The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning Card Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ilovepens
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ilovepens
Any recomendations on beginning card tricks that actually can impress someone, mainly with a normal deck of cards?
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
What sleights do you know?

Some of the first effects I learned which are taught really well are from In The Trenches with Paul Green.

4 on the floor is very simple, yet is a great walkaround effect.

Coming Together is a great double signed card effect where two signed cards become the same card.

Jeopardy is a self working masterpiece that requires no skill, except audience management.

Here, There and Chicago Too requires a bit of skill, but nothing too hard.

Mission Impossible requires one difficuly sleight but can be learned rather quickly.
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
I like the Biddle effect for an opener. Mainly because I can then use that same card and go into an ACR. However, James Brown has an amazing opener. It's on his Still Fancy a Pot of Jam DVD. Well worth the money to pick up.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You might want to start with self working card tricks, such as those in Karl Fulves Self Working Card tricks series until you learn to do sleights. There are many good and impressive self working tricks. Then while you start to learn moves from Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College you will have something to perform.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cycopolos
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Cycopolos
You don't want the opening trick to be tto amazing you want to gradually build the excitement and amazement of the audience as the routine progresses if you open with a killer it will take away from the following tricks.

hope that's helpful
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 02:48, photius wrote:
You might want to start with self working card tricks, such as those in Karl Fulves Self Working Card tricks series until you learn to do sleights. There are many good and impressive self working tricks.

I agree.
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
Card College is an excellent place to start. Some of the tricks aren't all that exciting in my opinion, but I don't think that people buy CC for the tricks. They want to make sure that they are taught the exact way that all the major sleights in card magic should be done. And that is going to be very valuable in the long run.

But don't make the mistake I made by jumping in with the really advanced stuff and having nothing to show people for my first year or so because I was too busy practicing and working on things I was not ready for. The easier and self-working tricks are a great way to get used to performing for people.
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
valueduser
View Profile
New user
Batavia, ny
77 Posts

Profile of valueduser
Michael Ammar's Easy to master card mirracles teaches a lot of cool tricks while also giving a primer on some fundamentals.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
There are two different kinds of answers here. One is to answer what are good for Opener of card magic performance. Another is to answer what sources are good to begin learning Card Magic.

ilovepens-san, Which do you mean by "beginning card tricks"?

Hideo Kato
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
Oh, I think I misread. I will have to second Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. Very impressive stuff. Also, Greg Wilson's Double Take has some very nice effects on it as well.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Learn "Out of This World". That effect floors everyone I show it to.

Recommend Card College Books
PirateJohn
View Profile
Regular user
Anaheim, CA
156 Posts

Profile of PirateJohn
As has been recommended before, "Royal Road to Card Magic" is an excellent source for someone just starting out at card tricks. It was the first magic book I ever bought, and I still reference it on occasion. One particular trick in the book that has become a staple of mine is very easy to perform, requiring only a couple of sleights that any beginner can learn.
ilovepens
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ilovepens
Thanks a lot everyone, your advice will help a lot in the long run, and for now I'm just going to stick to learning all of the sleight of hand and other MUSTS like some basic card forces. By the way, any recommended forces that work nicely, I've found out that the classic force bites back quite a lot and I'm not prepaired for that.
PirateJohn
View Profile
Regular user
Anaheim, CA
156 Posts

Profile of PirateJohn
Yeah, the classic force and fan force do tend to bite back, but I've always found that there's one saving grace when they do -- you haven't told the audience yet what trick you're going to do. If I unsuccessfully try to force a card on someone, then I just smoothly transition to a trick that doesn't involve a force and the audience never knows that I failed.

But, to answer your question, the backslip force and the slide force (I think that's the right name) are 100% effective and only slightly less convincing.
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
I guess that any trick in the book Self-Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves will work.
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Apart from Fulves' books which are excellent also check out Scarne on Card Tricks, Magic With Cards and Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.
ilovepens
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of ilovepens
Card college volume 1 sounds really helpful... any personal experience?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning Card Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL