The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Professional Beginnings in Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
My interest in mentalism is that of a hobbyist. I am fascinated by it but will probably never make a living at it. I wonder how many people here are in a position like myself, where you have another occupation that pays the bills, and how many here are professional mentalists?

On that same note, how did you get your start performing mentalism 'professionally'? What kinds of places do you perform (restaurants, corporate, etc.), and how often?

Thanks in advance.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I am in the same position. I am a hobbyist at heart and perform for the love of performing.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
When my income as a mentalist exceeds my current salary, I will be taking the plunge...Until then, I have bills to pay Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
I guess most people here are in a similiar situation.
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
I am mainly a magician with a 'Mind Reading' act

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I have a full time normal job, but I work hard as a mentalist, managed to land a book deal, and have a few devices coming out too...

I still class myself as an amateur, and am very happy as one...i think when you go pro some of the fun kinda goes out of it..just a little...maybe...

I too have bills to pay, and people to look after, so its good to have this interest, as its an interest that lets me entertain, and enjoy myself, and still have a creative output so to speak...
I've asked to be banned
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 15:00, abraxus wrote:

...i think when you go pro some of the fun kinda goes out of it..just a little...maybe...

Interesting. That thought crossed my mind when I watched a professional mentalist perform in Las Vegas.

But I don't think that is unique to mentalism. Generally speaking amateurs are more enthusiastic no matter what the profession.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hmm - interesting. I too have a day job and am mainly a magician by hobby but perform some mentalism effects as part of my 'act.' I've prbably alienated myself from the pro mentalists now (much respect people!)

I've often wondered if turning 'pro' might reduce the fun element too. I used to be a very keen amateur photographer many moons ago, until I took it up as part of my profession in forensics. The hobby element disappeared altogether and so did the fun. It was now a job and at times tedious!

I do hope, one day though, to make a living out of performing - but only when I'm retired and can fall on my pension if it deosnt work out.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Never mind that I have to work full time just to feed my magic addiction. Books mainly.
I don't know what I'm gonna do if my magical career doesn't take off as I predict it will. I'm 31 now and have been studying magic for 2 months shy of 10yrs. I have been paid to perform, had a small documentary made and been in the newspaper and when looking back on these experiences, which was quiet early on in my beginings I could see I was not ready to perform so I've been back to the drawing board daily for the last 6 yrs, buying literature in my field, working on effects geared towards my charecter, NEVER giving up. Then recently, very recently infact I have been going out to test the water and get feedback on my performance - of which mentalism is part -
In the coarse of gathering information on magic over the years here are some things that have resulted...

I have learnt to play the Feadog - irish tin whistle - quiet proficiently, I have learnt to contact juggle and juggle, I've had vocal lessons, acted in a couple of stage productions, the list goes on, really... What I have found as a result of this research is that it has slowly changed me as I knew it would if I immersed myself in it daily - here at the Café, at the coffee shops, writing, reading, performing at partys I get invited to because everyone in my karmic circle knows I'm a mage. It has changed my persona, my charecter, I am starting to become...
As I predicted the English invasion has arrived in America and I can't think of a better place to be than in Los Angeles. Who knows what will happen for me but what I do know is I have sacrificed for my magic, its been a lonely decade but its all been in preparation and I have learned so much about myself that I would never go back and change anything... I only wish here to show that the dream is alive that is all....
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
For myself, becoming pro' hasn't changed the fun one little bit, I love the whole thing. The only fly in the ointment is the bickering that seems to appear on some boards and clubs. Human nature I suppose.

Best Wishes, David
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Way back in the late 80's when I started doing banquets and walk-around magic..I would do zenner cards, bend keys etc when I performed for adult's only. It was a very easy transition for me..as at the time I would " try-out " my routines at local magic clubs in the area..and I had Robert Nelson's books to use as my guide.

The only thing I do different now as back then, I offer readings..in fact I do more readings then anything else. I've never been in a position where I went full-time 100% pro.
Self concept is destiny..
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Thanks for all the comments. I understand if some people don't want to reveal their workplace information, but I would love to hear more stories about how people got started in getting paid to do mentalism.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My one year anniversity with mentalism is around the corner.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
It's probably obvious now with brainchild's previous post, but I think s/he's wondering how you make the transition into making this a business, whether it be full time or occasionally. For example, how did you go about getting your first job? how did you get the shows after that one? do you advertise yourself? if so, how exactly? do you use an agent now that you have a foothold in the business?

I think he's just looking for tips on how to begin making money.

brainchild, excuse me if I'm incorrect with this assumption.

/paul.f
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 23:45, Dynamike wrote:
My one year anniversity with mentalism is around the corner.

anniversary

My bad.
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 23:48, burst wrote:
It's probably obvious now with brainchild's previous post, but I think s/he's wondering how you make the transition into making this a business, whether it be full time or occasionally. For example, how did you go about getting your first job? how did you get the shows after that one? do you advertise yourself? if so, how exactly? do you use an agent now that you have a foothold in the business?

I think he's just looking for tips on how to begin making money.

brainchild, excuse me if I'm incorrect with this assumption.

/paul.f

You are not incorrect. I am looking for people to answer my original question, but as I indicated before, I can understand people not wanting to admit they are just hobbyists like myself.
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Some of the best mentalists and mentalism inventors in the world are part-timers and hobbyists - there's no shame in it.

I suspect you're not seeing more responses because many consider business advice to be more precious than methods and gimmicks.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Drew Macadam's book making money from magic will give you some answers..
TheGreatGalling
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of TheGreatGalling
I am a hobbyist and love it. I have always had a fear that making money from magic might just turn it into another job and I will lose a little of the passion. I know its not logical but it has been a consideration for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Professional Beginnings in Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL