The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Magical Emergency Kit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Hi all

I am looking here to gather knowledge. I am primarily a close up worker, doing weddings, parties, resteraunts etc. I am putting together a magical emergency kit for myself, A kind of first aid kit if something goes wrong.

For example, It will contain a spare T.T. in case I lose mine, Or maybe even a small reel of I.T.?

I know that many close up workers have one of these that they don't leave the house with, so why not have all the knowledge in one place, (if it isn't already), What do you keep in yours??

Thanks

Liam
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Not a belief - An Experience!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Coins, balls, cards, ropes, wand, mini cups, T.T, I.T, loops, purse frame, mini silk streamers, jumbo coins, mouth coils/streamers, etc. But the most important emergency accessories are scissors, scotch tape, double sided tapes, magician wax, glue, safety pin, needles and threads, hanky, art tissue papers, lighter, flash paper, flash thread, flash wool and match sticks.

These may look like a lot of items but they can be packed and organised in a pouch. The accessories are important to me because you never know when they are needed to set up a powerful surprise in case there is a VIP client around.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Tooth brush
toothpaste
deoderant
mints
sharpie
mouth coil
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
Thanks James, That is a very extensive list, I know that I will benifit from it and I hope others do too.

I like your kit frank, its .....to the point! Am I right in thinking that you do an effect with a marked mint, that you eat, reproduce and finish off with a mouth coil!!! Very good!

Anyone else got anything that they cassy in addition to these?
So far I have plasters too, you never quite know......
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have a small fishing tackle box that goes with me to every show. Sometimes I never even unload it from the car, but it is there if I need it. Inside are so many things I can't even name them all. Going strictly from memory, there is everything from a small bottle of hand-sanitizer to needles and spools of thread. I have some of the self-stick pads that are the feet on many of my props, a bottle of glue, a small spray bottle of window cleaner (for mirrors and/or glass), velcro strips, bread ties, paper clips, clothes pins, thumb tacks, screw hooks, lint roller, needle-nosed pliers, boy scout knife, small scissors, exacto knife, bic lighter, double-stick tape, electrical tape, duct tape, scotch tape, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
If you can afford it, have a duplicate of your whole set . . . paid of for me
Cards never lie
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-02 18:30, Andy the cardician wrote:
If you can afford it, have a duplicate of your whole set . . . paid of for me

I support this idea fully. This is the main reason why I buy my items in duplicates.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
That is a good idea, however I think that some of the stuff I use is a little ..... pricey, like Brett Sherwood Silver Cups! Another Set would be lovely, but for £1000 I think it a little pricey!!

The idea that I origionally had was a "just in case box", like of yiou rip something, you have aneedle and cotton, or if you slip and nic your thumb, you have a plaster, or even if you have a freak accident with your stock of flash paper, you have a spare sheet or ten!
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
In my opinion there are 2 types of emergency kit - 1) actual prop and a spare 2) accessories kit as mentioned above.

I believe, in your context of this thread, you mean the actual emergency kit which is the accessories kit.

Actually this kit is very very important as we do not know what would happen.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
A small scissors and razor cutter
eye drops (for those long nights)
Aspirin/Tylenol
small safety pins (these are great for fixing a lost button or wardrobe malfunction)
a good 12 hour nasal spray (if working with a cold)
Plenty of sharpies and decks of cards (I'll use 4 decks a night)
Those internal breath freshening tablets are great. (They take care of garlic and onions)
plenty of rubberbands and ceiling wax
extra mint tins for ToiBox

I get to keep a lot of this stuff at work. I have my own drawer with a lock on it behind the bar.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Wow, Jonathan, besides the emergency kit you have a first aid kit too. Good idea.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Two items I don't see on others' list that are on mine are:

1. Medical locking forceps

and

2. Spray can of Static Guard (Especially for silk magic. Spray the magician!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Flashlight
Lint Roller
Analgesics
Bottle of water for extra hydration (It's hot here)
Mobile phone
Breath mints
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Allot of great ideas here are some more from my kit (not everything in the kit mind you, some of my items are classified)
saftey pins
saftey pins
saftey pins
sewing needles are a must
scissors are a must
magic wax
parafin
gauze
black spray paint quick dry
differnt color nail polish
clear nail polish
hair comb
hot glue gun
wood screws (assorted)
wood glue
Gaff tape and theatrical tie line
electrical tape
4 way screwdriver
utility knife.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Magic Rob
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
99 Posts

Profile of Magic Rob
Michael, what do you use the clear nail polish for?

Everyone's list is very thorough. The only thing I might add would be a butane powered pencil torch (available at Harbor Freight) and some solder in case you have to fix something electronic...
Adrian Deery
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Adrian Deery
Hi Liam

I think that everyone here has great ideas for there kits. A good friend of mine who is an illusionist has a kit that contains things like spare bolts, washers,nuts,etc. Trust me these things get lost a lot and at the worst times. But as far as you are concerned things like a TT and cards and thread etc. is perfect. You can have enough material to do hours of magic with just these few props. I know a lot of performers who always carry a TT and a few packet effects in there wallets at all times. But again as far as you are concerned think of what you do in your close up and than think is there anything that can break, or wear out etc. This should help you be prepared for the worst. Hope this helps.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I forgot to include cloth tape flesh colored BandAids. I use the tape part for "shinny" parts on fakes, TTs, dye tubes, etc. They can even be used to make a gimmick!

(And thanks to Johnny Thompson for giving me ideas about getting more mileage out of tux lapels with tape.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- They can also be used to keep your wrist watch in perfect place when that matters!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic1962
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Magic1962
If you can you should always have a duplicate of your best tricks... and have extra things to throw in if you have trouble with others. When I used to do table hopping, I would always carry extra decks, paddles, sponge balls,etc.

Hope that helps a bit,

Dave
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I keep a shaving kit of magic props in each of my cars always. In it are silks, dye tube, TT, Kennedy Box, Cards, Marker, Endless Chain, Scotch and Soda, Copper, silver, brass transposition, Toothpick, rubber bands, comedy mini wallet, hot rod, color changing wands, chop cup set and a few more items. Although I do larger prop performances, I always have a show on the go.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester Uk
138 Posts

Profile of WKM
What Can I Say?

WOW!!!

When I started this thread (lol) back in September I never expected it to get this much intertest!!!

All of the info here is invaluble, and I would like to give a personal thanks to everyone who has added their thoughts. I started out with just a few items and a small lockable box. My box is now to small but I wouldn't take anything out of it, it all has a very clear use and reason for being there.

It is now a mini show for that impromptu moment as well as a just in case kit for those minor emergencies!

I have a T.T.
I.T.
Loops
Elastic I.T.
Scissors
Plasters
Glue (repositionable)
Stick tape (Single and Double sided)
Sewing needle and thresd
Dye tube
Silks
Roughing Fluid
Cards
Coins (and a suitable shell)
A corner Short Cutter
Magnets
Business Cards
and some packet tricks

In addition I always have some packet tricks that I keep in my JOC plus Wallet which is always on me and I use when I'm working and when I'm not!

Adrians advice about looking at what I actually use was invaluble in its construction.

James and Bob, you two are just a mind of knowledge and again your advice was critical when I considered what I needed.

Overall I think that everyione deserves a mention as this has been the most successfull answer that I have ever had to such a general Question.

Please do continue to post here, I strongly believe that no one can think of everything, so the more answers to this I think the better.

Would this benifit, does any one think, as being a sticky post that stays on view?

Thanks again to everyone, I am sure that I will be looking here every week for any further updates.

Magically yours

Liam.
Liam Ball MMC

www.w-k-m.co.uk

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Magical Emergency Kit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL