The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ramsay's Four Bean Trick Handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
396 Posts

Profile of Jay
I learned this in 'Magic for Dummies' recently, as I was browsing through it. This trick may be worth the price of the book, as they say, and I want this to be an amazing thing that I do, not just a cheap parlor trick. So, to make the handling a little better, I am trying to come up with a way to not display the bean on the web of my hand before I push it into my nose/ear/eye. That move just seems fishy to me for some reason, even though it has FLOWN by the people I have shown so far. Is this a case of running without being chased, or does anyone have a better idea for this part of the trick? I would enjoy hearing about other handlings and variations, if you've got them. By the way, I am also aware of Tremaine's trick called 'Superman'.

Much appreciated,
Jay Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
One of the coolest variations on this effect is Docc Hilford's. I think it's on one of his "The Weerdist On-Stage" vids.

He talks about Renfield, Dracula's deranged servant, who subsisted on a diet of flies (for those who saw Coppola's film, Tom Waits turns in a great performance as this character). Then Hilford does the bean routine, only instead of pushing beans into his various facial orifices, he uses dead flies (plastic, of course, but bearing a close enough resemblance to the real thing ). His handling, incidentally, is more convincing that the "Magic for Dummies" version (a book which, I agree, is a real bargain).

In whole, Hilford turns the Ramsey routine into several minutes of truly gross, disgusting, and entertaining bizarre magic. Do check it out!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
396 Posts

Profile of Jay
Awesome, Neil! Thanks for the tip. Docc's video is now on my 'to-buy' list.

Jay Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26967 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I feel like a dummy asking this..

Why/How is John Ramsay's routine included in a book for the general public?

This trick would be so very cool if done in a venue having a diamond vision screen to present the action in unflinching detail and at one thousand (1000) times bigger than life.

Re: the thumb-web placement... just resist the temptation to use pills or go for the direct nostril inhale gag. Druggie humor does not always play well.

Congrats on finding this routine. Andy Galloway would likely be pleased to know someone is working on the thing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
396 Posts

Profile of Jay
JonTown, I remember seeing this routine in the Dummies book when I first bought it about a year and a half ago. It's one of those things I looked at and then dismissed, but man is it good! I have NO idea why a trick this good would be in a book designed for beginners. I just hope that I do it justice. Based on the responses I have gotten so far (including a hard-earned positive one from my wife), I am doing this little effect proud. And I am now sorry to be a dummy, but who is Andy Galloway?

Best,
Jay Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26967 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2003-02-10 13:15, Jay wrote:
...who is Andy Galloway?

John Ramsay is no longer with us, though fortunatly he had one student. This guy is our only direct link to the Ramsay routines, misdirection and thinking that fooled so many magicians back in 1920-1950 . His name is Andrew Galloway and he lives in Scotland. If you visit the local club... don't sit in his chair. Smile

Andrew Galloway has written a few books on the Ramsay material and also just released two videos of the routines and explanations.

BTW, a dummy would not have asked the question. -Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Just barely skirting the "druggie" theme, this little effect works well in Starbuck's with four little coffee beans (direct appication of caffine). I am also able to convince visitors to Hawaii that it is a native Hawaiian fertility ritual.

This is a routine that is just geeky enough to be very popular. Does Blaine do it yet?

I, too, am amazed by the fact that it was in the "Dummies" book. Wouldn't dummies screw up the sequence and choke to death?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
We can only hope.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
knave
View Profile
New user
UK Newcastle
72 Posts

Profile of knave
You can see Andrew Galloway perform this routine on The Magic of John Ramsay Vol 2 available from International Magic, along with lots of other fantastic material.

http://www.internationalmagic.com/

Both videos are fantastic.

I'm also pretty sure Tom Mullica does a version on one of his impromptu magic tapes.

Cheers
Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Ramsay's Four Bean Trick Handling (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL