The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Dynamike: I don't think I would have put the lower molding on, looks nice, but adds to the thickness.

Hey L.L. That would be awesome for all of us here!

Blair Marshall

"ShaZzam!"
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
YEA L.L. COol!
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I agree with Blair. It is possible do better work in this kind of base.

For Leapinglizards :

- Many Thanks for your intention to hep us with your experience about the magic work in bases.

Like me, I believe that all magicians interesteds in Grand Illusions will wait for your post.

FALCONER
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Bases are in my opinion one of the greatest trade secrets in our business.

As master John Gaughan says about his business; Quote: "It is basically hiding people in furniture".

Second would be backloading and the million dollar mistery.

I am glad the exposure geeks didn't find that one out yet...
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the official name for the base used in Copperfield's illusion called "The Snow Dream" (?)? He "changes" to the small boy, and then he reappears again.

Video clips:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=copperfield+snow

Thanks!
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Its a zimmerman base. (well technically its a deceptive base using the zimmerman principle) he uses the same (and a much cleaner) design for "after the show" sequence / Mascott Moth
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the official name for the base used in Copperfield's illusion called "The Snow Dream" (?)? He "changes" to the small boy, and then he reappears again.

Video clips:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=copperfield+snow

Thanks!
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Um . . .

Its a zimmerman base. (well technically its a deceptive base using the zimmerman principle) he uses the same (and a much cleaner) design for "after the show" sequence / Mascott Moth
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
This is my first base. It was built using The Dennis Loomis Dollhouse Illusion plans. I built it out of 1/2" plywood.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......85-1.jpg
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Nice job!!!

Are the wood pieces painted, or stained? They look like natural wood.

Anyone come up with an idea to "hide" tubular legs without getting into a rebuild? I have a couple of old illusions that I would like to do something with. I have an idea or two, but wonder if anyone else has come up with something.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Thank you.

The 1/4" x 1 1/2" oak strips are stained.

Has anyone used the casters in my picture before. I found them at Graingers. They have a threaded stud with a rubber grommet and a heavy threaded washer attached to it. The stud and grommet are inserted into the tube leg and as the grommet is compressed it secures itself to the leg. No welding or brazing needed.

Dan
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Blair, what exactly do you mean by "hide" tubular legs?

Jack
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Hey Dan,

When using the tube legs in my first illusions (40 years ago)and the ones I wrote up for Genii, there was a plastic piece that would fit into the tube and you would "force" the caster stud into it, you would hear a "pop" and it would be locked into the tube. As you say, no fuss, no mess!

Jack, Lee Edwards on his Abbott's Temple had decorative tubes that would fit over the pipes (legs) to give them more substance and shape. I actually forget how he had them attached, and the illusion is packed away. I have often thought of doing a box style leg with clips inside that you could put over the pipes and just "clip" them on.

I was sort of surprised when Dennis released his Doll House plans, he did not have an alternate style leg, in comparison to the pipes (as on his original).

Any thoughts?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Blair, If you have something in mind you wish to "attach" to your legs to give them shape, I might be able to help. Let me know.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Blair,

My original Doll House had pipe legs painted black. I have tried several different leg styles over the years, but I still like the simple pipe legs. Here's why: the larger the legs the less view you have under the house and I want to convince the audience that no one comes up into the house from a stage trap. Second, I want attention higher up, not down low so that they don't look much at the base. Anything colorful (more attractive) down there pulls the eye downward. Hence the simple black pipe legs. The guy who made my Sword Temple made the legs when I was not around and chromed them. They look nice, but I still would prefer flat black legs.

If you watch my Doll House DVD you will see pictures of many different doll houses and several leg styles. Now you know why I didn't recommend them or teach you how to make them.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Hey Dennis glad to hear from you!

I had your original plans so I know you have been consistant. I don't think I would want anything flashy down there either, but I really would like to come up with an altrenate to pipe legs. I do like the Owen Candy Cane Dollhouse legs, they do not have to be quite as flashy, maybe Queen Anne painted dark brown or stained, or even the Owen legs antiqued gold.

My question still is, does anyone have an idea how to cover (hide) the pipes on an existing base? Ideas?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

P.S. As has been said by a previous poster, the pure information on this thread is awesome!

P.P.S. A plug for Dennis: Anyone intested in illusion design/principles would be wise to get Dennis' Doll House DVD.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Blair,
Thanks for your kind words and the plug. Here's the link: http://www.loomismagic.com/item1132.htm

One approach, if you are a wood turner, would be to take a piece of wood maybe 3 x 3 inches and create a simple turned leg. There are any number of different styles you could use, but it should be consistant with the Doll House or Temple. There are systems for duplicate turning so that you can do 4 legs exactly alike. Then, drill a hole down the center of the finished leg which will fit over the pipe leg. Glue and screw them over the pipe legs, finish them as you wish, and Bob's your uncle!

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Leaping lizards,

Why don't you make a visual diary detailing everything from sketch to performance? I would pay to have that docoument.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Hey The Mac, ssssssssssssssssssh!!!!!

He's going to post it HERE....FREE!!! Don't encourage him to sell it!! LOL

WOW, my 1000th posting. Nearly all on Grand Illusion!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Lol..blair..I know I don't think Leaping lizards is a lousy guy who would sell us the file... (psychology 101)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bases (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL