The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » The Monte Cristo Deck - a hidden gem (+ a little research) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
This might be a longer post; so sorry for annoying you.

The Monte Cristo Deck

This special printed deck of cards isn't a one-trick-pony, it is probably the most powerful gimmicked deck at all. But unfortunately, this deck is spread rare and the average price is around $50. Uarrrgh...

For those who are in the know, additional threads here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2 and here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

For all the others, a brief description:
- A full and complete deck of cards is removed from its box, unshuffled and in factory order.
- You - or anyone else - shuffles that deck.
- Any card is selected by the spectator - 100% no force!
- card is returned to the deck
- deck is shuffled (spectator or magician)
- card can be found in different ways (count, ACAAN, prediction envelope, etc....)

So it is more a utility deck rather than a one-trick-only-deck.

Because of its capabilities, I am thinking of selling these at a lower price (around $ 30.00) - but I have to sell 5,000 of these decks at least. 8-(

Now being just the "nobody" CardMaker from far away Germany, I don't think I could sell these amounts of cards. What to do?

A reputation maker is needed.
A V.I.P. to put his name on that packet.
A well known magician with a good routine(s) is needed.
A booklet with a bunch of ideas for that deck is a must.

So, my dear fellows.....

Any input about this item?

Thanks to all of you!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
This deck will be mass marketed soon...real soon by a well known person (who is starting up a new web page). I don't want to give anything away too early, but I also would hate to see you get stuck with 5000 decks. I believe the price is going to be between $25 and $30.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have been thinking about getting one from Cards By Martin, but the problem so far has been the price it takes to get a deck like this to Europe... There is a Monte Cristo deck already on the market for around 25$, but it's not on Bicycle back design. Sadly...

J-M
rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
Is there a demo on it?
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
This special deck seems to be of high interest. Lot of non-public information received. Smile

More info, also a video demo, is highly appreciated!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I'm interested! Count me in on purchasing one of these decks (to whomever offers one for sale).
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Tenyo also put out a variant which was like a two way Monte Cristo deck that they supplied with their rabbit in hat puppet years back.

But I would say it IS a one trick pony. Sure there are a FEW alternative presentations one might use, but you're only going to use it for one effect in any one performance without a switch in or out. And I certainly wouldn't let a spectator shuffle it.

I first came across it being mentioned in "202 Methods of Forcing".

Paul.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Any new updates on the mass produced version that was mentioned in September?
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 05:06, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Any new updates on the mass produced version that was mentioned in September?

If I'd knew ..... I'd post it here.
Mine will be available by end of February - if no more sh*t happens!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
I agree with Paul.

"And I certainly wouldn't let a spectator shuffle it." (Oct 16 2007)

How can the spectator shuffle the deck? If I correctly understand the nature of the deck this might be risky to say the least?

Best wishes Andy.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There is a reason why the Monte Cristo deck has lain dormant for all these years, and why, after an initial flurry of interest, it will do so once again. The principle is good for a small packet trick, but wasted in a complete deck. It is easily discovered, easily exposed, and easily replaced by a regular deck and a tiny bit of skill with forcing.

Disclaimer: the above is my personal opinion. I did not consult with a crystal ball before making my prognosis, nor do I wish anyone ill will through either jinx, hex, voodoo or cursing.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have always thought that the Monte Cristo Deck was a neat concept that can lead to some very mind boggling effects.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I use cards from the Monte Cristo Deck for an effect from a DVD released within the past few years, I won't say any more for risk of exposure. But it slays.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-01-24 11:54, Spellbinder wrote:
There is a reason why the Monte Cristo deck has lain dormant for all these years, and why, after an initial flurry of interest, it will do so once again. The principle is good for a small packet trick, but wasted in a complete deck. It is easily discovered, easily exposed, and easily replaced by a regular deck and a tiny bit of skill with forcing.

Disclaimer: the above is my personal opinion. I did not consult with a crystal ball before making my prognosis, nor do I wish anyone ill will through either jinx, hex, voodoo or cursing.

Actually, I used to do a brilliant knock your socks off routine with one borrowing a presentational idea from a Simon Aronson routine. It stunned laymen and magicians, however, I DID ring the deck in. I also have an unshown, (to magicians) not in print routine with the double Monte Cristo deck. and no, I'm not inclined to share.

You are entitled to your opinion,we all are, but you're probably the sort of magician that at late night convention sessions is fooled with a gaffed deck and doesn't even know it. Smile

Paul.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 13:47, Paul wrote:
... you're probably the sort of magician that at late night convention sessions is fooled with a gaffed deck and doesn't even know it. Smile
Paul.

No, I'm the sort of Wizard who, upon seeing someone with a deck of cards in his hands, makes a hasty retreat to the nearest exit. Smile

As for stunned laymen and magicians, I need more than anecdotal evidence, since I have never seen it actually happen in real life, only in personal stories on forums.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Sorry, Spellbinder, perhaps my choice of words has become tainted by the forums. I was rightfully slapped down SmileLet's just say it was a very well received effect that left them with no clue as to how it was accomplished, rather than feeling as if they'd been hit over the head with a two by four. With all the 'killer' routines out there, its a wonder the population isn't decreasing rapidly.

I'll look for you making a hasty retreat at the next convention.Smile

Paul.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Um, for what it's worth, if I had to pick just one gaffed deck, this would be it, or a very very close second.

Steve
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I would like to hear of some good routining using this deck besides the usual "prediction" or "card at any number" routines.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have some rather nice killer applications for a deck like this but I have no intention to sharing em or even showing em to other magicians so they can steal em. The deck still offers tons of possibilities. Just imagine what you would do with a deck that can be shuffled by spectator, shown to be all different and yet they are all the same... Posibilities are frightening...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-01-29 12:32, korttihai_82 wrote:
I have some rather nice killer applications for a deck like this but I have no intention to sharing em or even showing em to other magicians so they can steal em. The deck still offers tons of possibilities. Just imagine what you would do with a deck that can be shuffled by spectator, shown to be all different and yet they are all the same... Posibilities are frightening...

And when you give the spectator the deck to shuffle, what do you say when he overhand shuffles the deck at an angle flashing all the faces? Now, that's a possibility that's frightening! Smile

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » The Monte Cristo Deck - a hidden gem (+ a little research) (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL