The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Child Does The Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I've been planning/researching/working on new routines for my birthday party shows. One thing I'd like to add are routines where the birthday child "does" the magic.

What I'm not looking for are routines where the magician apparently does the magic, but says the child does it by either blowing on something, waving a wand, etc. Although these can be entertaining, they're not exactly what I'm looking for.

An example of what I don't want to do is an effect I saw a local magician do. He did a linking ring routine where at one point he had a child stand in front of him with her hands on the rings. He never let go of them. He linked and unlinked them and had her blow on them to "do the magic." I'm not saying this isn't a good routine; it's just not what I'm looking for. In my opinion, the child in this routine is simply another prop. It's just not my style.

An example of an effect I use is a sponge ball routine. I take out a wand and a sponge ball. I place the sponge ball in my open left hand and hold the wand in my right. I tell the children that "This is a test for new magicians which is used to find out if they have magical abilities". I close my left hand, turn it over, and as I wave the wand over my hand, I recite:

"With a bit of luck,
And not much trouble,
Make the red ball
In my hand DOUBLE".

I tap the wand on the back of my hand, slooowly turn my hand over and open it. There's still only one ball in my hand.

I then ask for the birthday child to come up. I hand him/her the wand and ask them to open their other hand as I did. I place the ball in their hand, they close it and turn it upside down. They do the recitation, wave the wand, tap the back of their hand, and open it. To their amazement and everyone else's, there are two balls in their hand.

There are a few more phases to it. It's the last thing I do as they also get to keep the wand since they have proven they have magical abilities.

But in this case, they "actually" do the magic. The revealing of the result of the magic happens a minute or two after I have last had contact with them. It makes them feel good and look good. And the other kids/parents are amazed as well.

That's the type of thing I'm looking for. I'm especially interested in anything that packs flat/plays big like the aforementioned routine.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Practical magic http://practical-magic.com have a brilliant magic wizards' hat that is really a change bag. All the child assistants wear it during the show. It's constantly shown empty as I put it on them. At the end of the show the birthday child has just finished his/her trick and still has the wand in his/her hand. I say "Let's see if you can do one more piece of magic. What's in your hat? Your head. Tap the hat 3 times with the wand and shout the magic word as loud as you can. Now take the hat off and look inside." Their face is a picture when they pull out a 36" Happy Birthday rabbit silk. This is then used for a photo op after the show.

To show it empty during the show, I first put it over their face and ask "what's in the hat?" "Nothing." "What are you talking about? Your face is in the hat." I put it on their head "Now what's in the hat?" "Your head." This is used as a running gag with every assistant and gets a great reaction from the kids as they chant his/her face, his/her head with every assistant.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Mike,
While I have nothing to add, I will say that this is a really good idea. It's original (to me), and has some serious commercial appeal.

Whatever you do, keep working on it!

Troy Roark
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
When I have a birthday child helping do the magic, I prentend not to notice the magic has happened and the children have to point it out to me. This tactic is really only suitable for the younger children but it does give them the feeling they really are one up on you.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Child Does The Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL