The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How About Next Time You Just Slap Me, Okay? :0) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Some people do not like it when I mention mentalism. They had a fun time with my magic. But when I tell them mentalism is next, they want me to leave.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Oh, man...open mouth and insert hoof.... Smile

No, no...I was just using a graphic word picture to illustrate a futile endeavour. Like attempting to engage superstitious belief systems with a rational argument!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Leland...i was kidding! I knew you were refereing to my mother! It's all good!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Sometimes it helps if the spec does not know who you are or what you do. If your "image" is already on the table you might still not approach them as though you were going to perform but just to say hello. That will give you a feel of their attitude and offer to show them something that they can show someone else. That way you will seem to be a teacher as opposed to a performer.Some specs regard magicians as show-offs and that is offensive to them. What brought them to that place "the food"? Or perhaps they have never been there before. Rememebr the famous saying of "a salesman can tell you to go to Hell in such a way that you look forward to the trip". And we are all salesman to a degree.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Coulda been worse... you could have put a lot of effort into entertaining someone who was dead-set against being entertained by you. I'd rather perform for people who want to see the show than for people who don't. Wouldn't you? Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
If it's a steady gig, get the wait staff to offer your services.

A smart lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer to. Restaurant Magicians have to be the same way. If you cold call in any business, you face being turned away.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1629 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-08-22 19:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
If it's a steady gig, get the wait staff to offer your services.

A smart lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already know the answer to. Restaurant Magicians have to be the same way. If you cold call in any business, you face being turned away.

This makes all the sense in the world. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21007 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We can blame people all we want, but the fact is that not all people like magic. Not all people obviously like Christians.

BUT at least in America they are free to believe what they wish. If they don't like magic, well then too bad for us, it is an easy matter to move on to people who do.

But to chastise people for their beliefs, really does seem childish. I am personally offended when some hack shows up and does an "ambush" on me to force me to watch 5 phases of his ACR routine while my soup gets cold. He believes just as strongly as any Christian he is entertaining. Guess what? Dosn't make him right either.

I am not saying this about ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, a "fictitious hack" lets say to be clear. I have NO IDEA if anyone here is and I give everyone the benifit of the doubt as to NOT BEING ONE.

But to just blanket chastise people, not really what at least I am all about.

Not trying to teach the pig to sing, is an art form.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I am a Conservative Evangelical Christian. I have been for almost 39 years. I am a pastor of a Conservative Evangelical church in Boise. I am also a magician. Trust me, I've run into this plenty of times. While I find the position described above (insinuating that the magic I do is somehow connected to Satan or the dark arts) to be ignorant, I try to educate rather than ridicule.

I respond a couple of different ways to this sort of thing. If the person seems to be mildly concerned and states that he is a Christian, I explain, "I am a Christian, too, and everything I do is based on the physical laws that God has put in place." That always seems to work with this type of person.

But I've had some experience with the fanatics, who've said things like, "I don't want to see your magic! You don't know God and are following Satan!" To these I respond, very politely and as graciously as possible, "Very well, sir. I will be happy to refrain from showing you anything, and I hope you enjoy your meal. Before I go, I just want to leave you with one thing to consider: If I were really in league with The Devil and had supernatural powers, would I be doing card tricks in a restaurant in Meridian Idaho? Have a good night!"

Now whether anyone has changed their minds because of this, I don't know. But I suspect at least some have.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21007 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just think a position of ridicule is bad for business in general.

Yep frustrating as can be. BUT consider this, the next table will have their eyes bugged out with what it is you are doing.

That is the beauty of restaurant work. Every week every hour really, NEW faces who will more likely than not tolerate you, heck in 89% of cases adore you.
THOSE are your people. Just let the "I don't want to have fun at any cost" crowd go. No need to break a lot of rock over them.

This crowd includes those who wish to ridicule YOU because they are drunk or have something to prove. No need to teach the pig to sing. LOTS of them can already sing and want to sing in harmony with you!

Again assuming we are all competent. I for one assume we all are.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
I had a man at my last gig who did the "know it all" act...I opened with an effect based on the bizarre twist and he said:

"Shall I tell 'em all how it's done?"

Cheeky little scamp. He also refused to be impressed with the rest of the act, just sitting there practising his all knowing smug look of awesomeness.

Better than the lady a couple of gigs before that who said, like a broken record, "Oh, I know how that's done, I'm not even gonna watch anymore"!

Y-a-w-n...
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hey, Scott:

Great response to the religious type who doesn't believe in Magic, but there is no response so reasonable that it can overcome the diehard conspiracy theorist. I gotta suspect there's someone around your neck of the woods who's gonna say, "See how insidious are your plans to corrupt the world! You've started in a place where NO ONE would suspect you...!"

Shodan: Man, that's just obnoxious. I think I'd prefer the walk-out audience to the one that you described.

Eh, so Magic isn't everyone's cuppa, and rejection leaves neither bruise nor scar. After honest personal inventory to be certain one's presentation or competency is not the cause of said rejection, then perhaps it's best to remember the advice of Magi more wise than I: "Next!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Leland, I think you're a cool cat that handles himself with grace and style!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21007 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Leland simply moving along, really is the answer. I think your a cool guy too.

You do ponit out the best reason. NO answer will be good enough. You can't win when the rules change and you have no idea why.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How About Next Time You Just Slap Me, Okay? :0) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL