, and think what that world would be like. Consider the feelings invoked by ghost stories, UFOs, psychics and the like, learn all you can about telepathy, psychokinesis, psychometry, automatic writing, metal bending... not our techniques, but the real stories and histories behind the impossible experiences normal people have. If you become interested and excited about all of this, then you can begin to infect your audiences with the same excitement.

That excitement, intrigue and fascination about the nearly possible, is, in my opinion, the core of mentalism.

Phill

This is the ABSOLUTE right stuff here! Follow this advice and you can't go wrong. Even before buying ANY "mentalism" tricks! Do this first. You'll do it later.

John
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
I suggest you try 'The 13th Steps of Mental' by Corinda. It's a great book, lots of practical advice and in many places its laugh-out-loud funny. That Corinda is one kooky guy.

Study this book daily for at least 3 years.

I'd also recommend that you spend at least one night in a haunted house.

You will then be ready to perform your first show and turn pro.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
If I may also suggest perusing this website starting with the first pages of topics and working your way back here, following links. Also there are ample videos all over the internet that will give you ideas on how mentalism is performed. I'd suggest joining other ' mentalism' related forums and going through them as well.
There are many writings by some of the greats of mentalism found at various locations on the internet, and be sure to check out the bizarre forums to find tips on performance and character, it is easier to develop routines and ideas and know what effects to look out for when you know who you are and where you want to lead the audience.
Also read up on the history and the branches of this art - there are many, my personal fave is the occult - it is good to have a strong background knowledge of what you are talking about, just incase someone else does... and this will also give you ideas on performance and character...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
..and also become as cynical, stern and as bitter as possible when your fellow mentalists do well...

only kidding..
I've asked to be banned
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Again thank you everyone for your advice, and John I agree with your statement phills advice was a "biggy" I think I am already on the right trake using his advice as I have in the past years already dove into the paranormal investigations.

Keep the good suggestions up...

Thanks
Jim
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"Sigma" is a great E-Book: http://www.paolocavalli-mindworld.com/pa......oks.html
A good store to shop when you are looking for props is: http://www.outlaw-effects.com/ I mostly prefer the "Outlaw Panther."
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
Check out the work of Docc Hillford and Kenton Knepper. You will not be sorry. For marketed effects, Lee Earle and Larry Becker put out some top quality stuff- check out postal.
Aarnoud Agricola
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Aarnoud Agricola
You can find good resources for mentalists at http://www.mentalism.bestelinks.nl
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I think you have more than enough to get seriously started.

if I might suggest a different tact... buy/watch Eugene Burger's Real Secrets of Close Up Magic.
On the DVD there's a great lecture, complete with blackboard, about "how to learn" magic.

Instead of "learning" how to do everything... why not try "performing" half a dozen things.

good thoughts.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Only one thing, don't do a mentalism effect after you sponge balls routine...Smile
he seems looking for dvd and not book.
According to me mentalism is better in book rather in dvd and classic magic in dvd(more visual)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL