The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove magic limitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
I have been doing magic with doves for about 2 years, the problem I have encountered is that dove magic can only be performed in limited places. I have been asked to perform in special gatherings in restaurants and community centers, but where I tell them I will do magic with doves, the people in charge at the restaurants and community centers do not allow magic with live animals in their facilities. Like to hear from other magicians on how they work around those problems.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I perform private parties in those areas all the time. It is usually in a private room. I do tell the customer what I am bringing, but never the restaurant. I always wait until my crowd is finished eating so no bird feathers or pet hairs will blow unto their food. When I always show an animal my show never gets stopped because the workers are pleased by the performance. I never had a problem from so many years.

Purchase a small little vacuum like the Dirt Devil incase any cleaning is needed after the show. I use a cheap battery powered one.

I also use a back drop to keep my pets behind. I bring them into the area inside a solid box so no will know.

You might want to have your pets checked at a vet prior the show incase after the show someone will want to see papers of neither of your animals having any diseases.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This really is a management decision. The owners are usually just looking out for the rest of it's customers while trying to comply with the board of health. No matter how well we take care of our birds, the mind set of many is that birds carry disease. Many people I know will not even enter a room if there is a bird present.

Mike, you may have gotten away with it so far but sooner or later, you are going to run into a manager that is going to cause a problem for you. It's better to let them and the customer know up front that you use animals. I'd have two acts prepared. If you get a booking and they don't want to see animals, you still have the gig and everyone is happy.

Magicdoc, this also applies to you. I'd have an alternate act ready for those cases where animals are not welcome.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
You have to be careful when animals are in a Food establishment. If there happens to be a health inspector in the place, things can get bad for the establishment, and they will come down hard on the establishment, and in turn the establishment will come down on you. Its best, as Mike has, make sure its a private room, and inform the owners/managers that you will have live animals. Be prepared for them to say "no". Its only because to them, there may be a health risk involved (live animals + food = possible complaint), or they are thinking of their guest first (which makes sense). The guests are the bosses, and if just one complains that there was a bird in the dining area, and they report it to the health board (you know how people like to complain about anything these days), it won't be pretty for you or the establishment. If you do, however, get to perform with a live animal, make sure they (the guest) are finished eating. Our little feathered friends may leave a "gift" of a feather or otherwise, and while eating, can spoil the dinner.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Health risk is the general response I get from the establishment for not allowing the dove magic performance.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a message here. If meals are being served, livestock is frequently prohibited. However, if only drinks are served, no problem!

Is the Health Department saying, "For safety sake, DRINK!" ?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- My wife is a physician. She thinks the people at your table are the ones most likely to make you ill. In real French restaurants people bring their dogs.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 07:36, Bob Sanders wrote:
In real French restaurants people bring their dogs.

Sight seeing dogs, or any type?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In France you can bring your pet dog.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Back in the day, I'd simply make sure that my performance, if I was going to use doves, occurred after dinner. But today, with increased litigiousness and concerns over birds spreading diseases, I'd certainly talk to the mgmt first. The last thing you want is for them to give your customer grief, or ban you from appearing at their location again.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gordon,

I think that is good advice. That applies to fire, smoke, glitter, etc. too.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
...glitter??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove magic limitation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL