The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » In need of advice! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Rene Levand (love his work), claims to be the only one-handed professional magician in the world.
He is not.
While I have been doing mental shows at adult parties and banquets, I am interested in pursuing Storytelling Magic for children, adults and families.
I am thinking that I should capitalize on my missing hand, but I am not certain. (I am really not sure what to have as a hook message)
I am requesting your thoughts and responses on this subject and I thank you in advance.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Parson,

I don't think you need to have a hook message in order to capitalize on your missing hand. Don't worry about capitalizing on what is missing, capitalize on what you have! And what you need is simply great magic and a pleasing personality. Your magic and your personality should be so strong that you make the audience forget about the fact that you have only one hand. Then, after the show, when reality sets back in, the audience will be doubly impressed.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Jim is right. That is how I do it. I am about 70% deaf in both ears and have had to learn to adapt to be able to perform the magic in the way I want to perform it. However, the entire show is performed and it is not until the last routine in my show that they are made aware that everything they had just winessed and enjoyed was performed by a deaf magician.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Jim and Kyle,

Thank you very much. I will try to keep all of that in mind.

Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Parson,

I think you should use the missing hand in a story.... How you lost it... . a fight with a pirate, bitten off by a bear, you tried a new magic trick,,, OPPSIE.....

You could use it in brochure such as..... Parson even shares his story how he lost his right hand while fighting with a pirate back in the 1900's......

Get the idea?

Best of luck Smile
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Ravel wrote the left handed (I think) piano concerto in homage for a friend. There are pieces out there for one-handed piano for those who has paralysis of one side of the body. My father, can only do one hand magic, with the help of my mom, and that
is one trick.

What is lacking physically doesn't out weigh what is abundant within our own true abilities to shine.

I have more respect for people who live life to the fullest who tread where people fear who are challenged due to a possible injury or loss than those who have all their necessities.

I've learned a lot since my father's stroke, and the struggles to everyday life. Because until you have to learn to cope with a deficit, no one understand better than you.

And the fact you are making waves for yourself,you have no need to explain. You've proven yourself.

People see it. They merit with what you able to do and not what you can't.

I hope that makes sense.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Marshall Thornside "And the fact you are making waves for yourself,
you have no need to explain. You've proven yourself. "

I don't think my suggestion is away to explain it.... It is more away to include it that would get the kids going and believing in the story.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Parson,
First I have to get out of the way. I actually did find it amusing ,your choice of words. You said you were unsure as to what to use as a "Hook" message. I am not making fun it was just an interesting choice of words for a one handed performer. that's just the way I look at things , I try to find humor in everything. Lifes too short. Anyhow with that being said. I personally (if faced with the same challenge) would not only try to capitalize on it but would also use it in some sort of magical routine. There was a performer I saw years ago (can't recall his name) but he used one of these halloween novelty "living hand" illusions. where one hand is apparently removed and held in the other hand yet it still moves and functions. That could lead into a gimmick or a catch of some sort to get attention. Just a thought.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Thanks, one and all.
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » In need of advice! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL