The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Half Baked review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Ok, I feel I am now ready to give you my honest thoughts and opinion of Half Baked.
All profit from this book goes to charity (Great Ormand Street Hospital and looking into African Poverty charity) which I think we can all agree is a kind thing to do, but I will not let that sway my views of this as surely those who are releasing this would not want me to, and it wouldn't be fair to the members of the Café.
Remember this is just my opinion and views, there will be others, with one coming from Devin Knight.
With that being said, lets get down to business.

Half Baked:

This is the work of a performer known only as Dr O... hmmm... erm... well... nope, never heard of him either, but that's who's on the book (Real name is being kept secret to us as he's leaving behind all things magic).
The book was unfinished and so, with Dr O's blessing, Alex Michael took it upon himself to finish what Dr O started, add some stuff of his own and then release it to us.
So this is 15 years or so worth of work from Dr O along with some added extras from Alex Michael.

Format - A4 Booklet

Price - £20 approx $40

I will start by givingn my opinion on the booklet itself.
It is 47 pages in A4 high quality paper.
There are not too many pictures throughout which might put some of the more visual learners off, and the ones that are included are below average at best.
Overall the spelling is good with just the occasional grammatical error.
Overall it's averagely put together, definitely a far cry from such booklets as Paul Brook's, Christopher Williams etc.

The Material:

There is quite a bit of material ranging from coin productions, matrix efects, coins across etc to transpositions, card effects and even a rose production.
At the back of the booklet is a bunch of out there ideas for existing effects, and some sleights etc are also covered.

I will list everything in the booklet but there are a couple of reasons why I don't want to go over all the material within.
Firstly there is a lot of it and I'd be up all night lol... I wouldn't mind really but the booklet I just didn't find fun to read.
Secondly the effects etc within are in my opinion just not very good. A lot of it is inferior to alternatives already available and there just doesn't feel like there's really anything new really. I felt quite a bit of it was old if that makes sense, not in the way of already been done (though for some that is the case), but some just had an old feel to them for me.

I could go through each and every one giving you all the pros and cons, giving my feelings on each and really going all out, and usually I would, but honestly I wouldn't be able to take going through all of them as the material just feels boring.
I know this sounds harsh and I'll probably be hated by the writers etc, but if I said anything different I'd be lieing, and I said from now on I will always give my 100% honest opinion no matter what, and so at least I know I'm being honest.

So here's a list of the material:

Effects/routines-

You must be joking
Twenty first century coin behind the ear
Pocketed
A smack in the wallet
Production then across
Super coin production
Reverse matrix
Super speedy matrix
International matrix
ESP match
Card to floor
Easy triumph
Fly cards
Two card monkey
Down under genius
Cluedo
Rose production
Ambitious finale
Anniversary coin trick
Thought of cards across
Mind reader

Moves/sleights-

Deck switch
Vernon mora wand spin variation
Shoot out done
Curry turnover advanced
Show off card change
A coin vanish
Printing card technique
Snap toss up card change
Well controlled
Tenkai force
My force
Prisoner ring escape

Extra ideas etc-

Finger tip and magnet work
Lap top matrix
Restored card
Flesh coloured gimmick
Muscle pass to mouth
Scarne aces
Chess set production
The arrow trick
Shuffled deck trick
Black art trick
Bounce link
Knife move
Knife move with card

Overall explanations:

I feel that this contains some pretty poor explanations, I mean you do get told what to do but it's just not very well written or thought out.
The few pics you get are terrible and barely help with the learning process.
Not very good.

Overall difficulty:

Well it differs from completely easy to pretty hard and so offers material over quite a wide spectrum.

Overall:

I feel this is quite possibly one of the worst booklets ive ever read, but then I have not read too many to be honest, but this is certainly no where near on the same level as MindPlays booklet, On Mephistos Shoulder booklet, Taste Conditions booklet etc etc...

It's dull to read, contains average explanations with poorly done pics and contains average material at best.

Pros:

Money goes to charity

Cons:

Just read the review

Not recommended

I feel bad as all the money goes to charity and ive given a harsh review, but agree with me or not I told the truth.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Alex Michael? Isn't it Alex Cahill? That's who Sleight_king is who is offering it out and said he helped put it together...i'm pretty sure I'm right...as he spoke to me about it
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
On the booklet it def say's Alex Michael, ive got it infront of me right now.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Alex tells me Alex Michael is his performing name, Michael is his middle name. But it is Alex Cahill
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Thanks for the review. It is a shame you didn't like it. Well I hope a couple more people post some positive comments about it. The title Half Baked should have indictaed a few things about it but hey. I think It was unfair to say it was useless as I am sure there is something useful in it. hey ho.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Ok, useless to me.

Im sorry you aren't happy with my opinion but I had to be honest.

Lets see what the others have to say when they recieve it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Half Baked review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL