The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Routines - Which Books/DVDs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
I use my own "Hacker Stack". I mention it here because it's in my lecture notes and they're free for download. Anytime you open a new deck of cards you can be into the Hacker Stack in less than 30 seconds. There are also some good routines in the lecture notes.

Steven Youell
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Steven,
Where can I download the Hacker Stack for free, before venturing into your lecture notes?
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
As far as I know, the Hacker Stack can only be found in Steve's lecture notes. It's much easier to get into Hacker Stack from an American new deck order than into Mnemonica. If I hadn't learnt the Aronson Stack, I'd be seriously learning the Hacker Stack.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 01:09, neoepicurus wrote:
Steven,
Where can I download the Hacker Stack for free, before venturing into your lecture notes?

Yeah, just download the notes. Look up the thread "Lecture Notes Giveaway" here on the forum.

Steven Youell
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
In my oppinion Tamariz´s Mnemonica, Simon Aronson and Lennart Green are the best references to start with the mnemonic deck
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Philippe,
Thanks for letting me know about the Lewis Jones book. I've since got his Seventh Heaven book, a compilation of 7 of his previous books and it does contain a few pages about memorizing decks.

Overall, it is a very impressive book.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I devote a chapter to the mem deck (The Three-Hour Memorised Deck)in my second manuscript "A Guy walks into a bar". There is also a mem deck effect in the new manuscript on card magic. Aronson's material is top notch, as is Tamariz. Barrie Richardson's Theatre of the Mind has the most powerful presentation I've ever seen using a mem deck.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
I keep a red Bicycle deck permanently in Lewis Jones 'Memdeck' order, and use a blue deck for my general tricks - the LJ memorised deck is a beautiful streamlined and very, VERY easy system. It has its limitations but you just build your trick around what it can do, and it is extremely powerful.

It is in Lewis Jones' book "Seventh Heaven" - my single favourite magic book
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Darwin Ortiz's "Scams and Fantasies" contains quite a few memorized deck routines, along with a great selection of other material. Dennis Behr's "Handcrafted Card Magic" also has a lot of material on memorized decks and full deck stacks, as well as a lot of material on shuffling strategies.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Bijan
View Profile
New user
Munich, Germany
45 Posts

Profile of Bijan
This is my post in this forum and I'd like to say Hello to everyone.

HELLO! Smile

Acctually I want to start doing magic tricks with an memorized deck. I created my own stack on basis of Daniel Madison's blood stack.
At the moment I try to learn its.

During this I'm looking for some good tricks with md. I know that some tricks are specially made for special stacks, but there are some independent tricks too.
Which book would you prefer for me to begin with. I don't want to buy books were half of the tricks are specilally made for other stacks than mine, so that I can't use them.
Do you understand what I mean?

By the way. Sorry for my English. I do not often have the opportunity to speak/write English sentences. Smile
But I hope you understand what I'm writing.

Think you very much for your help. Smile
Michael
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
The question is: why did you create your own stack?
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Bijan,
Welcome to the Café!
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I am trying to learn to do the "G" from page 271 of mnemonica, and having problems. I cannot follow the Tamariz explanations because it is unclear (at least to me) where the packets W, V, X, Y, Q, and Z actually come from. If any of you do this, can you help? If you want to respond with an e-mail, my address is deloomis@mindspring.com

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
You can ignore the previous post. I've figured it out. There is a mistake in the instructions which is why it wasn't working for me. If any of you plan to do this, be aware that figure 5 on page 272 is wrong. The Group of cards called Q in Figure 5 is NOT placed on the left hand pile as shown, but onto the Right hand pile. Then the group of cards labeled Z is placed onto the left hand pile.

This is a very deceptive procedure and now that I have it figured out I'm working on it to build up speed. Tamariz says that speed is necessary and when he speaks... I listen.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Thank you, Dennis.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
reincardation
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of reincardation
I don't see John Born books listed in this thread, but they are very good for mem deck work as well.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3864 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, they are! "Meant to be" is a very interesting book if you are interested in the ACAAN theme, "Seeking the Bridge" in general. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2869 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 03:19, Philippe wrote:
Sorry Apple123.
I've only just seen your question. It is in Lewis Jones Cardiograph, used to cost £12, must still be the same. I am really surprised nobody else has mentioned this system, 10 minuites and you have learnt it.

To put a few things straight: The aforementioned booklet is called "Cardiograms (not "Cardiograph"), and yes: it has recently been reissued as part of "Seventh Heaven".
It should also be noted that Lewis' system is only intended to deduce a card at a given position - not vice versa! This limitation clearly restricts the system from being a choice for the serious mem deck worker.

All that being said, I consider Lewis stuff to be wonderful nonetheless!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2013-03-03 10:46, Dennis Loomis wrote:
You can ignore the previous post. I've figured it out. There is a mistake in the instructions which is why it wasn't working for me. If any of you plan to do this, be aware that figure 5 on page 272 is wrong. The Group of cards called Q in Figure 5 is NOT placed on the left hand pile as shown, but onto the Right hand pile. Then the group of cards labeled Z is placed onto the left hand pile.

This is a very deceptive procedure and now that I have it figured out I'm working on it to build up speed. Tamariz says that speed is necessary and when he speaks... I listen.

Dennis Loomis

Thanks for the correction. At the risk of sounding obvious, I have two tips that will help you learn this one more quickly:

1. While learning the sequence, put the deck in new deck order, not Mnemonica.
2. Learn the moves with the deck spread FACE UP. I guarantee that you'll be able to see what's going on much more easily!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Barry,
Thanks for the tips. Actually I've been doing it with the stack in Aronson order... but I'll try New Deck Order face up as you suggest.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Routines - Which Books/DVDs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL