The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Bubbles (Finger Grip) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I've been practicing a multiplying bubbles routine. I'm having problems keeping my grip on these smooth plastic balls. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to give it more grip? For instance something to put on my hands or to coat the balls with something?

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 14:40, Jaxon wrote:
I've been practicing a multiplying bubbles routine. I'm having probalms keeping my grip on these smooth plastic balls. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to give it more grip? For instance something to put on my hands or to coat the balls with something?

Ron Jaxon

Suck on a piece of hard candy, then lick your fingers. They will become super sticky.
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Gabriel Knight
Ron,

If you coat the balls, with anything, they won't be clear. Or collect dirt.

If you make just the edges a little rough, you can hold onto them better.

The old guys used Glycerin on their hands, This is also found in most clear soaps. So just washing your hands with a Glycerin soap can help your grip.

If you were to wash your hands. Then grab some wax and press your fingers into it, your grip will be a little tacky.

Just a few Ideas.

If you want to get crazy, 3m spray glue stays tacky!

Or use the Scotchs Removable glue stick stays tacky too.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try coating them with clear gloss acrylic water based paint. After coating they would be a bit sticky on the fingers and will still be clear and look like bubbles.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
When I was in the State last time 6 years ago I found Grip Cream "Non-Slip" by Progrip Columbia 3000. It is used in sport to have a firm grip. It will improve your grip on the balls but I never used it in my act since I can`t perform some card manipulations with cream on my fingers. It costs 1.95
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Go to a bowling alley.They have what you are looking for..Howard
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If you handle them like bubbles, instead of billiard balls, you won't drop them.
POOF!
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
If it can work in your routine, try latex gloves. They come in several different colors.
Aim To Amaze
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
In the UK there are several products manufactured for use by Bowls players (as in Crown Green Bowling) that should prove ideal. Grippo, Crackerjack and Bulldog are the names of 3 products that are either applied to the 'woods' (the name of the weighted and slightly flatterned balls used in the game) or your hands and should help you out. A google search will direct you to serveral suppliers.

Cheers, Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I find good old Corhhuskers lotion (largely glycerine) does a pretty good job when I need gripping power on my hands. Dries quickly too and leaves no residue. Not greasy or oily in any way. Also, there was a substance I used years ago, that worked pretty good, in fact excellent, but I haven't tried to buy any in years. It was called "Liquid Glove" it was a substance came in a squeeze bottle much like a restaurant mustard or ketchup bottle. It was used in place of wearing rubber gloves, it both gave you a great grip and if you got oil , grease or something else on you hands, when you were done, it just easily washed off with soap and water. Don't know if it is still made. Originator was a guy who used to live in Lubbock, TX but he sold rights for it to someone. That stuff was dynamite if you can find it, try a net search.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone. I'll try some of your suggestions. I know there's no substitue for good old practice but I was just looking for a little extra help.

Thanks again.

Ron

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2007-08-16 21:07, photius wrote:
I find good old Corhhuskers lotion (largely glycerine) does a pretty good job when I need gripping power on my hands. Dries quickly too and leaves no residue. Not greasy or oily in any way.

Also, there was a substance I used years ago, that worked pretty good, in fact excellent, but I haven't tried to buy any in years. It was called "Liquid Glove" it was a substance came in a squeeze bottle much like a restaurant mustard or ketchup bottle. It was used in place of wearing rubber gloves, it both gave you a great grip and if you got oil , grease or something else on you hands, when you were done, it just easily washed off with soap and water. Don't know if it is still made. Originator was a guy who used to live in Lubbock, TX but he sold rights for it to someone. That stuff was dynamite if you can find it, try a net search.

I too really liked Corn Huskers Lotion. I had read in a few old books that the authors used a drop of glycerine or a mixtire of water and glycerin 50/50. Quite awhile back I decided to try this and got a bottle of glycerin for 80 some cents and mixed it with an equal amount of water.Works great and is also very good for dry skin in general. It is now all I use.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Lots of good suggestions here... if you use them all you may never get the soap bubbles off of your hands!! hehe.
Gabriel Knight
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Gabriel Knight
Liquid gloves are sold in the auto store. It is for working on cars, I have a friend that just used it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Try Golfer Grip or the liquid shaving 'nick' solution for when you cut yourself shaving.
ajaxone
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of ajaxone
Mix moisturizer with honey. Makes good manipulation lotion.
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
Sort Quick is that pinkish substance you see at cashiers counters or banks. It helps dissipate moisture and give a slight grip. It shouldn't show on the bubbles...

its cheap and at Wal-Mart (approx: 1.50-2.00) I use it for multiple card productions when manipulating. Works wonders and last's a while. But isn't annoying.

Hope this helps you Jaxxon.

OH and Im a fellow MICHIGANDER. ;o)
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I assumed with some practice it's easier to hold them now. BUt I'm still going to try some of your suggestions out. I performed multiplying balls a lot in the past but after I sort of found my performing style they no longer fit me. But the bubbles might so I'm just experimenting with them. There's something magical about soap bubbles anyway.

I've observed a few things about them. For one thing I feel I could get away with flashing both sides of the gimmick because they are clear. In other words from the front it's hard to tell if the "bowl" is facing out or in. I'm talking about s flash here not a display.

Another thing that might be useful. Have you ever caught a bubble on your hand? It's possible if your hand is wet. The bubble will end up a half bubble resting your your hand (like a dome). The gimmick resting on the palm of your hand looks like this so I might be able to use that in the presentation.

I'm just sharing my findings and ideas here. Do any of you know of a magician or a source of information on thingw others have done with Multiplying bubbles?

Ron Jaxon

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I love the multiplying bubbles too. They really look magical when you are multiplying them and I also agree with you on the flashing part of it - no worries on the angles at all.

The only thing I don't like about this effect is that you cannot perform it on a big stage - especially if the hall packs a couple of thousands. From a distance I think the bubbles would not be visible at all.

Hope you find more ways to enhance your routine, Ron.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Fred Becker performs his bubble routine during his lecture. He has great tips on lighting and routining. I don't know if he has any written material though.
Lynn Fox
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Bubbles (Finger Grip) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL