The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » My Take on The Elevator! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
As a fan of levitations, even before the Blaine-Balducci levitation phenomena, I was very excited to hear that Peter Loughran was releasing a brand new method of self-levitation. I waited in anticipation for my chance to take a look at what I thought, judging by the demo, was going to be an awesome effect to add to the world of self-levitation.

Well, today was the day -- I came home and waiting in my mailbox was the orange slip saying that my Elevator was waiting at the Post Office. I anxiously awaited until I could pick it up, and when I finally got home I practically tore the box open...

What I saw was one amazing piece of apparatus, to say the least. I immediately noticed that The Elevator is an extremely well-made mechanical marvel. The components that make up the gimmick are very heavy duty and very durable -- don't worry about this ever breaking down on you, NO way. It's simple in concept, but believe me, I doubt that ANYONE would ever think of this -- it is so clever!

Aside from the initial excitement of the gimmick itself, I popped the instructional CD in to learn about this new effect. I must say that Peter does an amazing job of explaining how to perform the Elevator. He breaks each part down, step by step, so that you don't ever have to rewind the tape to take another look. He teaches, in detail, the minor subtleties and the major moves so that you can be doing The Elevator minutes after watching the CD. Of course, it will take practice to perform it like Peter, but the practice pays off in the end.

The manuscript included is also an essential learning resource. There are certain issues regarding The Elevator, as well as a presentation very suitable for stage work, included in the manuscript. It also has a section that tells how to register your Elevator with Peter and L2 Illusions, which gives you complete performing rights of the effect. I thought that this was another great idea as well.

In conclusion, I was extremely satisfied with my purchase, and I'm sure that everyone who buys one will be. It's simple in concept, built to last, looks amazing, and is pretty darn clever, to say the least. I think it would be a great follow-up to King Rising, too (OK, shameless plug!).

One last note -- Peter worked extremely hard to create the method for The Elevator, and of course to get them manufactured. Let's keep it a secret! Smile

Great job, Peter! It's one heck of an effect...
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Corey thanks for the great comments!

As most of you know, Corey was the creater of the infamous King's Rising, so this really makes us feel great here at L2ILLUSIONS! Corey has stood by my effect since day one. A personal thanks to you from all of us here at the workshop, and behind the scenes of L2ILLUSIONS.

P.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
XenoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Where Am I?
121 Posts

Profile of XenoMagic
Accurate and honest review Corey. As for me, Peter's Elevator is probably gonna end up being my mainstay for performing street levitations. I've only been practicing with it since Saturday, and I'm feeling very comfortable with it.

However Corey, I also feel I need to throw some kudos your way as well, as King Rising has recently become my favorite stage levitation (utilizing my box variation of which you are aware). It went over great before a group of about 15 (adults this time) this last Friday and I'm now convinced more than ever that you under-priced this levitation. I'm seriously having a tremendous amount of fun with it.

So I have to say thanks to both you and Peter for having added greatly to my repertoire.

Leo Martin
"Watch closely and you'll see that my fingers never leave my hands"
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Leo Martin
<BR><BR>[email]Me@PlanetLeo.com[/email]
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
I ordered mine Sunday, and I'm anxiously waiting. How long did you guys wait?!!

I ordered from Hocus Pocus. Peter, you should really try to take credit cards online from your site. It's much faster than sending payments through the mail. That's why I decided to use Hocus Pocus.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
yoey-

I believe that they are completely sold out, so you may have to wait a couple more weeks to get your unit. Don't quote me on that, but I'm 99% positive.
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
I'm very happy to read here that "competitors" support each others' creativity. It's nice to see such professionalism and honest reviews that come from the heart.

How many of you pros out there are asked on a daily basis, "Hey, dude! Can you levitate like David Blaine?" Like him or hate him, David Blaine has made the Balducci levitation the most-talked-about illusion of the beginning 21st Century.

I hate the Balducci itself because of its restrictions. That's why I don't perform it.

I dislike the current levitation gimmicks on the market because I do not like the fact that I have to alter or tear-apart my clothes, and the gimmicks that do not require the above are not convincing enough for my tastes.

Now I can finally to a levitation about which I am pleased! Almost every angle restriction has been solved, no worries about tearing apart your wardrobe, and now I can stop worrying about selling myself out to Beelzebub again and taking out two mortgages on my soul!

This thing is smart, self-contained, priced just right, and all the kudos go to Peter Loughran for thinking this thing up! Heck with the kudos, a standing-O is in order.

I'm PO'd about one thing, though: I didn't think of it first. Great job, Peter. You are to be commended.

One last thing: if you haven't purchased this or even seen it done, you gotta see Peter in Action with it! The video itself is fairly large but worth the wait. It's up on Hocus Pocus' site at:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/elevatoxr.mpg

You can either click on it and watch or right-click on the link itself and "Save Target As" to your computer. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by posting the link. If so, let me know, and I'll remove it.
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
Hi,

Number 93!

I got mine yesterday. Looks very cool. Just need to practice a bit more. Smile

Well done, Peter. Il have fun with this. Smile

Lewis.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Quote:
On 2003-02-11 11:59, yoey2000 wrote:
Peter, you should really try to take credit cards online from your site, it's much faster than sending payment through mail.

Peter, how about setting up a paypal account? It will take you about 5 minutes and will mean that those who want to order directly from you can do so with a credit/debit card. They will charge you about 3% but I am sure this is a lot lower than the discount you are having to give to the middle men. I have not seen the illusion in person but it sounds amazing. From what I read, you well deserve to keep every Penny paid. Cut out the middle man!

I am sure you know, but if not, Paypal can be found at http://www.paypal.com

Thanks

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
yoey2000
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of yoey2000
If they were sold out, wouldn't they have told me that?
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I am just wondering if there are any weight restrictions? I have looked at different sites to include: hocus-pocus and http://www.masterofillusions.ca. Neither site addresses it. Thank you, Michael
XenoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Where Am I?
121 Posts

Profile of XenoMagic
The weight issue has been mentioned earlier... somewhere in the original mega-thread on the Elevator at the link below:

Peter Loughran's New 'Elevator' Street Levitation

It's a huge thread and it'll probably take you a long time to find the answer, but it's in there. If memory serves, I believe Peter stated that weight was not an issue. And being an owner of the Elevator myself, I'm fairly certain that this is indeed the case. In my personal observation... once you've practiced with it a bit, it shouldn't matter how much you weigh.

Leo Martin
"Watch closely and you'll see that my fingers never leave my hands"
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Leo Martin
<BR><BR>[email]Me@PlanetLeo.com[/email]
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Weight limit is approximately 1000 lbs, so I think it is safe to say there are no weight limitations unless your neighbourhood elephant borrows the device. It can support this weight because of the way it has been designed, adding unbelievable strength to the device. We experimented with a lot of different options in physics in order to come to the final product.

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
All right, Peter,

I have to give in and order your absolutely incredible levitation. This has nothing to do with the fact that you have been so open and honest about every single detail of it during the pre-release or the fact that everyone who owns it loves it! No, Peter, it comes down to the fact that your avatar has a pretty girl in it and that is good enough for me.

Mat

P.S. BTW can I get it quicker through you or should I just wait for Hocus Pocus to get it in stock?

P.P.S. I would rather get it as quick as possible, so if I can send you a check, from MA, sooner than you are shipping it to them please PM me so that I can have attractive girls in my avatar as well. LOL!!!!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2025 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Well Peter, RandomEffects may be an easy sell, but I'm still not convinced. Sure, most everyone who has one seems to love it, and most feel it's worth more than you're charging, and you've offered to fix it if it should ever need repair, and you've answered every question posed about it, from the reasonable to the asinine, in painstaking detail, going so far as to make a new online video clip tailored to people's requests, and you've even got an attractive girl in your avatar... BUT there's one thing you still haven't told us...

How the heck do you pronounce your last name?

Specifically, which "ough" sound is used? The one from tough? Trough? Though? Thought? Through? Plough?

The video claims we won't forget it. Well of course we won't, if we're not even told how to pronounce it in the first place! This is exactly the type of technically-true-yet-misleading wordplay typical of sleazy magic dealer ad copy. These other pushovers may have fallen for it, but I for one will not fork over my cash until you clarify this matter.

:) Smile Smile

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1575 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Just wondering, how much postage need to send it to Hong Kong?

Or should I ask Hocus Pocus?
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
How much postage to ship the girl? Will Hocus-Pocus do that?
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Mike Giusti makes an excellent point that Blaine brought the Balducci to prominence. What's interesting is that before his first TV special, Blaine performed the levitation very sparingly. Reporters would request it, and he would demur until just the right moment and then spring it on them.

I think that the Elevator is potential "miracle man" stuff. I would hope that we all perform it sparingly and build it up for greatest effect. Doing it at the drop of a hat reduces it to just another trick. Self-levitation is a far cry from card tricks and making coins disappear. It puts you in a different category.

If you don't think that doing a signature piece sparingly and at the time when it plays to your greatest advantage is the way to go, see how readily you could get Uri Geller to bend a spoon or David Berglas to find your card at any number.
They don't perform these pieces often, but when they do, they kill.

Bob
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2986 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Thank you, Bob. I couldn't agree more.

There are a lot of tricks out there; but this is one of those few illusions that could and should play like mentalism -- meaning that it should be done deliberately, seriously, and with a perceived chance of failure.

Performed correcty, it should be perceived as real. And such real powers can only be invoked when all the conditions are right. When that happens, it's a special occasion, and one that people should talk about for a very long time.

Remember: Yogis have been attempting levitation for thousands of years. Practitioners of Transcendental Meditation often envision themselves in a floating state, and some swear that while meditating they have left the ground. We now have the incredible power to help an entire audience experience this. I hope we'll use that power wisely.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

I couldn't agree more with you guys!

Quinn, thanks for making me smile!

It's pronounced LOCK-RAN (Loughran) it's an Irish name.

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2025 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Man, six guesses and I still miss. Guess I won't be doing psychic readings anytime soon.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » My Take on The Elevator! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL