The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A Little Confused (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 03:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
I also assume the people having the party have done this already.

Why assume it when it's such an easy matter to ask your client when they're booking you? No extra phone calls for you; no surprises when you arrive.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 10:01, gadfly3d wrote:
. . . I said of course I was a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and showed him my card.

Touché.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
I will say that I did call ahead once. I was hired to work a private party at a restaurant in downtown Chicago. Thing is, the show was going to be for only one table. The party consisted of 10 people sitting at one table in the middle of the restaurant. Everything worked out great.
This could be another thread, but one of the oddest private parties I've done was for a couple. This lady hired me to come to her house and do a show for her and her boyfriend at midnight.
Danny, I"m agreeing with you on the opposite theory...lol
Patrick
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've done this several times myself and never called the restaurant or inquired if it was ok. It never even occurred to me.

Hmmm...

The only concern I would have about calling ahead of time is that some of these restaurant "managers" love to make up their own rules on the fly. Caught by surprise with this question they might say "NO" just so they can have some power. Then what?

Is this one of those cases where it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey! The IBM called this morning and they let me in! Of course no club would let me in so I'm a nomad but do I get to pull my card too once it comes in?
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1629 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
A client just booked me to do my 30 minute close up show in a restaurant. She had to make sure it was OK with the manager. He was afraid that I'd bug his other guests. My client had to assure him that I wouldn't even talk to them. He has either worked with other hacks or has just never seen a real pro at work. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not 'other' hacks, with hacks in general cuz you are a pro, a stallion, you are...da man! The GM will see you and want you to work for them!
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-24 06:41, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Come on guys what are the chances?

If it happens 2 twice in a lifetime either to you or with you and someone else, follow the simple rule:

Be Nice!!

Good Call.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Just my take,

I've performed a whole lot of times for private parties at restaurants and I have to say that I've called every single time to talk with the manager about what it is I'll be doing. Actually, that's a lie; the times I didn't call, I went to the restaurant in person and spoke with the management. Why? Because:

A) If I go in person, I'm able to scope out the room, if I haven't been there before, and see if there's any sort of logistical problems (only 1 large table? is everyone seated in a circle? is there enough space? etc.)

B) By calling ahead, the management knows that there are Professional Magicians out there that can be hired for entertainment. You would be surprised at the number of managers who have no idea that we exist.

C) Along that same line- the management gets to know a bit about me over the phone and can know what to expect. No one wants surprises in the restaurant business.

That's my take. The only other thing I suggest is to not call or show up during peak times. 4 o'clock seems to be my magic number- the manager's generally there and not too busy. Also call about a week before hand so that the manager can make a note to try and show up and see part of your act if he or she's not scheduled to work that night.

My 2 cents,

jamie

p.s. Just to tie this in with the other thread; you will also find out that they have another performer if that's the case. Even though that's never happened to me, I would probably take another minute to call the house performer and mention the night I'm coming. Maybe I could keep an extra 3 of clubs in my shoe or whatever and he/she could do the same. After all, we're all in this together...
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-08-25 12:29, SoCalPro wrote:
A client just booked me to do my 30 minute close up show in a restaurant. She had to make sure it was OK with the manager. He was afraid that I'd bug his other guests. My client had to assure him that I wouldn't even talk to them. He has either worked with other hacks or has just never seen a real pro at work. Smile

Odds are more likely he has never seen a magician perform in a restuarant and doesn't know what to expect and is just looking out for the wellfare of his guests.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A Little Confused (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL