The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotist vs. Mentalist income (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am a mentalist. I never studied hypnotism. I was wondering which has the highest income?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not exactly like there is an hourly wage for either. Income depends on a lot of factors, the quality of your act, your performance, marketing, number of bookings, arena you do you shows in, etc. Just mentalist /hypnotist as a determining factor would not give you a real basis of comparrison.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I did both some years ago.
On those years I was able to charge more for a stage Hypnosis Show but was able to book less numbers of shows on a year.
After few years I was able to gain more money with mentalism or stage magic or kid’s shows than Stage Hypnosis. It happened to me, it doesn’t mean that it’s a rule, ok.
That's why I completely agree with Photius.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19823 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh lord are you now going to be a hypnotist?

My guess is you would be paid equally poorly at either venture.

I can name hypnotists making more than mentalists, I can name mentalists making more than some hypnotists.

It is about YOU and how well you can sell what it is you are doing to a paying customer. It is not about your chosen medium. As a matter of fact I can name certain childrens party performers who make more than several hypnotists know. They have a quality product and know how to sell it very well.

Your getting caught up in medium, and should be worried about other things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Either one may earn you more than the magician that you presently appear to be.
I make this statemnet not based solely on appearance but also from having read your posts.
Based upon those two factors I would say that as a hypnotist you could expect to earn well below the national average.

Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the info. I will start ordering my books today.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I know this is off topic, but, Dynamike if you are going to have a landing page for your website anyway, put a form on it that collects name and email address while you are at it. That way you will be building your list while wasting their time with an extra click. Don't take this as criticism, it is a very popular system people are using on the internet to increase dollars. The name and email is sent to your autoresponder where you have set up a series of email responses sent over a period of say 30 days. The internet version of customer service and care.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
237 Posts

Profile of ns
I mean no disrespect but I visited your website at http://aceproductionsusa.com and it looks like you're a good childrens/family entertainer. Just out of curiosity why would you want to be a hypnotist or mentalist when you have a very workable market already? No one is good at all things and it's important to not try and be all things to all people.

I bet if you're good at family magic you'll do better than some of the best hypnotists or mentalists
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19823 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Guys, Mike likes to go from forum to forum and simply say things to see if he can get people to flame him.

I doubt he cares. He has no intent of being a working hypnotist or for that matter mentalist. It seems as if he gets joy out of charging people up. Don't take him seriously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
At one time a hypnotist could easily command higher fees than most types of acts. Over here in the UK.

That was because they were RARE not many around. Long before the desire to sell out and create all these schools and more recently DVDs etc.

The market is now ruined the mystique has gone and its not a business even worth considering anymore.
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 14:04, mindpunisher wrote:
At one time a hypnotist could easily command higher fees than most types of acts. Over here in the UK.

That was because they were RARE not many around. Long before the desire to sell out and create all these schools and more recently DVDs etc.

The market is now ruined the mystique has gone and its not a business even worth considering anymore.

Mindpunisher,

I have to agree with you 100% as for the wholesale selling out of hypnosis.
I call it selling out whenever the term EXPOSED is used in a title! as it
conjours up images of that masked gent from a few years back.

However as for markets in the U.S. every day brings new opportunity, and the only one's complaining that there is no work are those not getting out there and making it happen.

Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19823 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In truth it comes to the performer himself or herself. Not the medium.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
And the current market forces...

The market determines the outcome....always.

The best performers are those that can make best use of the opportunity. Especially with hypnosis more often than not it isn't about performance its about positioning oneself in long theatre runs and venues that easily sell over and over.

If you can't get in quick then your are out in the cold. At least over here that's how it was. Sure you could make a living from doing clubs and universities but it was tough and nowhere near as lucrative as the former.

Sure you have to be good but you don't have to be brilliant to make it as a hypnotist.

Its all gone over here now. Don't think it will ever come back
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Sebastian:

Its really sickening how some people will sell their granny for a few dollars.

Hypnosis stage in particular was never meant to be so widely available. These new breed of merchants really have sucked the last few dollars out of the art...

I don't know if this is a true story but many years ago my mentor drew a simple diagramme to explain the theory of induced hypnosis.

He said that the old hypnotists would never tell the secret and that it was so important to them that they had it tattooed on their bodies.

I don't know if that's true but it sure paint a nicer picture of todays operators.
There are no secrets anymore just the art of the quick buck.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19823 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I welcome you to my island.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Tis a shame that the whole of the art including Mentalism has come to this.

I myself am guilty of selling one(1)manuscript in my carreer for $10.00, of a Mentalism presentation which I created, however it was a charity event if that need be said.

Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I wish Marshall Brodine never sold his magic kits on TV. Too many people became magicians. I wish SW Erdanase never wrote a book, and thank-god, not a DVD on the art of card manipulation. I wish Dia Vernon never wrote either, he exposed WAY to much. I was a private student of Eugene Burgers int he 1980s, too bad he wrote books, becasue now everyone knows how to do Dracula and the Sorority girls, not just me. Too bad Paul Harris wrote awesome books on Astonishment, becasue now eveyone wants to astound people. And *** Jay and Francis marshall for publishing all those manuscripts.

We on this forum now have an opportinity to stop posting, not buy books or DVDs and only let those with money and a week off with an overpriced former carnival worker time learn how to do hypnosis.

A 14 year old kid joined this board the other day. I'm glad nobody helped him, because god forbid, the next generation might not let our art die with us if they learn it too! To quote MP "Hypnosis stage in particular was never meant to be so widely available."

Am I seriously rading what is above?
Oh, as for the title "Stage Hypnosis Exposed" its called marketing. Exposure in hypnosis is an oxymoron. EVERY person who goes to a show, sees EVERYTHING, and so there is no 'secret to sell'. I have a friend who said, "I would never put my induction on a DVD to sell!" he continued, "It will go to my grave with me..." of course the 10-12 people who buy a DVD of his show 4 nights a week for the past 20 years will have it.... And everyone who watched it knew exactly what happened. dah...

What "secret" do people fear will be sold? Its not like we do hypnosis with black art and a ring with a gap in it....

Go ahead, flame me now, but thank-god Ormand McGill published a book for all of us -one most of us are happy to recommend. Bet if he were still alive, his next book would have been on DVD.... Of course, since he is dead, my next book IS on DVD. Just click the banner at the top of this forum!
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9490 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The real question that should be asked is "Will a puppeteer make more money then a Ventriliquist"? (He asks tongue in cheek)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19823 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I personally think the mass marketing of secrets is counter productive as can be.

I have no solution for if we don't teach the new generation, what will we have? Certainly NOT the evolution of the art that much is for certain, probably the opposite actually.

So where is the middle ground? I mean SO much magic nonsense is out there today that is absolutly useless and it is starting to backfire. Hypnosis does suffer from the hacks putting out crap to be bought. Again where is the middle ground?

We absolutly MUST expand to grow to continue. This is a fact and not in dispute. Who should be the decision maker of who gets the knowlege? Definatly not me that is for sure. But a choice between the death of the art and too many people knowing, I will gladly take too many people knowing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-31 18:19, Dynamike wrote:
Thank you for the info. I will start ordering my books today.

I was just kidding because of the first remarks Danny and Black posted. The thread started simply asking who makes the most income. There was nothing mentioned about me becoming a hypnotist until Danny and Black put their first post regarding me becoming one. So I wanted to go with their flow as if I wanted to become one by my second post to show them what they have started.

When I first wanted to become a mentalist a lot of members challenged me. They thought they were going to push me away. But it gave me more interest in proving they were wrong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotist vs. Mentalist income (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL