The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Greetings all
I've been doing magic for adults for about 20 yrs, some stuff for my kids. I've been asked to perform birthday parties at the local toy store for 8-9 yr olds. But I'm not sure what would be fun.

I enjoy close-up cards, coins and sponge balls. I wonder if anyone has any ideas for me.

Thanks

rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Cards don't work too well with kids that age, some coins might work, spongeballs will play well. You need very visual tricks. Attention spans are short at that age. Box magic works well with that age. They like animals so if you can produce a bunny , or birds, or some other small animal that generally plays well. Paper balls over the head, 20th Century Silks, egg bags, squared circle, linking rings, run rabbit run, hippity-hop rabbits, stratosphere, passe passe, dove pans that produce candy, or small animals, magicians clothes line, all play well with that group.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I Think Cards work well for 8-9 year olds. If they were younger then I would agree not to use cards. I would keep the card tricks simple. The rest of photius list also would work well for that age group. Also don't forget the magic coloring book, appearing or disappearing wand, vanishing silk, Rope Magic, change bag, Mismade flag just to name a few.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
I do Professors Nightmare. I'm in the process of getting the magic coloring book & the DeLite (Morph). I also like the wand the breaks when handed out. I don't do any animal stuff or egg baggs. My budget is very small to say the least, so I have to make do with what I have. Thank you both for your ideas. They were of great help. Oh, I have hippity-Hop rabbits, but forget the routine, that's a shame.

Cheers,

Rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
rjsmith608
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rjsmith608
Check out anything from David Ginn. ginnmagic.com David is a major kids worker.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It would help to know what you do have.

If you have the Tarbell volumes you might want go over those for ideas.
I always liked 'T.V. Surprise'.

This topic might also help.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&57
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 17:25, Jaz wrote:
It would help to know what you do have.

If you have the Tarbell volumes you might want go over those for ideas.
I always liked 'T.V. Surprise'.

This topic might also help.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&57

Here's what I have/do in a nut shell-----David Roth coins' across in and out of the box. Copper/silver in a spectators hand. Amb. card Routine, Card under the glass. various sponge ball routines. Professors Nightmare. Triple Coin Change. Sawas Bank Nignt (wild coin routine) and a nice Spellbound routine.

Thanks for the link. it was very helpful.
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
After each show. I ask the kids which thing they like best in my show. 99.9% of the kids always say it's the Rabbit. Kids loves Rabbit.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
With kids, its not the trick, its the journey. The routine has to be fun for the kids.
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Thanks all, Maybe I should stick to adults. I don't do rabbits or egg bags or any of that stuff. Thanks to all for responding.

Blessings,

Rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Rick,

I would not have posted my thoughts on this thread had it not been for your "Maybe I should stick with adults" comment.

This appears to be a promising venue...for a children's entertainer. If you are not comfortable working for children and have no experience you could not only damage your reputation as a performer, but make it difficult for magicians in your area who do specialize in children's magic.

A childs first encounter with a magician is generally at a birthday party, and a bad performance can leave them with a negative opinion of magic and magicians for life.

Not that you would give a bad performance, but this is a specialized field and presents challenges that many very successful adult magicians cannot deal with properly. Some excellent magicians try doing kidshows (steady work) and give it up because they simply don't know how to entertain kids.

Best of luck to you whichever way you decide to go. If you do this, remember that kids are more interested in having fun than the magic.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Andre Hagen, you are 100% right.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Not a good sign to have to ask what would be good for kids. Most stuff would work well. Not just egg bag etc. I've never used an egg bag except to carry my groceries home.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need Ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL