The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fiery telekinesis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
Hi,

I was wanting help in magically setting a photo on fire using my telekinetic powers. aka, there should be no movement of my hands should just appear that I am holding a photo with my fingers and it bursts into flames, or whatever, it begins to catch fire,you get the idea.
I have few ideas, but I don't want to say anything to reveal anything,(I've been guilty of revealing a secret or two and then getting removed from the board!) although I can safely say I do not want to use chemical magic would anyone like to PM me to share ideas?

Thanks,
Maritess
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Dear Maritess,

At the risk of getting deleted, let me state the obvious. Fire is the old triangle from fire safety: 1) fuel, 2) oxygen, and 3) heat.
The photo is the fuel, OK. Oxygen is the air or chemicals (you don't want chemicals). Heat is chemicals or electronics. If you don't want chemicals you are left with some sort of electrical ignition (resistance heats up something, which lights something combustable), or simulation. By simulation I mean that something that appears burnt is switched for a duplicate that wasn't. Smoke is simulated by fine powder, fire is simulated by the red glow of a reflective metallic foil, as in joke cigarettes from your local magic shop.

This isn't revealing anything, if you won't use chemicals you must use electrical ignition or simulation. Check a few magic dealers for applicable effects. Remember that a strong presentation can in part compensate for limitations in your method. Read Fitzke's Trick Brain, brainstorm with people here, you'll get there. Nothing is impossible.

Yours,

Paul
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
Wow. That was an amazingly patronizing response.
Or maybe it is the nature of how unclear email communication can be.
Or maybe this is the wrong forum to discuss professional questions.
Perhaps I was unclear, I should clarify where I'm coming from. I am a full-time seasoned professional magician that has performed all over the world. I would love to hear anyone who can contribute to this topic that goes beyond telling me that fire requires ignition, and check magic dealers. Thanks,
M
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I don't mean to be patronizing, I am trying to reduce the problem to its essentials. You know what you want to happen. Does it have to be real fire? If not, you can use simulation. If it has to be real fire, and you don't want to use chemicals, where does that leave you? Then you can buy it ready made, modify it, or invent it yourself. The constraints on the problem are clear enough, this channels your thinking to a solution. Sorry if that isn't helpful.

Yours,

Paul
thiago
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
179 Posts

Profile of thiago
There's a hand on fire gimmick that maybe could do the trick for you, it's a TT with a piece of a lighter on it.
You could use fluid over the photo and hold the photo in your hand and have "aparently" no movement. For this you would have to gimmick the photo to.
If you need any aditional info just PM me

Just my humble opinion trying to help you.

Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Hi Maritess,

It just came to me as I read your request that maybe you could use a modified D'Lite TT. A battery that has a single wire attached to both terminals will begin to glow hot. I don't know what can be used to get the paper burning except maybe flashpaper and gasoline or lighter fluid (but that smells too much).
You have a nice idea. Hope this helps.

Great minds think alike huh!?
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Maritess,

Eddie Joseph solved this problem in the 1940’s. His solution is published in “The Art of Eddie Joseph” in an effect called “The Yogi’s Gaze”. In his version a page was torn from a newspaper, held quietly, and it burst into flame. As you can tell from the title, the story line was that by intense concentration and a focused gaze that energy could be generated and focused to the extent that a piece of paper would catch fire. His method would work with a photo, especially a Polaroid photo (it has an area built in that can hide almost anything small

The method requires no wires, no batteries, and no movement by the hand! It is, in fact, very simple and very low Tec.

That is the best I can do without tipping the secret on an open forum.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Hi, get in touch with a chap called Karl Bartoni, he runs the Dragonskull site. He will be able to put you in touch with a dealer who has just what you are looking for ,make sure you outline the effect you are looking to achieve. I attended the Blackpool and Edinborough Bizzare magick conventions and was fortunate to witness this effect .Regards Mark Smile
E.O.I
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
There is a great routine in the book "The Art of Eddie Joseph". The Yogi´s Gaze.
Setting fire to a newspaper by power of concentration.

PM me if you need more info.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3026 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Once again, Harry Murphy saves the day. (Although Magiker runs a close second!)

I was just looking at a listing for that book yesterday. Yet another item I need to buy.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2166 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2003-02-10 18:43, Maritess wrote:
although I can safely say I do not want to use chemical magic

Maybe I'm misremembering here, but the Eddie Joseph method does use chemicals.

Droid
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of 808
Hey Neil,

Could you point me in a good direction for Eddie's book? I've searched high and low but can't seem to find it for sale anywhere...??!!
I know your post is almost two years old but I've only just stumbled upon it.
By the way you haven't released The Xpert yet either!!
Weird eh?? Back to the future or what?!

Cheers

Matt
sometimes people can surprise you!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1738 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
He has released the Xpert.
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of 808
Yup - I know, but his post referring to the book I'm after (two posts above mine)was written in Feb 2003 - The Xpert was released April '03. I meant that when he wrote that post he hadn't released it yet - and I was taking him back in time - and now I feel confused and tearful........
sometimes people can surprise you!
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Stare intensely at the photo for two minutes.

If the image doesn’t burn into flames, try again for four minutes.
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Copies of Eddie Joseph´s book "The Art Of Eddie Joseph" are still available from "Magic Books By Post" in England.

For the effect required I highly recommend Ken deCourcy´s and Billy McComb´s "Bloodfeast Of The Sun"
A copy of this manuscript is possibly available at "Magic Books" as well.

ESPecially & MAGICally

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Fiery telekinesis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL