The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » New to escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jaymeswhite
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite
Hey,
I was always interested in escapes, but I have no clue how to get started. Does anyone have any recommended readings or DVDs to get started on? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
A quick search of this forum would set you on the right road! Use keywords such as "beginning" or "starting", etc.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Read all you can on the art, then choose what area of escapes you'd like to get into and work on that.

My own personal starting point was the straitjacket.

Good luck.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
While I've been doing magic as a hobby for 25 years, and professionally for a year and a half, I had never done escapes. I wanted to learn, so I purchased the Dixie Dooley series and watched them several times. I then added a thumbcuffs routine to my restaurant work. Last week I purchased a straitjacket, and yesterday, I ordered Jay Leslie's DVD on straitjacket escapes.

I say all that to let you know how this "beginner in escapes" is getting started. I've yet to perform the SJ escape, but I'm having a blast practicing! Smile

Brian
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I started with the Novak books available from Cannon's. First I got the chain escapes book, then I eventually got them all. The Hades Encyclopedia of Escapes, also available from Cannon's, is also very good.

The hardest part of escapes is presentation. Here, each student must find his or her own way. The greatest asset here is a good teacher.

You will see the same advice given here again and again: start simple. If you can't be entertaining escaping from rope or chain, you will not be entertaining escaping from some sort of Death Device built by an illusion maker that costs thousands of dollars.

Yours,

Paul
jaymeswhite
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite
Thanks so much.
selphie_trabia
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of selphie_trabia
I'm also rather interested in learning escapology - to add it to my trapeze work. I'll check out those DVDs as suggested... Dixie Dooley, is it?

My only concern is that Escapology seems to be a very male dominated field and I'm definitely a girl... Will that affect the way in which things can be done drastically?

There won't be any teachers for me - There aren't many people in Australia that I know of who will be willing to teach anything.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 11:00, Brian Lehr wrote:
I then added a thumbcuffs routine to my restaurant work.
Brian

What amazes me is how many people actually know how to get out of thumb cuffs.. It shocks me! I have met many that can do it and explain how its done.
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Here is one book that will keep you full of ideas for a long time...Bill McLaury's “ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ESCAPES II”

But I have to agree wholeheartedly with Doc Wilson

Quote:
On 2007-08-23 11:11, drwilson wrote:

The hardest part of escapes is presentation. Here, each student must find his or her own way. The greatest asset here is a good teacher.

Start reading then get a friend to help you practice and always keep a notebook handy to jot down ideas and inspirations. Beginning with rope and chain makes it easy to get props at Home Depot, Tractor Supply Company, or their ilk.

Michael
http://www.ProfessorFountain.com
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
If you want an overview of the world of escapology, see the DVD "Understanding the Art of Escaping". Yes, I am the author but this is exactly why I put so much time and effort into it- to help the person who wants to explore escapology. Its available at Amazon or ebay. Hope it helps.

Clyde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » New to escapes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL