The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Routines - Which Books/DVDs? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Memorized deck ...Despite tons of magic secrets revealed thanks to p2p technology, youtube, and pirated DVDs sold by illegal shops, it is definitely one of the last 'difficult to expose' to laymen even though they may yelled 'You must remember the whole deck', and yet we can still flood their mind with mystery and impossiblity.

Oh, by the way, Tamariz and Aronson materials are a must to further the study on the subject. Besides, try Joshua Jay Close Up, up close DVD vol.2 where he has detailed view on memorize work, also an in the hand false shuffle, which is extremely easy to do, yet deceptive to the audience.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Noobini is right - I didn't mean to imply one should buy a Malone DVD simply to learn a false cut. (Though I think his routines are great - and I doubt anyone will EVER do Sam the Bellhop as well as Bill does - which is absolutely hysterical).

What I simply wanted to do was give a reference for an in the hands false cut. Almost all false cuts I am aware of are table false cuts.

If anyone knows any sources of other in the hands false cuts, please post them - I'd like to add to my repertoire.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Check out as well Larry Davidson's DVD....

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Has anyone mentioned Eric Mead's "Tangled Web"? If not, it should be on the list. Excellent resource.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Yes, a lot of people have assured me that several stacks can be memorized without confusion. I have asked about that myself in the past. I made my own associations between the numbers and card faces the last time so I think I will probably use a phonetic peg memory system for the next one. Which should help my poor brain to sort the different stacks into different mental drawers.

Uff... Now I suppose I have to get this Workers 5. Never heard of it before. Too much shopping. Also I hate to buy volume 5 of something without getting the rest of the series. Better finish this Aronson book first.Smile

Tons of great false cuts out there... but I feel that going into them is departing from the subject a bit.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
I understand Noobini not wanting to buy volume 5 of a series by itself. Important to note that volumes 1-4 of Michael Close's Workers series are all worth having/reading/studying too. As noted, volume 5 has the Mem Deck material. It's great stuff, and I believe this single chapter from Close's book was responsible for a lot of the current "buzz" on the subject. Tamariz influential, of course, and Simon certainly played a big role, but it was Michael's writing about "Jazzin'" (as he calls it in Workers 5) that really sparked interest with a lot of the working American magicians.

The good news is that Mr. Close now offers the whole Workers series as a single volume from his website. I have no financial interest and nothing to gain by reporting this. Just thought it might make it more attractive than having to buy just volume 5. You really should have the whole series anyway if you are interested in close-up or stand-up magic. Great thinking. Great tricks. Great guy.

SWN
SugarDaddy
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SugarDaddy
Mnemonica, I'm afriad to say. I got the book out of a magic library, and it has easily been the best memorized deck I've used. Though when performing to other magicians, I steer clear of any deck stacks (other than personal ones, as you never know what other magicians know and may pick up on.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Lewis Jones system. Learn it in 15 mins, so simple.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Here is the Workers book now apparently even "cheaper" than the eBook. And only 655 pages Smile http://www.lulu.com/content/146327
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
Philppe,
The Lewis Jones system: Is it in one of his books?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I work extensively with Mnemonica - and it is the basis one of my killer rtricks that wins me the audience big time. The book is great - loaded with tricks and ideas. I have to say that I only perform one out of them. But the book was the basis for me to develop my own stuff.

Highly recommended . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
Andy the cardician, which is the routine from Mnemonica that you perform?

This pdf-file, maintained by Scott Cram, references many memorized-deck effects, books, etc.:
http://members.cox.net/econalc/files/MemoryEffects.pdf
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
The name dropped my mind just now - It is the one where I fail do find four of a kind (freely named by a specator), put the deck after the failed attempt into the hands of the spectator and bingo, all the four of a kind reverse themselves magically in the deck . . . This really kills.

For a while, I was also using some of the gambling routines described in the book.
Cards never lie
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Sorry Apple123.
I've only just seen your question. It is in Lewis Jones Cardiograph, used to cost £12, must still be the same. I am really surprised nobody else has mentioned this system, 10 minuites and you have learnt it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't do any memdeck work, but if I did, it would be Simon's stack. One of the reasons I don't do any is spectators constantly shuffle and sign cards in many of my routines. It's not feasible to keep replacing cards. One thing about Mike Close's work that really intrigued me is if he is doing all memdeck work while strolling, rather than do a false shuffle, he just faros over and over. He actually has the stack memorized after each out faro shuffle. That's devotion.
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
I agree with the recommendations for the Simon Aronson and Juan Tamariz books, In fact if I had only one book in my library it would be Mnemonica (and I use the Aronson Stack), it is that good.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread is the Richard Osterlind Mind Mystery DVD (I don't remember which volume, but that should be easy to find). His memorized stack (The BCS) work on that dvd is excellent. It is also cyclical in nature, so it can be done with ANY memorized deck. The effects are strong and within the grasp of all skill levels. He also teaches a very good false shuffle and some very subtle peeks. I can't remember if he teaches a false cut or not, but for most effects with a memorized stack a false cut is not needed anyway. On this one dvd you get technical tips that will improve the way you work with a memorized stack and several outstanding effects. IMO this dvd is a MUST HAVE for anyone who is working with a memorized deck.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Churken, the BCS stuff can be found on his Mind Mysteries DVD Volume 2. But you can also find BCS in a small e-book (or printed book) that he sells from his web site (that's how I learned it). But as far as I know, the work he teaches with the BCS isn't memorized deck work. It's cyclical, mathematical stack work. That isn't to say that one can't memorize the BCS stack for memorized deck work -- I have, and it works fine for generalized MD stuff -- but his presentation in most of his published instruction of the stack mainly takes advantage of the mathematical properties of BCS.

Also, I doubt he teaches a false cut on the DVD since one can fairly cut BCS without harming the order. Still, I don't have the actual DVD (although I do have the notes for it), so if someone else who has watched it can tell me if I'm wrong, then please correct me.

Bill
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
461 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 02:18, Andy the cardician wrote:
The name dropped my mind just now - It is the one where I fail do find four of a kind (freely named by a specator), put the deck after the failed attempt into the hands of the spectator and bingo, all the four of a kind reverse themselves magially in the deck . . . this really kills.

"All of a Kind", Mnemonica p94.
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
461 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Particularly subtle and pleasing are the "total memory" effects explored by Tamariz using the Half Stack (Mnemonica p195-). In the same vein, there's a beautiful trick in Pit Hartling's Card Fictions using a short stack and faros to great purpose.

Tim
neoepicurus
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of neoepicurus
"Bound to please" is a good book to start with, because it has some memorized deck work but also several extra effects (in fact, it's sort of a collection of different books all in one book).
If you want purely MD effects, also take a look at Aronson's DVD "Sessions with Simon" Volume 3.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Routines - Which Books/DVDs? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL