We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book of David Solomon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

learachel
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of learachel
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I hope this book doesn't include effects with gaffs that can no longer be purchased from him as per his previous release.
Diamond7Jeff
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Diamond7Jeff
David's new book contains 54 effects, 8 of which require gaffs, all of which are easily made, or can be purchased at magic dealers. After I bought his first book, I purchased a couple of sets of his gaffs with no problem. I do know that a certain number of each gaff set was made (like books, they are run only in a certain number...), and they sold out after some time - it has been ten years since the book's release... The Wisdom of Solomon hss seven sections (In the Beginning, Classic Plots, Ace Assembly, Don May's Genius, Mathematically Speaking, Just a Little Something Extra [gaffs], and For the Card Expert0, and an introduction by John Bannon. Hope this helps!
All the best!
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1608 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
It's been quite a while (several years, 5 years maybe) since I purchased Solomon's mind DVD. That will be a great treat to see David Solomon's new book features items he prepared for Escorial in Spain.

I have heard many great stories about Escorial and this is a great oppotunity to know the latest thinking in Spain Magic.

Look forward to get this book!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great news . . .
Cards never lie
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Just finished reading it and it was quite excellent finally reading some of the ideas he has fooled me so badly with over the years. Especially great reading some of Don May's material in print. That guy is pure brilliance.

/Tomas
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Got my copy and spent time with Dave at the Midwest Magic Jubilee where he lectured. We had a great time remembering the old days in Chicago. When I got home I read through the book and was quite happy. Some really great thinking and wonderful effects are contained within its pages.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Diamond7Jeff
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Diamond7Jeff
A review by Josh Jay (with his kind permission...):

Solomon is wise

David Solomon’s new book is filled with clever material. This isn’t a full review, but an overview of the contents and some of my favorites.

I’m glad David decided to match the two books in appearance. They will look nice on a shelf together. The paper is heavy and low gloss…which is the best combination for a magic book (to me anyway).

I always pay particular attention to a book’s first trick. The first item, like a novel’s first chapter, sets the tone—and every magic author is well aware of this. You can tell a lot about a magic book by the first trick.

David comes out firing. I followed along with “Just Friends,” the first effect in The Wisdom of Solomon, and it’s a clean, simple routine with a really nice finish. As with a lot of David’s effects, it has a nice “display” at the end. This effect, like many others in the book, is aesthetically pleasing.

“Gold from Straw Elevator” was originally published in MAGIC, and I’ve had it in my working repertoire since then. This is a fantastic effect—for me, it’s the best of the elevator card handlings because it bridges the gap between Poker and Blackjack…so it resonates with ANY casual card player.

“Card in the Card Case” is really outstanding. It is a truly self-working card to box that is deceptive, and it’s a trick that fits neatly under the category of “method as clever as the effect.” I mean, in real life I think most of us would just palm the *** card and load it a la Marlo, but this handling is pure fun.

“Hofzinser King City” is David’s take on Bannon’s “Discrepancy City Prediction,” and it’s another effect I urge you to follow along with cards in hand. You can’t appreciate it with a casual read, but the handling is great.

David also explores some classics here, including his personalization of Fechter’s “Be Honest, What is it?” and the Gardner/Marlo Poker Deal. You can tell David uses both of these effects a lot. They’re tight in construction.

The section on Don May was really fascinating for me. Having heard a lot about Don May, I was curious as to his style and effects. The stuff is fantastic. My favorite in this section is “Stinger Monte,” an extremely commercial cutting Queens routine with a fun Find the Lady presentation. The spectator cuts the deck in four packets. You show a Queen on only one of the packets and mix them around, asking the spectator to follow the Queen (monte style). A moment later…a Queen is on top of all four packets. This couldn’t be easier to do, and it’s very effective.

I’m obsessed with multiple shifts and I thought Don’s section on this subject was great. Particularly, I loved methods Four and Five (particularly Four because it controls the Aces to the top, more useful than to the face). And, all the methods have no apparent cutting action. Nice!

David Solomon has done it again. I loved the book and am curious to hear what others think.

Josh
Toe-to-the-mas
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Toe-to-the-mas
Dave's new material is fantastic.
I've been fortunate to session with him. He's a card magic machine!
He just keeps going! Best of all, they're ALL HIS TRICKS.

How on earth does he think of this stuff?

Strong book. All the routines are top shelf.
Get this book if you want to fry brains.
So far I've been performing "Just Friends" ( the first trick in the book ) a lot.
Looks like sleight of hand, but totally self working. In fact, while first learning the routine, I fooled myself! Brilliant. I could see Michael Ammar putting this on an Easy To Master Card Miracles release. Again, how does he think of this stuff?!?!?

Other recommended routines are "Oh Henry Jazz Aces" and the "Which Switch". "Which Switch" is a "worker".

All in all, Two Vernet Thumb Tips WAY UP!
Toe-to-the-mas
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Toe-to-the-mas
Oh, and I'm happy to see Don May's material in The Wisdom of Solomon.
His stuff really hits you hard.

For years I worked at a magic shop. Don's vists were a highlight.
His card handling was uber smooth.
Diamond7Jeff
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Diamond7Jeff
Here is the latest review of David's book, by Jason England... Enjoy!!
http://davidsolomon.net/magic_magazine_reprint.pdf
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3207 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
It got a great review in Genii (or was that Magic?)
Diamond7Jeff
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Diamond7Jeff
The England review comes from the latest Magic mag...
closeupone
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of closeupone
I just saw Dave Solomon lecture last night & purchased The Wisdom of Solomon. I found myself reading until the wee hours of the morning (and paying the price today). This is without doubt one of the better books I have seen in many a year. There truely is something for everyone. Buy it, steal it, or offer Dave sexual favors, but do try to get your hands on a copy.
http://davidsolomon.net/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Probably safer to buy it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Got it before xmas and its a good one, same top notch material as in the previous book.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I love the jokers wild trick. lots of interesting items. not a fan of aces assemblies though
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New book of David Solomon (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL