The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Resturant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
I was at a resturant today where a magicain was showing me and my girlfriend some magic he was doing a paul Harris routine where there are holes in the middle of the cards and they link together but there are so many versions to that effect I asked what one it was and he said that he made up the trick and that he was the original creater of the trick know I was wondering is that a good move to say? What would you say to someone that is not a magiacain and wants to know who is the creater of the trick what do you say to magicains ?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If a magician asks I tell them. Oddly I'm usually kind of stand offish about asking a magician whos work it is. I will tell you this, I don't claim to have originated something that is anothers work or just a version of others work.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Tell him he's full of #### b/c that was YOUR trick that you came up with 20 years and and it was in print. See what he says. He might come clean...and then so can you....oh how fun that would be!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 01:29, lylemagic wrote:
Tell him he's full of #### b/c that was YOUR trick that you came up with 20 years and and it was in print. See what he says. He might come clean...and then so can you....oh how fun that would be!

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to hearing more of your "good ideas".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would you ask in the first place? Let the guy do his tricks and move on.

PEOPLE have NO IDEA that tricks have names. The concept to them is just idiotic.

Do you think they care who invented what? Let me help. NO! I personally would hope a magician whould know better than to even bring it up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 01:06, rydogg6016 wrote:
I was at a resturant today where a magicain was showing me and my girlfriend some magic ...

Let me stop you right there. The story drifted into fantasy when you claimed you were a magician and that you have a girlfriend. Next time you are at a resturant, please no hassle the magicains.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Would you ask a strolling musician if he knew who wrote the tunes he was playing? What difference does it make? I do have issues with people who claim to have invented various items during their show, when it's obvious that they didn't. If some idiot claims he invented "Sawing a Lady in Half" I'll ask him if his name is Goldin or Selbit.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I wouldn't even has asked especially if they guy is working. If I was so facinated by the effect and couldn't help my self I would of taken a more low key approach. For example, wait until he is free and in private and make formal introductions. Otherwise, your being more or less a heckler. His response may have been sarcastic.

My adivse...leave it alone as others have said..."You shouldn't have asked..."
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
I was at a resturant today where a magicain was showing me and my girlfriend some magic he was doing a paul Harris routine where there are holes in the middle of the cards and they link together but there are so many versions to that effect I asked what one it was and he said that he made up the trick and that he was the original creater of the trick know I was wondering is that a good move to say? What would you say to someone that is not a magiacain and wants to know who is the creater of the trick what do you say to magicains ?

Can anyone find a "period"?
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 10:21, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why would you ask in the first place? Let the guy do his tricks and move on.

PEOPLE have NO IDEA that tricks have names. The concept to them is just idiotic.

Do you think they care who invented what? Let me help. NO! I personally would hope a magician whould know better than to even bring it up.
Well I told him that I was a magicain and do a couple of private partys so I thought why wont he tell me
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
I like what you guys are saying but all I'm asking is what will you do if that happened to you or if someone that is not a magician asks that?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well in my opinion it was a bit out of line. A couple of private parties and he is just supposed to be all "oh yea come on brother magician here is what you want".

I just don't think it was the right time or place is all.

It is not a question that even occurs to those who don't know anything about magic. I have NEVER had anyone ask it in 20+ years. They may ask where you learn, but that is about it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ryan_B_Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Sugar Grove IL
244 Posts

Profile of Ryan_B_Magic
Ok but this guy was asking me about what I do as a magician
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Danny is correct. I've never had a lay person ask about who created anything. If they ask how to learn magic I tell them books or video and they likely never go beyond that and if they do more power to them.

If the magician asked you what you do the answer is "close up" or "kids shows" not "I do a variance of Paul Harris' take on the Prof. version of Houdins.....".

Is that your question or is there something else I'm missing?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-09-03 12:03, SoCalPro wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone find a "period"?

Or comma?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Resturant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL