The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Ok correct me if I'm wrong. I used to kayak and canoe a fair bit before and canoes seem almost the size of a base. Its light ( able to be caried by one person) and durable. Thing is, wont you get fibreglass cuts?? Everyone that canoes gets them. So wat gurantee is there that you wont get cut by the illusion. Unless ur illusion is covered in Formica. Waht about welding aluminium?? I know it needs more planning to construct the shell but its worth it. Lesser space taken up, Magician/assistant fills up space and size of the illusion is smaller.
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
Kyle,
Why don't you contact Willie Kennedy, he pioneered the 100% aluminum base.
That guy welds so much aluminum, he farts 100% argon.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Quote:
On 2007-10-15 23:51, Fabrison wrote:
Kyle,
Why don't you contact Willie Kennedy, he pioneered the 100% aluminum base.
That guy welds so much aluminum, he farts 100% argon.

LOL...Now we are talking.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Thunderpants!
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
If you reinforce the fiberglass with hardware cloth or the like, cracks are VERY unlikely unless you have a 300 LB assistant. Cracks are easy to repair. We covered the entire think isnide and out with fabric, so little chance of fiber glass cuts or the like. Also, fiberglass gives slightly, so impacts that might crack wood or stress a wood joint are absorbed by the glass.

Holds up fine. If done right, a fiber glass anything (Base, Boat, train) is one continuous thing. Whereas wood bases have joints that can fail.

One inportant thing if you ever decide to work with fiberglass is to remember that Resin ads WEIGHT but not strength. Cloth ads Strength. So, in other words, use as little resin as you can to soak the cloth, and add several layers of cloth.

I have fiberglass molds (for pouring statues) that are made from only a few layers of glass, and I can stand on them.

Now, I LOVE metal base, but I don't weld.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Willie Kennedy...never heard of him. no offence yea...any links? and how much do his bases cost??
this is by far my fav. post yet!
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Here's for you Kyle:

http://www.wkmagic.com
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
William Kennedy - Magic Effects, Design and Construction
William Kennedy designs and constructs magic effects for professional magicians. http://www.wkmagic.com -
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Kyle, glad your enjoying this post thread.

I know I could have posted this under the building forum, but I thought this one REALLY pertained to illusions!! LEAPINLIZARDS...a BIG thanks for coming on this thread, a lot of good advice, tips, experience. Perhaps we can get some users on here with their experiences (NEGATIVE is best, no names though) so we may look at the potential problems and resolve.

What would you suggest for a...

Small taper base ie. Dolls House, Mis made, Stack of Boxes etc.

Medium Base ie. Crystal Casket, Spiker Illusion.

Large Base ie. Gallows, Staircase, anything OVER 3'x 6'

Let's make this one of the most valuable posts on here. Solid info. good for performers, builders....illusionists!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Kyle

Hi !

If you want to be a true professional, if you want that your props NEVER fail in front your precious audience, if you want produce ART and get many or good contracts chose William Kennedy like I did.

FALCONER
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Blair

Hi !

I visited your web site and I saw one illusion that I like very much " Hangman ", because have a beautiful gothic look.

Please, I should be most grateful if can tell me who build this illusion.

FALCONER
FALCONER
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Master John Gaughan
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Silvio, you knew!

Falconer: Yep, the Gallows Illusion was built by John, I believe the large torches were added later by Lee Edwards. It was used on a major T.V. special, when specials were special.

It is a large piece, 5 cases, full staircase and lower level. It is similar to the one built for Peter Reveen.

It is very much a Thayer/Owen design though.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Are his illusions pricy? I'm still thinking of waht to do on top of my deceptive base. THe idea is to do a vanish and reappearance. but I wanna stay away from the norm. So many pple doin the spiker. Issue number 2 is that I only have 9 days more to my entering the army. It sucks! but I guess its for the better. will be out of the magic scene here in Singapore for 2 yrs. So at least I can plan up. Pricey???
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Blair

Many thanks for your answer. The Gallows Illusion is a beautiful prop and very well made by the master builder John Gaughan, in fact, it is very Big.

FALCONER
FALCONER
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-17 02:04, Kyle^Ravin wrote:
Are his illusions pricy? I'm still thinking of waht to do on top of my deceptive base. THe idea is to do a vanish and reappearance. but I wanna stay away from the norm. So many pple doin the spiker. Issue number 2 is that I only have 9 days more to my entering the army. It sucks! but I guess its for the better. will be out of the magic scene here in Singapore for 2 yrs. So at least I can plan up. Pricey???

Good bases start at around 6K. Why don't you contact J.C. Sum. He might help you out on this. Don't let the army wear you out bro. Ever made a tank disappear? Smile
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
HAHAAH. good one silvio. I have already emailed JC regarding this. I'm sure he can whipp out somehtin. Thanks for the different perspective man. Cheers! maybe...i'll do the bullet catch...
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

With the projectile of a tank ?!?! Smile
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24052 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 19:28, Blair Marshall wrote:
Dynamike, take a look at what you posted, I see a 1" x 1" photo attached.

Is this one better?:

Click here to view attached image.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
IT so happens that in a few weeks I will be making a fiberglass base, so I will try to photograph and document the process and share it with those who are interested. I'll post here when I have some pictures or links up.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bases (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL