The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Felt like a child again... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
...after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcmtT-09Abw

Isn't it great to be fooled by methods you are fully aware of?

A big THANKYOU to the Pendragons. Can anyone shed some light on the origin of this effects presentation?
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 13:41, Clock wrote:

A big THANKYOU to the Pendragons. Can anyone shed some light on the origin of this effects presentation?

If you are talking of the lighting of the sides to show there is nothing contained then I'd have to say that started with Walter Blaney. He was the first to do the lighting and combine it with an old principle. You can see what I mean here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZWQT0zhRc

Best,

Tim
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Sorry I wasn't specific, I meant...

The 2 girls materializing under the sheets and the amazing final switch at the end all using the "M" box...

Is this their effect or did it originate from someone else? Great stuff!

Thanks Timothy,

Grant Carden
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Ok... so you are talking about " Things that go Bump in the Night" . No its not there effect. Its pretty old. Take a look here and you'll see Murray Hatfield doing it. http://www.murrayhatfield.com/videopromo.html

Best,

Tim
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Wow...had never seen it before.

Thanks Timothy,

Grant Carden
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
My Pleasure Grant,

Do a YouTube search for Bump in the Night and you'll see several variations of the effect including one from our own WACKY DRACKY!

Best,

Tim
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
And if you watch old TV specials, you can also see Henning, Blackstone, etc. do it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 13:58, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 13:41, Clock wrote:

If you are talking of the lighting of the sides to show there is nothing contained then I'd have to say that started with Walter Blaney. He was the first to do the lighting and combine it with an old principle. You can see what I mean here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZWQT0zhRc

Best,

Tim

I disagree that Blaney was the first to combine lighting with an old principle. When he first came out with this effect I recognized it for what it was.

If one was to build this they wouldn’t be stealing because the effect is explained in ‘Grants Illusion Secrets” It is called ‘The Rajah’s Tent Illusion’ The Rajah’s Tent effect didn’t use swords but it is still the very same thing. Lights on three sides to hind the workings.

I mention this before but it seems that noone cares about it and still give Blaney the credit of inventing this effect.

So don’t go hating when you see a knock off on you tube! Because, how can it be a knock off when it was in a book from YEARS ago. Heck I might make it myself because it does look good!

Ray
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Sorry Timothy,

I believe the effect is the standard "Modern Cabinet" illusion routine as described in many books of the past century. "Things that go...." as we know it (ie. Henning)is the application of this routine/effect, to the Selbit "Million Dollar Mystery" BA or M----r tunnel.

The lights on the outside of a m----r cabinet/box is neither new or original as mentioned above, it has be in print before, and used.

This brings us to the "knock-off" or "copy", at what point, or which part does the "copying" begin. There was a long post on the "Origami", if I change the shape of the box, and use it to produce a girl, using the same methodology, is it a "copy" or a "knock-off". Different effect (result), perhaps a slightly different shaped box. ie. as this Modern Cabinet is taller than a Blaney Sword Box/Escape caboinet is it ..........

Hmmmmmmmmm.........just thinking out loud!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 15:42, Magical Dimensions wrote:

I disagree that Blaney was the first to combine lighting with an old principle. When he first came out with this effect I recognized it for what it was.

If one was to build this they wouldn’t be stealing because the effect is explained in ‘Grants Illusion Secrets” It is called ‘The Rajah’s Tent Illusion’ The Rajah’s Tent effect didn’t use swords but it is still the very same thing. Lights on three sides to hind the workings.

I mention this before but it seems that noone cares about it and still give Blaney the credit of inventing this effect.

So don’t go hating when you see a knock off on you tube! Because, how can it be a knock off when it was in a book from YEARS ago. Heck I might make it myself because it does look good!
Ray

Ray ... you are indeed right. I just found an interview with Walter online. Here is a quote of Walters from it.

"I didn't invent the old Sword Cabinet, which was about 150 years old. And I didn't invent the "light principle". The old Magicland Catalog in Dallas advertised "Rajah's Tent", a small cloth tent with burning candles outside the back and two sides. A small bunny was produced from the seemingly empty tent. So I connected the dots, applied the light principle to what was the old, seldom seen, essentially dead Sword Cabinet, and VOILA, a new illusion was born."

I just got off the phone with Walter as well. He told me he never claimed to have invented the light principle and has credited the Rajaj's Tent openly. ( as seen in print in articles similar to the one I quoted from ) He does lay claim to combining it with the sword cabinet as well as other changes that make his cabinet unique.

MAN... you know your illusion history!

Blair... I didn't say the Pendragons knocked off anything.LOL I simply said it was not their original method. Silly me..... I must be getting old. I can now remember Walter telling me that story. When I called it "Bump in the night" I was referring to the effect not the method.

Best,

Tim
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

The "Modern Cabinet" was called "bumped...." but younguns on the board only know it as it refers to the "Henning" method (Selbit's)

Hmmmm......didn't say anyone knocked off anything, I was just wondering when it becomes one??? As in my example with the Chinese Christmas gift, "Origami" method, unusual shaped box (ie. NOT square) that has to be unfolded to get to the treasure inside, girl produced. Knock-off? Copy?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Watch John and Char's version closely, though. No one else in the business (that I know of) can do it like them, for a very specific reason of which most magicians are not aware.
It's all in the reflexes.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

"Watch John and Char's version closely, though. No one else in the business (that I know of) can do it like them, for a very specific reason of which most magicians are not aware."

Are you sure most magicians are not aware????? As you don't indicate what makes it unique (I saw nothing new by the way) your post is rather coy!

PM me with a question as to how (at the part you believe to be unique).

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 19:13, Blair Marshall wrote:

Are you sure most magicians are not aware????? As you don't indicate what makes it unique (I saw nothing new by the way) your post is rather coy!

PM me with a question as to how (at the part you believe to be unique).

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Blair,

I'll PM you with what makes is special. LOL

Best,

Tim
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Maybe unique to this effect.

P.S., I've got to say that "Things Go Bump In The Night" has always been one of my favorites.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Lance performing a version that is a bit different:

Lance Burton
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
My first experience in seeing this was Henning.

Copperfield did it in two fashions. In the early 80s with the bigscreen mounted on front playing a interactive video with a story. Produced elephant at end I think.

Then late 80s with a basic routine and called Black Box.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Do not care who's it is or who did it first, the Pendragons are awesome, check out their sword suspension I would be willing to bet that Charlotte is one of very few women in magic who can do what she does in this effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVTCzxe78......;search=
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

But Tb does the Sword Suspension make you feel like a child again??? (Topic of the post). You may also want to note that no one has questioned their abilities, only discussing the illusion itsself.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Felt like a child again... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL