The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie Help - Cork Part of the Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Is there any special preparation that you do to the cork part of the gimmick as you begin using a new zombie. For instance, do you squeeze the cork down a little? How far down on the cork do you want the zombie to nest? And also, as my zombie disconnects, there is a pretty loud sound. Does any preparation minimize this noise?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
How about turning the ball slightly before disconnecting?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
You just have to play with it to find the right pressure for attaching the ball; the ball doesn't require a death grip. It's not necessary to press the cork flat with the surface of the ball.
I disconnect a few beats before I reach the finale; this helps to allay suspicion.
POOF!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Turn it over if it falls off it is too loose, if it stays it is okay. It is really not necessary to secure at all if your routine does not demand it.

Yes, some land it on the arm and speak to the ball while re-adjusting.

This topic is best for the secure portion of the Café.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks.

James - It is when I turn the ball that the noise occurs, it is a pop sound. Maybe with repeated use, the sound will diminish.

Bill - I was trying to be somewhat discrete. I'm unfamiliar with the secure part of the website. Where is it?
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Tony-

You won't see the secure area, The Banquet Room, until you've had 50 posts here at the Café. It is an area where we are free to discuss the particulars of the secrets of effects.

My immediate thought for your situation might be to simply slow down the moment. I personally don't disengage the ball once it's set, so I can only guess...

When you say it pops, is it like a suction being broken? I've never heard of an airtight zombie ball before. If that is the case you could notch the side of the gaff from top to bottom to prevent a seal from occurring. Just a thought.
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
Hi all. I have found that as I use the thing in practice, the cork generally wares itself down, so that it is skinnier at the top, then it is at the thus preventing the "pop" which I have had as well. If you cannot wait for it to air itself down, a good pocket knife and a little whittling should do the job.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Thanks Brian - I'm glad someone else had this problem. I couldn't figure out how else to explain the noise. It is basically friction. It is stuck and then it pops loose, and the sound reverbarates in the hollow. What you are saying makes sense. Repeated use pushing the cork down a bit. Thanks...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
WizardB
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of WizardB
Glad to help. It is friction and maybe a little bit of suction as well. Also under certain performing conditions (stage, music etc...) it shouldn't matter unless you are in a parlor setting or close up.
Thanks
Brian
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Check out Tommy Wonders work with the construction and performance of this effect. You can find it in The Books of Wonder vol 2. You will not regret it.
Aim To Amaze
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Tony, I use a fine grit sand paper and sand down mine to reduce the size, just a little at a time till you get the fit you like. If over time it becomes to lose, you can swell it again with water.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I second owln_1. A fine gid sandpaper will help you to reduce the diameter of the cork. Do not rush ! Slowly and carefully. You will know when to stop. I usually wrap the sand paper around the cork and move it back and forth around the cork so it will again be round. Try it.It is easy.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Its with continued use,and feel that comes with working it. One tip to you:
Take a black felt large tip magic marker and stain the cork balck as is the wire.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
O and by the way, warm regards to TORA,nice job and keep doing the good work.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Best way to finish a zombie routine-having performed this for over 25 yrs in comedy clubs,cabarets & corporate evnts is-

don't disconnect the gimmick & cork from the ball!!

Theres no need to-elimanates any noise or fiddling around etc

Remember the audience don't know its there!!!

I finish with the ball in my left hand & the gimmick running back up my left inner arm still attached-I throw the cloth up with my RH & catch then drape over my Left arm covering the gimmick but not the ball & bow then place in case as 1 unit

First read this in Merlyn T. Shute book with Joe Karson idea-How to book on Zombie
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi Brent,greetings to you,
Have you tried to sew same color silk(hank)along the borders half way up the silk thus creating a pocket to drop ball n gimmick into? drop silk while maintaining it by its corner. What you think?
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Just wanted to follow up with this thread. I used Alan's idea with the sandpaper on the cork. It worked great and totally fixed the problem. This allows the ball to slide on and off. Thanks for the advise. Everything is much better now...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 22:58, Tony Thomas wrote:
Just wanted to follow up with this thread. I used Alan's idea with the sandpaper on the cork. It worked great and totally fixed the problem. This allows the ball to slide on and off. Thanks for the advise. Everything is much better now...

Tony-

I should have mentioned that the cork as you have it now-thinner at top -lets the ball slideon & off easy

Also good music will hide an noises if any!! Zombie should always be used to music

Zombie should not go longer than 1 minute-much more effective!

Let us know how your next shows go!!!!!
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I used it in my last show and it went great. The kids in the crowd where screaming, "let it fly." They were following along perfectly with the ball's flight. I began with the ball seperate, describing how I have learned to balance this bobber (my zombie is painted like a fishing bobber) on my elbow. As I stabalize the bobber on my elbow, the music starts, and the magic happens. At the end (and I think it is less than a minute) I return to the same positon, with the bobber on my elbow. I drape the fowlard over my forearm and remove the zombie from "everything". I ditch the fowlard and animate the bobber in my hands (I make it look like it is trying to fly out of my hands a couple of times) and then take a bow.

Since my last show, I have incorporated spring flowers into the zombie. So at my next show (Wed of this week), I will let the flowers spring at the end, and then take a bow.

Thanks for everyones help...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Sounds good tony

Keep it up!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie Help - Cork Part of the Gimmick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL