The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Walk of Death (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I use 'Lamp Oil' which is a fairly pure form of Paraffin-1. It doesn't stink or taste as bad as Paraffin (Kerosene). It does however cost quite a lot more. Nobody doing fire should be using anything other than Paraffin or it's derivatives as it is by far the safest fuel out there. This doesn't mean that it is safe. Nothing with fire is intrinsically safe. It's when you forget how unsafe fire is that the accidents happen. I know three fire-breathers who ended up in hospital (and that's three I know personally, not just know of), two of which had several years experience. I have video of fire jugglers making mistakes and a lovely newspaper article which I might just reproduce if I can find it of a fire breather literally exploding. Remember people, fire is not safe.

Nigel

Did I mention that fire is dangerous?
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Does the fact that you could be sued and lose everything freak anyone out here. There is no policy in the world that can prevent some one from going after your house in this situation if you dropped a blade or fire on some one and caused any damage! Unless the exact wording of the stunt was included in the policy due to the fact the walk of death in itself is considered an recklace stunt. Just playing devils advocate.

Thoughts?

Anton
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
No thoughts?

Anton
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hey Anton,

Could you possibly give an example as to when someone has actually sued someone out of house and home because this stunt has gone wrong?

Take care and God bless!

Mark
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
No I cannont honestly but I feel like in the back of my head that its only a matter of time. I think it would be a realy sad thing if it happened. Its just somthing I wounder how other performers feel about. If it concerns them of if its not big deal to them.

Anton
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
"No thoughts? "

Yo Anton I was working and not near the Café!
So calm down you Norwegian kNife juggler
(with a silent N in Juggler so that alliteration could work)

(Ps. I friend-ed you on Myspace, that's where I got the Norw ...oh forget it)

Anyhow my thoughts,
It a can be dangerous, but I feel that I can hold my pattern with no problem, if I did more tricks then I wouldn't be so cocky, becuase you are right accidents do/can happen .
I think the knives can hurt, but like what has been said they would probably just bump the person if they fell, but torches could set something on fire in an instant.
So no torches for me.

Is that better?
Larry
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Yes...i love you larry.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I always worry about being sued, which is why my public liability covers me for upto £10 million (that's nearly $20 million US).

I know that my policy covers me in the event of accident during both fire and knive juggling... however they do not cover me for fire breathing whilst a member of the audience is in the performing arena nor am I covered for knive throwing (as aposed to juggling).

As for setting fire to someone, I think it is probably best not to get too close when doing this stunt with fire. I also always choose a guy to perform this with. He always has little to no hair, no extra baggy clothes and is usually quite a tall thin guy, which makes it a little easier to walk over him. Plus being short and stocky myself makes for quite a funny picture having the spectator tower over me.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Well rox have you ever dropped on soneone and if so what happened.

Anton
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Never dropped doing this trick in the 10 years I've done it.

Never been sued for anything either, so can't comment.

Has anyone here ever dropped on someone whilst doing this trick???
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I know of one person who dropped fire torches on an audience member whilst performing the walk of death. As far as I know they weren't sued by the person concerned but they did have to pay for a whole new outfit.

The performer was lucky that the clothing the audience member was wearing wasn't particularly flammable.

Everyone can make a mistake during a performance no matter how many times they've performed it before, that's why you minimise risks.

Nigel

Remember folks blase and blaze are only one letter different Smile
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Good point,

Yeah storys in general about jugglers/magicians facing law suits would be great.

Anton
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I have personally seen (I go to a lot of shows)
1. a person get stabbed in the leg during a live performance of the circus clown classic "knife thrower".
2. a guy doing ring toss, brake/chip a kids tooth.
3. NUMEROUS performers hurting people doing the 4 chair gag.
and
I had dinner late one night and it made me just miss a terrible Copperfield knockoff artist have a person choke to death on stage while he did the STUPID marshmallow audience gag!

Larry
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
What on earth is the stupid marshmallow gag?????
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
SERIOUSLY I WANT TO KNOW TOO!

Anton
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

Yeah, I'd be quite interested too! Just to give it a go myself! LOL!

PLEASE TELL US!!!!!!!!!

Take care and God bless

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Please tell me that was a joke...
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Larry has seen all this bad stuff, hmmm... Larry if say I was doing a show, And you happened to be in town to see it.... maybe you could see a movie instead. Just to be on the safe side. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Walk of Death (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL