The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Rotation of Floating Human (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JDKelley
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
This illusion seems to be quite the crowd pleaser. Anyway, the effect is rather simple:

You display a table, covered in the front with a large cloth (The description says "silk" but it's not a silk). You have your assistant lie on the table and have someone remove the cloth from the front, allowing your audience to see under the table. The table is supporrted by two wide legs. An assistant removes one leg, leaving the table suspended by one leg, then the other leg is removed and it appears that the table is suspended in mid-air. The table then rotates in a counter-clockwise direction and rotates behind you until it is on your right side. The table stops and rotates clock-wise back to it's orignal position. the legs are then replaced, and your volunteer is removed from the table.

I have a few "peeves" with this apparatus. Please note the following:

1. The "instructions" for this illusion is for only ASSEMBLING the apparatus. It does not include tips, techniques, body positioning...NOTHING. It tells you how to put it together and that's it.

2. the instructions are loosely translated from some other language into English. You have to read the instructions 2 or 3 times to get them to make sense.

3. The table, itself is hinged in the middle for easy packing. A steel frame attaches to the bottom of the table for support. Here's the problem I encountered....The holes that the frame bolted to the table with...are NOT lined up properly...There are 3 bolts that attach the frame to the table. And each of the holes are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches OFF. So, I had to drill NEW holes for the frame to fit properly! Now I have 3 extra holes that are visible from the TOP of the table, as the bolts go through the top of the table through the frame beneath, and held on by wing-nuts

4. The table really sits about 8 nches too low. The height of the table is about "upper-thigh" height. It would be GREAT if it was at least waist high.

5. Do NOT use a volunteer that weighs MORE than you on this table. The table can handle a tremendous amount of weight, but there are balance issues here and your spectator WILL end up in the floor if your not careful.

6. Another thing that ticked me off is the decorative "bling" around the handles of the legs. I had this illusion a day and a half and the "bling" started to come off...I had to get superglue and glue them back on.

On the bright side of it all.....The illusion IS fully operational and looks GREAT when it's performed! It does take a little practice, but it's worth it. I've had the best reactions with this illusion. My ONLY disappointment with this is that the craftsmanship was not what I thought it should be for the price that I paid.

NOTES:

1. Your volunteer on the table does NOT have to be a stooge. I have ALWAYS used an actual audinece member for this illusion.

2. The assistant you have remove the legs MUST be part of the act. No actual volunteers here.

3. You can make your routine with this as long as you want it.

4. You'll need a LARGE ring if you plan on passing a hoop over the table...it is possible to pass it over each end and then pass the ring over the entire table...it will just have to be a large one.

5. This prop uses a base that is covered with felt black art. This is really hard to keep clean...keep a lint roller brush in your case to use on it before set up and at tear down.

RATINGS (1-10):

Setup: 8

Ease of performance: 8

Quality of Craftsmanship: 4

Versatility: 7

Reactions: 10

Price: 4
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Good review. Is the the portable 360 levitation, about $1750.00?
Probably made in India?

Jim
STEPHANE-ARNOW
View Profile
Regular user
FRANCE
136 Posts

Profile of STEPHANE-ARNOW
Hello Jimhlou !

this illusion is made by TORA, who is in IRAN not in India.

The price 1750 dollards istoo expensive We will sell it in our magic store for a price lower in One week. we are calculate in this moment.

cheers!
JDKelley
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of JDKelley
MSRP is $1300. I wasn't sure who made the illusion, but I know whoever it is, needs to go back to the drawing board and try again. Used this in a show recently. During rehearsal, discovered the wood on the base was cracked, too. This thing is crap. Bought it from Murphy's and it's going back to Murphy's...Pronto.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Those are some good points but it is a great effect.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
In my opinion, due to the axis of the rotation,
this suspension is not very deceptive or magical.
A standard Gwynne or Blaney suspension are far more convincing.

There not being a reason for the cloth,
and that an assistant must remove the supports,
weakens the effect even more as the magician cannot move.

The fact that it has flaws in manufacture,
and inadequate instructions and routining makes it worse.

Unfortunately, you usually get what you pay for,
and Grand Illusions generally have a high price-tag for good reason.

A swiveling version of a Super-X is not what the magic world needed.
I try to use quality materials Made locally, so I know they are safe as well.

Magically,
Walt
Tanner & Company
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Tanner & Company
So can you tell me, is it a suspended or a floating?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Tanner:

Yes it is.

Jim
magickleark
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magickleark
This items is made from India, as per our knowledge one European dealer brought from india & sell with their mark in magic world. Same done by Tora also.
Jonathan Pendragon
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Pendragon
Go back back and watch the 1986 TV special "Magic in he Magic Kingdom." Charlotte I gave the first (ever) performance of 360 degree levitation using the method you describe. As Charlotte begins to revolve around me, she also begins to float down. As she returns, she floats back up. I designed this method and John Gaughan built it. We understood the importance of not telegraphing the pivot points 26 years ago, in fact, it was why we were experimenting with a new design in the first place. A vertically static 360 Super X? It's not a good idea and the good idea it is based is not their's, it's mine.

Jonathan Pendragon.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
How can I get ahold of a copy of "Magic in he Magic Kingdom"? Is that the special where Steinmeyer/ Seigfried and Roy made the Disney castle vanish?
Tora BKK
View Profile
New user
Bangkok - Thailand
2 Posts

Profile of Tora BKK
Hello dear magickleark!
This is from TORA MAGIC.
To let you know and other friends ; TORA MAGIC doesn't make his items in INDIA.
I don't know HOW you got this result; just I'd like to inform that we NEVER making our products in INDIA.
Thank you for your attention
Bamboozled
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Bamboozled
Any video of someone performing this illusion?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Thank you TORA. I was ASKING if it were made in India. I've bought some worthless props made there.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Rotation of Floating Human (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL