The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Copperfield and the same old tired setlist (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
I had the misfortune of paying to see David Copperfield perform the same stale show he's been doing for three years last night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Shame on me for spending $97 on a show that didn't even feature Portal when I could have paid $30 less and would have seen a fresh show (for me, at least) from Lance Burton (he's dark Mondays and I fly out Tuesday). How frustrating. Copperfield's warehouse full of stuff is in Las Vegas. Pull out some classics if you don't have new material such as Walking Thru A Mirror...or Seeing Thru A Woman...or anything that I didn't just see line-for-line, motion-for-motion in Cleveland back in May. At least he wasn't just going through the motions last night, though, and seemed to be into it for once. And the scorpion got it right this time.

ARGH!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
This might have been of interest on the GRAND ILLUSION area, us guys like to get info like this.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I have heard of some magicians that perform the same routines for over 20 years because it works for them. Unfortunately, getting too comfortable doing one thing all the time can result in exactly what you're talking about with the act going stale and just going through the motions.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
8ofdiamonds
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of 8ofdiamonds
Ok I am not sticking up for DC, I'm stating a point here that over years I have heard, and nobody has clued into.

1) Davids show is the same old show for the last 3 years C'mon I want to see something new.
(it works for him for several reasons. each year there are a whole whack of new faces in the audience that have never seen a Copperfield illusion. so it is BRAND NEW TO THEM He is performing for the Public mainly, not for YOU.

2) If I told you to stop doing a DL or a Pass or a DU or A "pick a card routine". and find something new to do what would you say? oh wait let me guess? its the meat of your whole magic repertoire? Everything you do has been done and done by somebody better,...So why do YOU still do it? Ask yourself that. because you enjoy it, and most people you show it to have never seen it drop everything you have ever done and come up with something new every 6 months I mean new! if you can do that then I bow to you. until then,...David entertains us. it could be worse,..Him and B.Spears could do a dancing duet at the next awards? Hmmmmmmmm
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Big Illusion shows are very expensive, not just the illusions and carting around, but casting, music, correography, light, sound people, stage hands etc. Bringing in one or two new illusions, even if they are close at hand means a whole new training of folks for the routine, which takes many hours (weeks) and lots of money. I've seen Lance's show over several years, largely the same each time, once in a great while a new routine replaces an older one, but on the whole it remains largely the same. Uncle Harry played the basic same show for decades. I don't think Mac King has significantly changed his show in 5 years, but people keep coming back to see it over and over. Of course with his audience participation it is a bit different each time, depending on how the audience member reacts on stage. If you get audiences that still come to see it, why change it? I'm surprised you expected a very different show, I mean you go to see the same movie a second time and you will find it hasn't changed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
I can understand why he does not change it, but I do not plan to go again. It is LARGELY the same for the past 6 years. Heck, I went 4 times hoping to see something new! Yes, the audience participation changed, except for the stooges he uses 1/3 of the time. My son wants to be the kid that "keeps and eye" on the white board. And yes, I know the twins he used in Phoenix and Vegas to do the Scorpion card trick. -Craig
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Ive never seen DC live & wouldnt mind what show he did

Saw the rolling stones last year & guess what-Lots of old songs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-09-17 00:00, photius wrote:
Big Illusion shows are very expensive, not just the illusions and carting around, but casting, music, correography, light, sound people, stage hands etc. Bringing in one or two new illusions, even if they are close at hand means a whole new training of folks for the routine, which takes many hours (weeks) and lots of money. I've seen Lance's show over several years, largely the same each time, once in a great while a new routine replaces an older one, but on the whole it remains largely the same. Uncle Harry played the basic same show for decades. I don't think Mac King has significantly changed his show in 5 years, but people keep coming back to see it over and over. Of course with his audience participation it is a bit different each time, depending on how the audience member reacts on stage. If you get audiences that still come to see it, why change it? I'm surprised you expected a very different show, I mean you go to see the same movie a second time and you will find it hasn't changed.

Actually I don't believe Mac has significantly changed the show in 20 years LOL.

I never understand magicians problems with not changing shows. I have not changed my show much in 10 years. It works, why change it? People are different every show so it is new to them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I saw Lance 2 years ago and the only piece I had never seen before was a mini "playlet" called The Magic Zone. It was a long piece that featured the whole cast and had many actual pieces of magic. I can easily see why these guys don't add stuff very often. Myself, I don't add new things that often. I do go back and re-read things and bring back pieces I haven't done in a while. It might just be a new card revelation to throw in because the venues I perform in have a lot of regulars.
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
With all the great illusions he has access to, I have no idea why his show couldn't be different. he could switch thing up every year and never have to add a new trick. personally I think his current line up is nowhere near as good as some of his older stuff.

portal, 13, lazer illusion all seem flat to me compared to flying, death saw, and barcley house. I love david's magic. he's the reason I became a magician. but he is capable of so much more than hes doing these days
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Age takes it's toll on a person....magical as he is, the poor guys still only human...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
trafman
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of trafman
I travelled from the UK to Vegas last year, I had front seats and saw DC for the first time and he blew me away. I guess that is why his show does not change much it entertains in a big way. There was one or two bits which came across a bit lame but that may have just been due to the power of his opener and the majors in his show which obviously will mean one or two parts cant be as strong. I left my amatuer magicians head outside the theatre, hell I paid a few bucks to see him I wanted to just enjoy it not pull it apart. I have draws and shelves full of routines but keep working with the ones which work for me and seem to go down well.

Cheers trafman
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have seen him live once or twice, and yes, he does indeed blow you away. From the moments even before the show starts he is creating atmosphere with fog and incense, and when he comes on stage, well, he is just the man...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 12:52, clynim wrote:
I have heard of some magicians that perform the same routines for over 20 years because it works for them.

I saw Copperfield live quite a bit in the early '90s and he always kept the show fresh by working on and including new stuff. That has stopped, although I read in another thread that the dancing ties are back in, so at least that's some detour from the same, stale set list of the last six years or so.

Quote:
Big Illusion shows are very expensive, not just the illusions and carting around, but casting, music, correography, light, sound people, stage hands etc. Bringing in one or two new illusions, even if they are close at hand means a whole new training of folks for the routine, which takes many hours (weeks) and lots of money.

New illusions and a lighter schedule to perfect them won't exactly hit him very hard in the pocketbook.

Quote:
I'm surprised you expected a very different show, I mean you go to see the same movie a second time and you will find it hasn't changed.

Your logic eludes me with the movie analogy. Copperfield's show never used to be the same every time...at least not when I saw him in the early '90s. It seems it became that way when the CBS deal ended and he seemingly lost his motivation to include new things.

Quote:
On 2008-03-10 20:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
People are different every show so it is new to them.

I have seen this theory in other threads about the Copperfield show, and it makes sense, but I can't help but feel that he owes us new material as much as he does the laypeople. I tend to believe there are more of us who have seen him live six or seven times than your typical layperson in the audience. He is resting on his laurels.
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I saw David 3 years ago in Bavaria, Germany. I had not expected to see anything new, but the family I had attended with had never seen him, so I knew it would be a treat for them.

Unfortunately, he seemed very off his game. He appeared to be extremely tired and not into the show at all. I said nothing so as not to spoil the show for my family, but they too commented that he looked sick and not very enthusiastic.

I was happy that I was able to see a Magic Legend live, but I was somewhat disappointed.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Agree! Went to see DC in Columbus, Ohio a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like I was watching an automaton- a tired and unenthusiastic show...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Copperfield and the same old tired setlist (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL