The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Not sure where or when I started this,or where I got it from (it has been a looongggg time ) but I do PN as part of a long rope routine, the ending is that I tie the three ropes together,remove the knots,leaving one long rope, then slide one of the knots back on the rope to show it works either way, and untie the knot, to end with 2 ropes. It probably sounds confusing, but with the patter it does make sense.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
This is part of a routine that I came up with years ago that some of you nightmare workers may like. If you use it please remember and credit appropriately. I start by asking if anyone in the audience has siblings and did you ever draw straws to see who had to wash the dishes or mow the lawn? Well I would like to show you why it was that I never had to. I don’t have straws but these three rope should suffice. A short, medium, and a long rope. Remember the long rope get to relax. Gather up the ends and do the stretch. Have two volunteers come up and each take one end from the top three ends. The top three ends actually are the two ends of the short rope and the one end of the medium rope. The long rope ends are hanging below. Through equivoque you can have the spectators wind up holding the short and medium ropes and you will have the long rope. Obviously this is a very abbreviated version of my routine but enough I feel to get the point across.

I also used to have a delivery man deliver a package to me while I was doing my show. I told the audience that I was a new magic effect that I have been waiting for. There was a rope tied around the bow which I cut off (in three pieces). Upon opening the box I found only instructions. The instructions read "Before you cut the rope that is tied around this box, read all of the instructions first". The rest I think you can figure out.

There is also some good material in Close Up Cavalcade on the nightmare.

I have in my collection a copy of the original patter from Gene Gordon. If you are interested in seeing it please PM me. I have included here the opening paragraph of the original to make clear why "The Professor's Nightmare".

"When I took geometry, our professor always said that there was one axiom we must never forget - things that are equal to one thing are equal to each other - and conversely, things that are unequal to one thing can never be equal to each other. I said ‘professor, I just don’t believe that and I can prove that you are wrong.’ I handed him a short rope, a medium length rope and a long one. You can come up here and be the professor. Examine the ropes."

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
PS: And yes I have attained permission from Phil Willmarth to release the original patter and routine.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Professor's Nightmare.... the first trick I ever learned, it was over 18 yrs ago when I was only 8 yrs old and I have been doing it ever since.... I recently aquired "Cody'd" version of the effect which is great for my late night bar gigs....works wonders BUT I am really interested in the original patter since the patter given to me me years ago has since 'vanished" ...ow... anyway, this material above is some very good assistance for changing up and adding to the effect. JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL