The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Messing with the Pulse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
I know that there are various different techniques to do a pulse stop, but I witnessed something quite the opposite. He hasn't posted here in a while, but I met with Vince Mendoza late last night and we had a little talk. We we're out at a hotel bar and I brought up the subject of stopping pulses. He asked me if I knew off-hand what the average pulse rate of an adult at rest was. I told him between 60-90 beats/min. Then he asked me to take his pulse and it was at around 70. He asked me to keep counting when all of a sudden, his pulse started to race up to 90 beats, then 100 and he brought it up to 130+ beats/min. I mean in like a span of 30 seconds his pulse whent from 70 to 130, that's almost double. Puppies and babies have a heart rate of around 120, his was going faster. The hostess who knew him asked what was going on and he had her take is pulse and then tap the beat out, she started off tapping a constant beat, then began to speed up, then faster, then skipped a few beats and then looked up and said the pulse was gone.

Like I said, I can understand stopping a pulse, what do you guys know about speeding it up like that.
thebluthco
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of thebluthco
Could be a variety of things. I don't really want to expose it if it is what I say. Pills...thinking of something very very scary lol.
The Doctor
View Profile
Loyal user
Gallifrey
265 Posts

Profile of The Doctor
One word:

Biofeedback
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18808 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Was the barmaid especially attractive and wearing a low-cut top?

I'll just stick to the neck pulse stop thanks....
I've asked to be banned
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 16:38, eztravlr wrote:
I know that there are various different techniques to do a pulse stop, but I witnessed something quite the opposite. He hasn't posted here in a while, but I met with Vince Mendoza late last night and we had a little talk. We we're out at a hotel bar and I brought up the subject of stopping pulses. He asked me if I knew off-hand what the average pulse rate of an adult at rest was. I told him between 60-90 beats/min. Then he asked me to take his pulse and it was at around 70. He asked me to keep counting when all of a sudden, his pulse started to race up to 90 beats, then 100 and he brought it up to 130+ beats/min. I mean in like a span of 30 seconds his pulse whent from 70 to 130, that's almost double. Puppies and babies have a heart rate of around 120, his was going faster. The hostess who knew him asked what was going on and he had her take is pulse and then tap the beat out, she started off tapping a constant beat, then began to speed up, then faster, then skipped a few beats and then looked up and said the pulse was gone.

Like I said, I can understand stopping a pulse, what do you guys know about speeding it up like that.

Wow! That sounds awesome!

Question: was the gentleman sniffing a lot?

D.
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Ha-ha...

I don't know about biofeedback, but sitting in a chair at rest, his pulse went from a rate of 70 all the way up to 130 inside of 30 seconds. And he didn't start doing any rapid breathing, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, it looked like he was relaxing and getting ready to stop his pulse, instead it began to speed up. And after he was done, it was back to normal. Plus, if you had any idea who Vince was - drugs would be totally out of the question.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4502 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
He could've been sniffing rapidly without you knowing. It is VERY silent when rapid.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I used to be able to do that when I was younger. I worked at a hospital and freaked out my boss in the Bio-Medical department. We were testing out a wireless heart monitor and I was walking the halls checking the range. When I got back he could have sworn I had been jogging around the hospital. I brought it up to about 120 or so, then back down again.

Or, it could have just been that hot young nurse at the first floor nurses station.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 17:43, Blindside785 wrote:
He could've been sniffing rapidly without you knowing. It is VERY silent when rapid.

He could've been, but he wasn't. I've had training in Pranic Breathing and Heng-Ha techinque. He wasn't doing that. And guys, if a pretty girl walking by makes your heart rate double, you're not getting out much.

Dave - if you could do this was it a concious thing on your part? Also, you were moving around, he was sitting in a chair.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4502 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Suggestion? I'm playing with ideas here Smile
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-08-17 18:31, eztravlr wrote:
And guys, if a pretty girl walking by makes your heart rate double, you're not getting out much.

You are both completely wrong and completely right about the above.

A girl walking by MAY increase your heart rate a little but that isn't the situation. The situation is him, sitting there, "concentrating". Honestly, if you can't get your HR up THINKING certain exciting things, then there is actually a physiological problem.

As long as we are on this, here's something you can do to mess with people who know how to take blood pressure. Do the same thing, but don't "think" as much. Your HR should top out at like 90-100 but your blood pressure will drop SIGNIFICANTLY, even prior to any... uh... um... visible physiological response.

In conclusion, it is actually quite easy to pop your HR over 100, 130 would be topping out and I don't think I could get that high.

-C
Cognite tute
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
If he's really truely increasing his heartbeat naturally, it's not a very comfortable feeling and I'll rather that you don't try it.

I've got a bit of a medical condition whereby my heart can be triggered off into a rapid heartbeat suddenly without warning. It's due to an extra nerve somewhere on my heart that acts abnormally. Not life threatening but it is very very uncomfortable when it occurs.

My condition can trigger when I'm under stress or when I move my body in a certain way. I could technically practise triggering it off but I don't think I wanna do that.
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
Eztravir,
I can do the same thing. He may do it a different way, but this is how I do it. It's sort of hard to explain. It's something most people cannot do and never will be able to. I know this sounds really weird but, it feels like I am flexing my heart. When I do this "flexing" I get this rush that sort of feels like the old game kids do by cutting off the blood to the brain and getting "high" till you pass out. One way was using your hands to squeeze around the neck and cutting off the blood flow till you almost pass out. This is very dangerous and very stupid. I know there will be jokes about what I've written but this is not a joke. I've never been to a cardiologist before and I've asked a few doctors if they know anything about this. They all told me not to do it anymore. I have not done it in a long time. Maybe there is a cardiologist in the Magiccafe who may know something about this.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There is a method for lying to a lie detector....It could be the same Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-08-18 00:24, Slim King wrote:
There is a method for lying to a lie detector....It could be the same Smile

Slim of course is on the right track here. Research Ted Bundy and how he beat the lie detector. That is how I would do the effect you are talking about.
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
Hey guys, I told Vince about this thread and he was laughing, he's actually been sitting with a friend who just had heart surgery this past week. Anyways, he tipped it to me. He's got a condition called tackycardia and he actually has to really concentrate to bring his heart rate to normal range. When he stops thinking about it, it races back up.

It's part of what he calls "Individualized Magic" He says that each of us as certain characteristics that are unique to each self, and if you can figure out how to capitalize on these conditions, you can come up with an effect that is truly your own.

It's like his stigmata story. It'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, but there's no blood involved. He tells you a childhood story, ties it into the crucifixion and then shows you the vestige of it's effect on him. He told me that Luke Jermay stood up right out of his seat and repeated, "Did you all just see that?!?" two or three times when he showed him.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Ok, sensible cardiologist head on here:
Actually, I'm not just a cardiologist, but an arrhythmologist (disorders of heart rhythm); now I've not examined or studied any of you chaps, but here's my take on all of this:
- firstly it's impossible to stop and start a re-entrant tachycardia at will; you may trigger ectopics which can subsequently set it off - most often by just bending over and then straightening out, but you just can't do it at will. In the OR I use a computer to put in extra beats down to a hundreth of second, such is the critical timing involved.

- Vince may well have a high resting HR, and "concentrate to bring it down", but if that's the case he's unwell and should see a cardiologist; I suspect a 'false method'

- Jlowhy - you have a re-entrant tachycardia, due to an extra piece of electrical tissue; if this is manifest on you resting ECG (so called Wolff-Parkinson White syndrome) it should be evaluated with an EP study before it is declared "harmless". Young males with WPW and tachycardia have an annual death rate of 0.3% - not high, but entirely preventable.

Finally, most of the other posters have hit upon the method I think is used; but instead of sexy thoughts (you dirty, dirty boys) why not think of your phobia? (Unless you are so well psychologically adjusted that you don't have one!)

Anyone making their pulse stop may be ammused by this - it's a way of visually showing it's gone, AND when it's come back:

http://www.online-visions.com/effects/0611pulse.html

Enjoy & good wishes all
Steve
[
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
The pulse stopping method is old, but is anyone familiar with the new performances where they are hooked up to the chest. If this is marketed I would appreciate any links pm'ed to me.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Hi guys as some of you may know I am putting out my Pulse effect on the market before the first of the year.In Bill Montana's Pulse the heartbeats do not stop but your heart beats the same as your spectators. There are no gimmicks used.
Just letting you know of another option for the pulse stuff.
Bill Montana
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12060 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Guy Bavli may eventually release his effect if not already.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Messing with the Pulse (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL