The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Top ten (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
We are working on a trick that is similar to one I saw years ago. I think I saw it on a Copperfield special. I think it was called Top Ten. It involved record albums and worked like a sucker trick.
Is anyone familiar with this trick? My concern is that it is not public domain and I did not want to put it together without rights. Can anyone advise me?
Thanks.
Steve
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I believe that was a Don Wayne effect. It was from the era when DC did many Wayne effects. It is certainly not an effect that has rights held by DC; because dealers sold it for many years. Don Wayne may have the rights; but honestly it seems to me that it is basically the McCombical Deck or Don Allan's Great Put On only with album covers instead of cards. With that in mind, not sure that anyone could claim original concept other than maybe Bill McComb. Would you use record albums in today's society? Seems they are now too passe.

quack
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Thanks for the input.
My plan is to use photographs, which is why I saw it as a similar presentation to DC. I just wanted to check around to be sure.
Better safe than sorry.
Steve
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I think you are on pretty "thick" ice here. Essentially it is just an R/smooth principle. As long as you are doing an original routine I would not sweat it. Harry Anderson uses this principle (very well I might add) over and over again in his jumbo card effects...but they are all different to the eye.

quack
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Thanks. As long we've got the subject going, I have never used ruffing fluid/spray on an 8x10 glossy photograph. Has anyone done that? Does it work?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Try using Krylon Matte Finish Spray #1311. It is the same thing that I use on cards and it is an Arts fixative. It will tone down the over reflection from a glossy photo too! You will probably have to mount the 8 X 10's on some thin cardboard stock so that they don't act like limp fish!

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I think Stanyon's advice is right on target. I would certainly mount the pictures on some cardstock.

quack
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
funny no one recognized it as a redo of the McCombical deck by billy mccomb. bigger cards and fewer is all.
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Bryan,

If you look at my first post above, you will see the reference. Years back I actually saw Top Ten before I knew of Billy's deck. But I got the sequence of events correct later on in life.
quack
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
115 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
A friend of mine did the picture thing, it's great. Also to clarify a previous post, there is a little more to top 10 than Rough, smooth. I perform this effect for about six or seven years now and it was hell to find as Don Wayne stopped making these because paying rights and royalties on album covers became a pricy proposition.
Good luck,
Ronald R. Romiski

By the way, my friend had his photos laminated at a printery and used them that way, and they were roughed.?!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Top ten (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL