The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's your best "value" trick (most "wow" for the buck)? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
While other posts exist about the "most expensive trick" and whether it was worth it,
I'd like to start a threat on tricks that may not be expensive but still generate a great "WOW" factor, or may be expensive, but prove their worth by creating lots of gasps and sighs. The implication being that some really expensive apparati demonstrate their value, but that some "old standbys" and classics also mystify, and that the two categories don't often get compared (separate threads for expensive illusions and for smaller scale, but also electrifying tricks). I guess this could boil down to two simpler questions: Which tricks have the best audience impact at the lower cost range (say under $50), and which tricks, while expensive (up to $500 or even higher) nonetheless justify this cost by adding substantially to your show?

To me, in the first category (under $50), the Invisible Deck, Linking Rings, and the Coloring Book (for kids) offer a great value at a very low cost. In the second category (loosely defined as over $50, but encompassing stuff into the high hundreds which may still be accessible to working professionals and part-timers), I'd put Tim Wisseman's Remote Vision Cube, Chance Wolf's Blow Yur Stack (not cheap, but "makes" the middle of my kid show), Barry Mitchell's Presto Box and Derek Rutt's auto flower (again, not cheap, but impressive to kids when combined with the Magic Tea Pot) and Tortoise and the Hare by Tim Sonefelt (colorful silks and great routine).

Others rave about a wide range of tricks and accessories from spring animals, and egg bags, to flipper coins and sub trunks. What tricks would you rate as "best values" in the two categories (1) under $50 and 2) from $50 to say $999? I know my selections are biased towards the kids show set, but ask more generally for stage, close-up, and mentalist input too.

Thanks.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Category I:
1) Coloring Book
2) Sponge Balls
3) What's Next?

Category II:
1) Hippity Hop Rabbits
2) Die Box

These are from my standard kid/family show.

Vijay
http://www.amazingvijay.com
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Card warp
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
In addition to my all time faves such as Coloring Book, Sponge Balls/Bunnies, Hippity Hop Rabbits, I also like to use Mike Close's Dr. Strangetrick, The Ring and Shoelace, and the El Cheapo Magic Club.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Don Alan's Comedy Egg Trick. At one time it sold for just $5. Great for stage, platform, and living room. It pops-up on the Big Auction every now and then for $10-$15.

It has all the elements necessary for a very entertaining situational presentation: Comedy, Magician In Trouble, Spectator In Trouble (in a good-funny way)
and a Surprise Finish.

That's a lot of bang for your magical buck!

Julie
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
I guess mine has to be my trusty 'Lit Cigarette Pull'. I have had it for almost 15 years now and must have used it thousands of times. It cost less than £1.50 and I haven't had to replace any part of it in all this time. I carry it with me nearly every day but the recent ban on smoking in public places here in the UK, means the opportunities to use it are gradually dwindling.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
carrollbaker
View Profile
New user
Ohio
85 Posts

Profile of carrollbaker
I think the best bang for your buck effect is "Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3- card Monte" I use that as I table hop and gets the best responses as you seemingly do not touch the cards.

My other favorite is the mis-made bill. Both of these are about the same price and definably get the "WOW" factor every time
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
My Sponge Bunnies just keep going and going and well.....going!
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Skinner's 3 Card Monte
U.F. Grants Swing a Ring
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I guess we're talking miracles?

Card to Wallet ( the old standby )

MindCast by Scott Grossberg with Mike Sturgeon's brilliant touches ( http://www.vinnymarini.com/ebook/mindcast.html)

Untouchable by Jeremy Hanrahan ( on the Impervious DVD-www.precisionmagic.com )

Haunted Deck ( Ktanzo's Box Monster-www.ellusionist.com or Justin Millers The Cloak- http://thecloakdvd.com )

Of course there are others. Lots of others. Those are ones I use that come to mind.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Thank you, Chris, that's very, very kind. - Scott
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Gems Under $50:
Invisible Deck = $10
Kamillion Koins = $35 (Almost new store demo Smile)
Sponge balls = $6
Silk Worm IET = $18
Colouring Book (even though it seems like more and more kids have seen this and aren't interested in it anymore) = $10
Don England's Plastic Lady with Plastic Surgery = $18
Kids Comedy Funnel = $25
Good Ole Deck O Bikes = $1.90 (buy in bulk from Costco....12 packs for $19.99)

Let's not forget all the good books....Royal Road to Card Magic, Karl Fulve's Self Working Card Tricks, Now You See It Now You Don't..etc

Basically, I don't buy anything that's too expensive (I can't justify the costs, since magic isn't my profession) I completely respect my magician friends who have elaborate and expensive props, but at this point in my life, it's not for me.
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
320 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
Cups and balls..cant go wrong with that. Oh, and some IT as well.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hopping half, expanded shell, fire wallet, jumping knot.
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
To Pick one for now, I would have to say Holy Moly. I get such great reviews on this one, so the $15-$20 spent on it was really worth while.
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Prohibition,and once I get it set up I'm sure Workeroo.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
The professor's nightmare. I posted earlier but I didn't think of this at the time. Fairly inexpensive and seems to always get a wow.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
A shell, a TT, Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
One of my favorites would a modified version of Miser's Miracle. I usually perform in short sleeves, and the reaction I get is, "and he's got no sleeves!!". I like doing this one with borrowed cards when I can.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
WOW by Katsuya Masuda gets my vote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's your best "value" trick (most "wow" for the buck)? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL