The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What To Write Or Say? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Hello All,

I have a pretty solid performing schedule but would like to add more shows. I know many restaurants will hire magicians during weekdays. I'm looking to break into this field so I can maximize my income potential.

There are a few restaurants which allow clowns during the week to entertain the kids, etc.

I'm looking for some advice on "What To Say." Is it best to go to the restaurants myself and introduce myself the managers? Or maybe do a mass mailing to all the restaurants? I'm not really sure where to begin.

I already have the act down pat, etc. I have stuff for kids as well. I do mostly adult magic (cards, coins, etc)- but can do a quick kid trick if they happen to be there. I'm thinking more along the lines of bars, etc.

Just looking for some good solid advice onhat to say in a letter or what not. I know the main reason an establishment will hire you is to increase business. How can I, as a magician increase their business?

Anyone?

Robert Haas
http://www.MagicEnhancer.com
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Robert,
Unless you can guarantee that droves of people will come in to see you week after week, you can't make that statement. What you can say is that you can add to the ambiance of the place. You can make the guests have more fun and that should lead to them returning and bringing others with them. Just as the fancy place settings and nicer furniture won't insure a better bottom line. It does make the guests feel better about dining/drinking at a place that gives the impression that ownership is concerned about the their happiness.
Patrick
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Hello, this is a approach I use often that has worked with a lot of success. Instead of mailing, or going straight to a manager and telling him how you will better his buisness I go to the restaurant or bar and eat or have a drink.
Basiclly I bring along some of my friends for a good night out...then (after eating/drinking) I stand up and start doing some of my routines to my friends, when I notice other tables/people are looking I expand on showing them something.
I keep watch for a server/waitress to walk buy, when they do I make it a point to have them in my next effect. after the effect I give them my buisness card. (sometimes I even whisper in there ear to get some of his/her friends to come see my next trick) Now it is us to word of mouth. At my last restaurant I didn't even get out of the door and I was approached by the same waitress to come show her manager what I did. (I was in the Door) I showed him a trick or two and then pitche my nice 30 second commercial about myself. Try it a few times you will see what I mean..hope this helps.
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the insight. Some good points there. There's over 100 restaurants here in NYC. Lol. I'm going to be afat magician.. Smile

I understand what you mean though. Any other tips / ideas?

Robert Haas
http://www.MagicEnhancer.com
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Both Dan Fleshman, & Bill Malone offer exellent advice on Approaches etc. In their respective DVD series'
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-08-16 20:28, magic_man_jim wrote:
Hello, this is a approach I use often that has worked with a lot of success. Instead of mailing, or going straight to a manager and telling him how you will better his buisness I go to the restaurant or bar and eat or have a drink.
Basiclly I bring along some of my friends for a good night out...then (after eating/drinking) I stand up and start doing some of my routines to my friends, when I notice other tables/people are looking I expand on showing them something.
I keep watch for a server/waitress to walk buy, when they do I make it a point to have them in my next effect. after the effect I give them my buisness card. (sometimes I even whisper in there ear to get some of his/her friends to come see my next trick) Now it is us to word of mouth. At my last restaurant I didn't even get out of the door and I was approached by the same waitress to come show her manager what I did. (I was in the Door) I showed him a trick or two and then pitche my nice 30 second commercial about myself. Try it a few times you will see what I mean..hope this helps.

Yep, nothing an owner or manager likes better than having the staff involved in tricks while they have other things to do.

I think if you want to be treated as if you are a professional, then you need to act like one. If you know restaurants, you know how busy staff are and do not want to bother them. Most owners are not happy with this turn of events.

Professionals make appointments. If you want 14 year relationships, my recomendation is to make an appointment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Everybody knows there is only one way to do anything.
In addition, that one way works exactly the same every
time for everyone, no exceptions. So do what everybody
recommends one at a time and when you find what works
then post which guy it was that knew the one way so
everyone will know the only way to do it and no one will
ever have to ask again because we will all know. Yep,
that sounds good.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 02:34, Jerrine wrote:
Everybody knows there is only one way to do anything.
In addition, that one way works exactly the same every
time for everyone, no exceptions. So do what everybody
recommends one at a time and when you find what works
then post which guy it was that knew the one way so
everyone will know the only way to do it and no one will
ever have to ask again because we will all know. Yep,
that sounds good.

Interestingly put.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Yes making appointments is another approach to get to the same place I get by performing. Some people that practice magic for years are better performing than presenting themslef in a interview for this reason I posted one of the approaches I use to get a gig. I am still treated with the same proffessionalism when I do it this way as when I set up a appointment. and I don't go get a staff member while they are running to serve the next guest, I find one that is already watching. There are a lot of different approaches to get the gig..i just thought I would share one way that has worked for me.

Thanks
Jim

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are HUGE pitfalls to the manner in which I propose to have it done.

HUGE pitfalls.

I believe when an owner hears this idea he has often heard it many times by many hacks, and it makes it tough to get the appointment. I believe many can't see the forest for the trees. I KNOW many feel it won't help at all and are already in posession of a preconcieved notion of what it is you are proposing.

These are just a FEW of the pitfalls with what it is I propose. BUT I think educating yourself and not having half an idea, and not understanding these things as proposed, is not good. I am simply pointing out problems with things said. Now I have pointed out problems with what I said, so nobody can accuse me of being mean.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I wasnt accusing of you being mean..i injoy criticism I was just pointing out something that has worked for me, and that it was worth posting about.. that's all

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Grahamprigg
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Grahamprigg
I agree with magic man jim, all the gigs ive got have been basicly by showing people in bars and restraunts what I can do, it doesn't mean that you aren't professional just because you want to show your skill in magic to people who may just be looking your way, just remember that magic is ment to be fun as well as a serious profession.
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
106 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
I'm with Magic Man Jim all the way. When I was a full time magician, I never looked for work. If you practice, are entertaining, and have a unique style, work will find you. Many times I enjoy performing in public when not "working". This inevitably leads to work. The only advertising I've ever done is Biz Cards.

I like to imagine myself a magician, even in the course of work finding me. Would a real magi send out resumes. I think not. Will yourself up a restaurant gig.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I stand outside the restaurant and do a street show. Once I have a huge crowd I point out to the manager that they could all be inside (the manager is outside 'cause he is trying to get the crowd the heck away from his front door).

Works like a charm Smile

Actually, it is like any sales. No one method is better than the other. Just have to try and see what works for you and that particular establishment.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Book - Secrets of Restaurant Magic

Audio Tape - Restaurant Magic by Charles Greene

DVD - Live At The Jailhouse - A Guide To Restaurant Magic DVD with Dan Fleshmann, Garrett Thomas, Dan Tong, Kirk Charles, Paul Green, & Justin Miller

You can find all the above at: http://www.misdirections.com/show.html
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Robert,

Currently, I'm working 5 nights a week between two different restaurants. In about a month, that will grow to 6 nights a week. I'm not saying this to "BRAG" but to show that my formula works very well (for me at least). I can honestly say that I can walk into just about any restaurant in Dallas/Ft. Worth and secure at least a 1 month contract by the instructions below:

1. Go the restaurant you have your eye on and have dinner (or the time of day that you wish to perform). Study the flow of the restaurant and ask yourself if you could see a Magician performing in this venue. If the answer is YES...then follow the following directions.

2. When the bill comes, it is usually brought over in a wallet style holder...right? Pay the bill and leave a few of your business cards in the wallet. Leave...say nothing.

3. Wait a few days. If you don't hear anything, then send them a PR Packet. My packet includes a letter to the GM or OWNER, an 8 x 10 Glossy, my postcard describing my act and abilities, a long list of references, a few business cards, and my 8 Minute Demo DVD. One packet runs me about $5 (if that) to mail out (including the contents inside and postage).

4. I then call the restaurant and ask for the name of the GM or Owner and when they are usually at the restaurant.

5. I wait about 2 weeks for a response. If I hear nothing, then I go to the restaurant when I know the head hancho is there and speak to them directly. I do NOT offer to play a night for free as a "trial" to see how they liked my act. I will offer a demonstration for them onsite so they can get a feel for what I can offer them.

9 out of 10 times, I get the contract. It's that formula that works best for me and has allowed me to never have a "real job" for the last 10 years. I'm always working "somewhere."

Another tip that helps is to try an "avoid" the bigger chain restaurants as EVERYONE has a boss to ask and you get the Corporate Runaround.

Hope that helps...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That last sentence is absolute gold.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good lookin' Christopher.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What To Write Or Say? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL