The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Riser Deck by Alakazam Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I fooled a room full of Magicians with the Escalator when it first came out, it really is a great piece of Magic. However, it screams trick. If they see it visually rise, they know there is something funny going on. No card can do that, and if it could, why didn't we do it like that the whole trick? The ambitious card out of the box is done face down, unless a pass, raise rise, some sort of shift or something like that is used. But with the Riser deck, it is again, what is going in on the box...there is that Magic moment. They have SEEN it go in, they pushed it in themselves. It is in their sight the ENTIRE time, yet somehow it still comes up, it suits the rest of the routine. I realise what I say will probably put you off more than want one, but I don't mind, as though this is a cliche, I would be really glad if less performed this, as it is killer
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I agree with you Christopher, but I'm surprised that if you "fooled a roomful of magicians" with Escalator, that you don't still use it. It actually looks to me like a lovely comedy moment. By the point in your routine where you introduce the Escalator, your spectators should be delighted enough just to witness the effect, and I don't think it actually matters if they suspect it's obviously some gimmick. Magic is theatre, after all, and if the card APPEARS to move through the deck, that's good enough. A good way to give everyone a "gasp and giggle" moment. That said, I'm hesitant to invest another $100 just yet.....
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

I would still use it, but mine broke, and I could never be bothered to fix it, without exposing anything, it was basically irrepairable
www.magicman13.co.uk

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
That's the pity with so many props - they're easily breakable! I spend more time and money repairing props and sending them back to manufacturers....Riser Deck could easily be squished if not looked after properly too.....
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Back to the subject...

I like the Riser Deck. Once you watch the DVD, it's easy to understand how good this is. It's Daryl's Ultimate Ambition in a card box. Extremely well-made by Rob Bromley.

Why use a rope when you can do this? I'm a huge Daryl fan, but this suits me much better than UA.

This may not be the "ultimate" ending to an ACR, but I think it's the best thing yet.

Robert
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Why use a rope when you can do this?

For me the reason is because the deck is not visible when it is in the box. This leads participants to wanting to know what happened inside the box.

Which they can not investigate. Second the rope is used as motivation for an action, the box is Riser Deck is not used for motivating that action. Third, it doesn't have to be rope.

I do acknowledge, however, that Riser Deck makes things "easier", but for me that comes at a cost.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 11:54, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
Why use a rope when you can do this?

For me the reason is because the deck is not visible when it is in the box. This leads participants to wanting to know what happened inside the box.

Which they can not investigate. Second the rope is used as motivation for an action, the box is Riser Deck is not used for motivating that action. Third, it doesn't have to be rope.

I do acknowledge, however, that Riser Deck makes things "easier", but for me that comes at a cost.

If I'm understanding you... I think the motivation for using a card box is similar to using a rope. You're confining the deck so the selected / signed card can't be manipulated.

Just wondering... if it doesn't have to be rope, then what would it be? Rubber bands?

Personally, I don't see a big trade-off here. The spectator even gets to insert the card anywhere in the deck.

I'm not putting down Daryl's wonderful trick. This IS Daryl's wondeful trick - in a card box. I just never felt comfortable pulling out a length of rope at the end of my ACR. Smile

Robert
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I've always used a bill wrapped around the deck and an elastic band "to prevent sleight of hand". Simple and always available. No need to get hung-up on the rope.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Please bare in mind, that when Robert M says it is Daryls UA in a card box, they are NOTHING like each other in construction. If you looked at the two side by side, they look nothing like each other. I think it is obvious by the fact the card can go anywhere that the construction is different for Riser Deck. I just think a card box is motivated...its the end of the routine, cards have gone away
www.magicman13.co.uk

gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
On 2007-09-30 05:40, Christopher Williams wrote:
Please bare in mind, that when Robert M says it is Daryls UA in a card box, they are NOTHING like each other in construction. If you looked at the two side by side, they look nothing like each other

Thank you for that.
Being familiar with Daryl's work, I myself easily assumed they were the same, or pretty much the same.

Quick Question:
Can you buy replacement card boxes? If so, how much?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

I don't know about the card boxes, I hope you can, as like any card case, they will wear out over time, and I use mine all the time. Mine still looks great after all this time I have had it. I have it in red and blue, and both are fine. The fact is, they are in use of a routine for...about 30 seconds. However, mine have already paid for themselves, so I can't complain. I guess if you are going to use them, then the money is well worth it. I will speak to the guys at Alakazam about the card boxes
www.magicman13.co.uk

gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I'm thinking a cool routine you can "possibly" do is have the spectator place the card anywhere they like, close the box...Then, toss the whole thing up in the air, let it flip over and over a few times...catch it...and..

Open it up, Bam!...Their card magically and ambitiously, worked its way to the top.

I don't have this...(yet)
Just a thought on observation with how I "think" it works.

If anyone complains about the flip move and asks you if you flipped it..you answer "YES..didn"t you just see me flip it...LOL!"

The magic is still how it gets to the top.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
If I'm understanding you... I think the motivation for using a card box is similar to using a rope. You're confining the deck so the selected / signed card can't be manipulated.

That is not the motivation I'm talking about for the rope. If you study Ultimate Ambition you will discover the purpose the rope serves during its introduction.

Christopher,
The trick is over, the cards go in the box. The trick starts up again but the cards can't come out of the box. There is an incongruence. If you want to use this as a "blow off" climax and have the spectator return their card to the rest in the box because you are going to keep it... and then you think, "Gee, I wonder if it happened again?" and have them remove their card from the top, that is a step in the right direction.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

I really understand your point of view Tom, mine is just an opinion due to the fact I use it every week, and people love it, and I have not once been asked to look at the deck
www.magicman13.co.uk

danielellis
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of danielellis
I met mark before the riser deck was relased and he had a couple on him and sold me one and it was a great purchase.The gimmick is a work of art and the reactions I get are 100 times better than the one on the demo.When I perform I have never had a spectator ask to see the box or the cards because as far as there concerned its the deck you just used to do the rest of the routine.Personally I think its a great effect.If its not your cup of tea then don't buy it but if you do an ACr and want something to end it with this is for you.

Dan
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
[/quote]
That is not the motivation I'm talking about for the rope. If you study Ultimate Ambition you will discover the purpose the rope serves during its introduction.

[/quote]

I just watched Daryl's ACR performance again, and he says that the purpose of the rope is to "sleight-proof" the deck. What other motivation are you referring to, Tom? Am I missing something?

Christopher: When I said that this is Daryl's UA in a card box, I did not mean that literally.

Robert
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, you are, Robert. PMed you.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Christopher,

They'd do well to do as I suggested long ago and reshoot the demo, perhaps using you.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-09-30 13:38, Tom Cutts wrote:
Christopher,

They'd do well to do as I suggested long ago and reshoot the demo, perhaps using you.

Haha, if they asked me to I woulnd't say no
www.magicman13.co.uk

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Maybe don't wait for them to ask. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Riser Deck by Alakazam Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL