The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Liquid glass (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi!

what do you think of the illusion "liquid glass" from the great Harry Blackstone?

regards
allan
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have always liked the illusion. William Kennedy builds it.
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
A friend of mine does it in nearly every show and it always gets a great response.
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Can you explain the Illusion please.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 17:45, sly2272 wrote:

I hope if some body give the explanation, by PM.

Paulo
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Harry did an incredible job with this illusion. I remember him performing this here in Redding when he came through many years ago. His patter was very convincing as he told the story of purchasing the glass from the Wizard of Oz set and the glass having magic attributes since it was from the same window that Dorothy looked out and dreamed of being somewhere over the rainbow.... very nice story... and a wonderful routine as well...

-Bryan
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 20:39, Paulo Cabrita wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 17:45, sly2272 wrote:

I hope if some body give the explanation, by PM.

Paulo

Why by PM? Please share on the board with everyone. We are interested in the routine not the explanation.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Yea, wats the effect like??
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
How about a Video?

Oh wait here we go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsMNMhAW77M
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
PhDJChris
View Profile
New user
Kansas
4 Posts

Profile of PhDJChris
Thanks for the video! I always love seeing Blackstone at work.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Ok, I did not understand.
Explain the routine!
Good!
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
152 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !

This video is taken from a wonderfull french TV show "Attention magie" many years ago...

regards
allan
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It's not a bad illusion, but I think it appeals to magicians more than lay audiences.

The reason I am reviving this thread is I inquired to Kennedy about a headhcopper. He said he is no longer making them, and suggested this as the perfect illusion fo a spot in a show where the HC would go.

Now, I am all for suggestive selling, but come on! For comedy, suspense, audience response, this doesn't hold a candle to a HC. Thoughts?
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I would respectfully say that is why he builds illusions and doesn't perform them. Smile

You are correct, this illusion is filler and a puzzle. The headchopper is a time honored classic audience pleaser.

My 2˘

Chris
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Starrpower, did he give a reason as to why he was no longer building head choppers.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
FYI - Bill Smith also told me recently that he's given up on head choppers, and now suggests Wellington. He said that they were "too much work". Too bad, I had always heard that he made a good one...
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Just go with the Head Chopper from Wellington Enterprises. The Liquid Glass is a great effect but, you comparing apples to oranges.

I've got both the See-Thru Guillotine and the Lester Lake Chopper from Wellington. Both are beautiful props and stand up to real, professional use. It's understandable why no one wants to build them any more, there is a lot of labor involved.

If my recommendation isn't enough .. go with Bill Smiths!

Steve
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Kennedy said that there was too much work involved in the chopper and it was not profitable.

Steve, I went to Wellington's site not too long ago and they only list the see-through guillotine. I don't like it. I know all the benefits, but there is something innately appealing about a solid, wooden chopper. The plastic one just looks ... oh, I dunno ... PLASTIC. Cheap. Tricky. It just doesn't seem to have that "real" legitimate feeling that I think a headchopper should project.

Of course, I didn't give Wellington a call, so perhaps I can still get a wooden one built there.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I know what you're talking about but the See Thru Choppper is very impressive when its rolled out on stage. Only the stocks are Plexi .. everything else is made of oak and the blade is huge!

I'm sure if you give him a call he would be able to help you out with the classic style chopper. I restored the one I own, so I do know it inside and out. It was over 25 years old .. a fresh coat of paint and its like new again. The design and mechanics stood the test of time .. its a beauty.

Steve
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I agree with Steve. I owned a Chalet Extended blade guillotine for years. I bought one of the first Wellington See Thru Guillotines and loved it (I still use it almost 14 years later). I bought a used back-up See Thru Guillotine that I keep in the U.S. for my U.S. shows. (I live in Canada now).

The Wellington See Thru Guillotine looks very classy. The metal and oak certainly make it look much more realistic than many red, gold and black head-choppers in my opinion.

Lou
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Liquid glass (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL